Common Agnostic and Atheist Objection to the Bible

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Butterfly
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Re: Common Agnostic and Atheist Objection to the Bible

Post by Butterfly »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote: I think you missed Jlay's point, he was saying (well at least I think he is, but Jlay will probably answer for himself) he doesn't know the reason behind the law because the Bible does not give a reason and you are presuming a gender bias which may or may not be the case. You cannot say it is fact without further information, all you have is a plain reading of the text making this is a clear case of your own presuppositions clouding your perception of the Bible.

Dan
The Bible does give a reason for the law, and that is the purification and cleansing of the mother. Purification and cleansing were very important around anything having to do with blood, that was the reason for the purification and cleansing ritual after the birth of a baby, there is always a lot of blood involved...which is no different if the baby is a female or male.

Like I have said many times, it doesn't matter if you come up with a reason why you think there is a time difference...the fact still remains there is a bias and its based on gender.
-
y@};-

Byblos has provided a reasonable explanation for the difference in the cleansing ritual. It is only biased in the sense that men are different from women, it's like saying the Bible God is biased because men are stronger than women which is obviously riddicules.

Dan
There is a good reason why people like you, Byblos, and jlay are trying to justify the bias of the Bible, or say that it's not there and that is because you know bias is wrong. Otherwise, no one would care if the Bible was biased or not. It is only because most people innately know that gender bias is wrong that they fight so adamantly against the Bible being biased.

It's not called bias when there is a clear physiological difference between the genders. Just like you wouldn't say god is biased against men because they can't get pregnant.
-
y@};-
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Common Agnostic and Atheist Objection to the Bible

Post by Byblos »

Butterfly wrote:There is a good reason why people like you, Byblos, and jlay are trying to justify the bias of the Bible, or say that it's not there and that is because you know bias is wrong. Otherwise, no one would care if the Bible was biased or not. It is only because most people innately know that gender bias is wrong that they fight so adamantly against the Bible being biased.
You didn't like it when B.W. presumed to know your motives but now you presume to know ours? GR, mirror and all.

Here are the facts one last time, both Jlay and I agreed there is bias in the Bible so when you say we're saying it's not there, once again you are either lying or ignorant. Where we disagreed is with your erroneous conclusions as to the type of bias supported only by your preconceived prejudices. We gave perfectly plausible explanations that, at a minimum, negated your claims.

At this juncture I see no value in keeping this thread open. The readers can judge for themselves and draw their own conclusions.

This thread is locked.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.