Do you believe prayer truly works?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Do you believe prayer truly works?

Post by MAGSolo »

Like the way it is taught in the bible, where Jesus says to ask anything in his name and it will be done. Do you believe prayer truly works this way?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Do you believe prayer truly works?

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:Like the way it is taught in the bible, where Jesus says to ask anything in his name and it will be done. Do you believe prayer truly works this way?
Nope.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

MAGSolo wrote:Like the way it is taught in the bible, where Jesus says to ask anything in his name and it will be done. Do you believe prayer truly works this way?
Based on your own description, above, you do not understand what the Bible says about prayer. So, the answer to your question is No!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

So how is it supposed to work?
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Based on your own description, above, you do not understand what the Bible says about prayer. So, the answer to your question is No!

FL
Thats not an "understanding" Its a quote from the bible. It has nothing to do with what I understand, I just wrote the exact words that are written in the bible. Im asking if prayer works the way the bible says it does.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

MAGSolo wrote:Thats not an "understanding" Its a quote from the bible.
Your understanding is incomplete.
MAGSolo wrote:So how is it supposed to work?
There is no magic formula, if that is what you are asking. God answers the prayer of believers in a way that is in accordance with His will and according to His purpose. The Holy Spirit directs believers to pray in accordance with God's will.

God doesn't hear the prayer of unbelievers, except prayers of repentence.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

where in the bible does it teach these things you have said?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The point of praying is to acknowledge that we need God, we are incomplete without God, that we can't "do this" with out God, it is an act of humility and understanding that, without God, we can't do this AND that we do NOT know and NEED guidance.
God, in His Infinite wisdom gives us what we need, not what we want.
When we need strength and pray for strength, God gives us the opportunity to be strong.
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

And where did you get this understanding of prayer?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:And where did you get this understanding of prayer?
BY the grace of the HS I have come to that understanding for myself.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Let's take the verse in question and break it down.

John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it

If I am reading this verse it should provoke me to ask a few questions. First, who is the "you" that Jesus is addressing. It is the 12 chosen disciples.
2nd, what does it mean to, "ask in my name." Is this simply saying, "I pray I'll get a raise, in Jesus name, Amen." No. There is a profound depth to Jesus is saying here.
Did it work? Let's see, Acts 9:40 But Peter put them all outside, and knelt down and prayed; and turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up.
Yes. Notice, it doesn't say what he prayed. And it was after he prayed that he then spoke with authority and it was done.

Paul addresses prayer for the believer today, when he addresses the church of Philippi and Ephesus. Ephesians 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

If you pluck verses out of their context and try to build a doctrine of prayer you will be either disapointed or reject the notion of prayer. So, what do you think Mag. Do you think you have rightly divided the word of truth.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

So in other words, we are to pray just to be closer to God?
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Mag,

Does God need prayer or do we? I certainly need peace and desire peace in my life, and Paul says that we can access this peace.
I need strenght in my inner man. I need to discern the will of God in my own life.
I would read all the prayers that Paul prayed and you can discern better for yourself, the purposes of prayer for this time.
Here is a great resource http://www.scripturezealot.com/2009/08/ ... s-prayers/

Now, obviously you will have different opinions. Some Christians believe if Jesus told anyone to do it, that they are do it as well. I think this is incorrect and not supported when following common sense exegetical methods.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

So God does not answer personal request prayers like heal my sick child, watch over my family and keep them safe from harm, help me find a mate because I am lonely and depressed, and etc?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:So God does not answer personal request prayers like heal my sick child, watch over my family and keep them safe from harm, help me find a mate because I am lonely and depressed, and etc?
If God is GOD then life as we know it is simply a transitory form of existence and "death" as we know it is not the end and as such, God would "react" to prayers about death and illness in a very different why than we would.
That said, if God knew there was a greater purpose to a life or God had some divine reason for saving someone, God will.
God won't give us anymore than we need nor will God ever do "our job" for Us ( unless, again, there is some divine reason for intervention at the time).
If you are lonely and depressed God will give you what you need for YOU to stop being as that way BUT it is up to YOU to "take" what is given.
It may be harsh to accept that death and suffering are part of THIS life and as a parent and whenever my lids are sick ( or even my wife or parents or siblings) I wish I could heal them or take upon me their illness and pain, of course that is pure EGO on my part because I want to do for them what I know only God can and it is ego because I think they deserve special attention because they are MY familiy.
At the root of most of our prayers is an intense selfishness and ego, many time masquerading as anything BUT that.