Biology of life and 3D spatial positioning

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Biology of life and 3D spatial positioning

Post by Proinsias »

KBCid wrote:Matter can certainly be moved by random forces in the environment and not be spatially controlled.
Proinsias wrote:Could you give an example?
KBCid wrote:I am sure that anyone could including you.
Could you give an example?
KBCid wrote:So you agree that most of the writers recognise that 3d spatial control is happening in a systematic fashion but you assert that me stating that "Systematic control of matter in space and time does not answer their questions".
Your theory can reduce any question in science to a question of non-random happenings in spacetime. It doesn't answer any of the questions in papers you cited.
KBCid wrote:Sytematic is the essence of nonrandom, in fact I could virtually interchange the two in any sentence that either could be in. So with that all said... What problem do you have with my assertion that there is a 3 dimensional spatiotemporal control system functioning within all living things?
I just don't see what it adds. I don't see what questions it answers. Evolution traces all life back through the genetic code to a most recent common ancestor, we can measure genetic similarities and see that all life shares a common feature, dna or at a push rna, we can compare, contrast & project over time. Your theory appears to unite all living systems for the second time by postulating that something else happened just before evolutionary theory comes into play which occurred in spacetime and was non-random.
KBCid wrote:A 3 dimensional spatiotemporal control system is asserted by me to explain 'how' the matter used to form a cell is able to be arranged, repetitiously in a temporally definable manner.
And I assert a 3 dimensional spatiotemporal control system to explain 'how' matter in general is to be arranged repetitiously in a temporally definable manner - atoms, suns, planets, people, electrons, online forums or superclusters.
KBCid wrote:So what you want from me is the blueprint of the machine in the finest detail before you will entertain my theory as explanitory right?
A rough sketch as to how any of the questions in the papers may be solved would be nice. Once they've detected non-random movement they should.....
KBCid wrote:Now listen carefully here is part of the explanation.
Such a system that can exhibit the functionality observed in life 'requires' the ability / functionality of being able to control the movement of matter in a precision manner that can only be explained physically by being able to apply force to matter on all three planes of existence at once.
Could you give an example of matter which does not exert force on all three planes of existence at once?
KBCid wrote:So I have provided a direct physics based partial explanation of the system necessary for life to reproduce and you can begin with that explanation if you wish to attempt to refute and then we can move on to further physics based explanation when I am sure you grasp
this initial point.
Perhaps we should push on to the full explanation.
KBCid
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

KBCid wrote:Matter can certainly be moved by random forces in the environment and not be spatially controlled.
Yes I could. However, if you can't comprehend what it means to be spatially controlled then how can you understand what it means to not be controlled?
KBCid wrote:So you agree that most of the writers recognise that 3d spatial control is happening in a systematic fashion but you assert that me stating that "Systematic control of matter in space and time does not answer their questions".
Proinsias wrote:Your theory can reduce any question in science to a question of non-random happenings in spacetime. It doesn't answer any of the questions in papers you cited.
No it cannot. There is random and there is controlled. Understanding the difference is what you need to comprehend.
Random movement cannot replicate 3D mechanical structures. Precision 3D spatiotemporal control can replicate mechanical structures.
KBCid wrote:Sytematic is the essence of nonrandom, in fact I could virtually interchange the two in any sentence that either could be in. So with that all said... What problem do you have with my assertion that there is a 3 dimensional spatiotemporal control system functioning within all living things?
Proinsias wrote:I just don't see what it adds. I don't see what questions it answers.
Indeed there are who people who don't understand art just as there are people who don't comprehend mechanics. You may be one of those who just doesn't have the ability to comprehend mechanistic implications.
Proinsias wrote:Evolution traces all life back through the genetic code to a most recent common ancestor,
No it doesn't. It is 'believed' to do this but belief and evidence are two very different things.
Proinsias wrote:we can measure genetic similarities and see that all life shares a common feature, dna or at a push rna, we can compare, contrast & project over time.
Software coding shares many common foundational points as well and yet the applications based on it are independantly designed and some independant applications share common faults because of the foundation. Being able to show empirical evidence that a comparison, contrast or projection is valid over time is not yet occuring nor would it rule out design even if true because they have not yet defined exactly how change occurs nor is it defined how code becomes 3 dimensional form.
Proinsias wrote:Your theory appears to unite all living systems for the second time by postulating that something else happened just before evolutionary theory comes into play which occurred in spacetime and was non-random.
Unfortunately evolutionary theory has not actually united anything in the first place. It asserts to do this but it is untestable in real time. My theory can be shown in real time that 3 dimensional control of matter is a necessity in order to replicate 3 dimensional mechanical strutures.
KBCid wrote:A 3 dimensional spatiotemporal control system is asserted by me to explain 'how' the matter used to form a cell is able to be arranged, repetitiously in a temporally definable manner.
Proinsias wrote:And I assert a 3 dimensional spatiotemporal control system to explain 'how' matter in general is to be arranged repetitiously in a temporally definable manner - atoms, suns, planets, people, electrons, online forums or superclusters.
You can certainly assert that such structures as planets, people or superclusters would require that control if you find that they are repeating in a definable temporal manner and the matter used does not have an inherent cause for the structuring.
If we were to look out into space and see that the planet mars and all the other planets in our milkyway looked nearly identical and we sent probes that confirmed that the structures on the surface of each planet were also nearly identical then we have rationale to infer such a control exists. Beyond finding such evidences you don't have a rationale to properly assert spatiotemporal control here.
KBCid wrote:So what you want from me is the blueprint of the machine in the finest detail before you will entertain my theory as explanitory right?
Proinsias wrote:A rough sketch as to how any of the questions in the papers may be solved would be nice. Once they've detected non-random movement they should.....
Once non-random movement was detected they did assert an answer. Spatiotemporal control, because this is the only answer that is logically and ratioanally conceivable based on the known laws of physics. My rough sketch as I have already been pointing out over and over is that a 3 dimensional positioning system requires the ability to code coordinates on 3 separate spatial planes and this must occur in conjunction with the dimension of time. So position in space linked with time is necessary to explain the observations. The specifications for how these required functions are implemented is the only thing still awaiting an answer.
On the other hand why is such a requirement of information not asked of evolutionary theory prior to acceptance of its beliefs? It provides no rationale as to how theoretically 3 dimensional structures occur at all. "change happens and the strongest survive. Oh boy.
Such a system that can exhibit the functionality observed in life 'requires' the ability / functionality of being able to control the movement of matter in a precision manner that can only be explained physically by being able to apply force to matter on all three planes of existence at once.
Proinsias wrote:Could you give an example of matter which does not exert force on all three planes of existence at once?
As I have described the physics of the requirement of exertion of force in 3 planes on substrates used to make a formation, no individual component of matter exhibits this ability, none. Nor could a single bit of matter exert a force in 3 dimensions as described since such an action requires 3 separate positional points in space to accomplish such an action. Physics... Thus, anytime you observe precision replicated movement in space you should know that it is occuring by systematic control.
KBCid wrote:So I have provided a direct physics based partial explanation of the system necessary for life to reproduce and you can begin with that explanation if you wish to attempt to refute and then we can move on to further physics based explanation when I am sure you grasp this initial point.
Proinsias wrote:Perhaps we should push on to the full explanation.
Perhaps we can when you have shown that you grasp the initial point first. Learning is a step by step process otherwise college wouldn't take 4 years or more. When you try to learn something new you study it and then your understanding is tested to ensure that you have indeed comprehended what was taught. So far you have not provided the evidence that you have the comprehension of the first point.

Explain why precision repetition of structured matter requires systematic spatiotemporal control. It is a simple answer of 5 words.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Yes I could. However, if you can't comprehend what it means to be spatially controlled then how can you understand what it means to not be controlled?
Proinsias wrote:Your theory can reduce any question in science to a question of non-random happenings in spacetime. It doesn't answer any of the questions in papers you cited.
No it cannot. There is random and there is controlled. Understanding the difference is what you need to comprehend.
Random movement cannot replicate 3D mechanical structures. Precision 3D spatiotemporal control can replicate mechanical structures.
Proinsias wrote:I just don't see what it adds. I don't see what questions it answers.
Indeed there are people who don't understand art just as there are people who don't comprehend mechanics. You may be one of those who just doesn't have the ability to comprehend mechanistic implications.
Proinsias wrote:Evolution traces all life back through the genetic code to a most recent common ancestor,
No it doesn't. It is 'believed' to do this but belief and evidence are two very different things.
Proinsias wrote:we can measure genetic similarities and see that all life shares a common feature, dna or at a push rna, we can compare, contrast & project over time.
Software coding shares many common foundational points as well and yet the applications based on it are independantly designed and some independant applications share common faults because of the foundation. Being able to show empirical evidence that a comparison, contrast or projection is valid over time is not yet occuring nor would it rule out design even if true because they have not yet defined exactly how change occurs nor is it defined how code becomes 3 dimensional form.
Proinsias wrote:Your theory appears to unite all living systems for the second time by postulating that something else happened just before evolutionary theory comes into play which occurred in spacetime and was non-random.
Unfortunately evolutionary theory has not actually united anything in the first place. It asserts to do this but it is untestable in real time. My theory can be shown in real time that 3 dimensional control of matter is a necessity in order to replicate 3 dimensional mechanical strutures.
Proinsias wrote:And I assert a 3 dimensional spatiotemporal control system to explain 'how' matter in general is to be arranged repetitiously in a temporally definable manner - atoms, suns, planets, people, electrons, online forums or superclusters.
You can certainly assert that such structures as planets, people or superclusters would require that control if you find that they are repeating in a definable temporal manner and the matter used does not have an inherent cause for the structuring.
If we were to look out into space and see that the planet mars and all the other planets in our milkyway looked nearly identical and we sent probes that confirmed that the structures on the surface of each planet were also nearly identical then we have rationale to infer such a control exists. Beyond finding such evidences you don't have a rationale to properly assert spatiotemporal control here.
Proinsias wrote:A rough sketch as to how any of the questions in the papers may be solved would be nice. Once they've detected non-random movement they should.....
Once non-random movement was detected they did assert an answer. Spatiotemporal control, because this is the only answer that is logically and ratioanally conceivable based on the known laws of physics. My rough sketch as I have already been pointing out over and over is that a 3 dimensional positioning system requires the ability to code coordinates on 3 separate spatial planes and this must occur in conjunction with the dimension of time. So position in space linked with time is necessary to explain the observations. The specifications for how these required functions are implemented is the only thing still awaiting an answer.
On the other hand why is such a requirement of information not asked of evolutionary theory prior to acceptance of its beliefs? It provides no rationale as to how theoretically 3 dimensional structures occur at all. "change happens and the strongest survive. Oh boy.
Proinsias wrote:Could you give an example of matter which does not exert force on all three planes of existence at once?
As I have described the physics of the requirement of exertion of force in 3 planes on substrates used to make a formation, no individual component of matter exhibits this ability, none. Nor could a single bit of matter exert a force in 3 dimensions as described since such an action requires 3 separate positional points in space to accomplish such an action. Physics... Thus, anytime you observe precision replicated movement in space you should know that it is occuring by systematic control.
KBCid wrote:So I have provided a direct physics based partial explanation of the system necessary for life to reproduce and you can begin with that explanation if you wish to attempt to refute and then we can move on to further physics based explanation when I am sure you grasp this initial point.
Proinsias wrote:Perhaps we should push on to the full explanation.
Perhaps we can when you have shown that you grasp the initial point first. Learning is a step by step process otherwise college wouldn't take 4 years or more. When you try to learn something new you study it and then your understanding is tested to ensure that you have indeed comprehended what was taught. So far you have not provided the evidence that you have the comprehension of the first point.

Explain why precision repetition of structured matter requires systematic spatiotemporal control. It is a simple answer of 5 words.[/quote]
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

KBCid wrote: Yes I could. However, if you can't comprehend what it means to be spatially controlled then how can you understand what it means to not be controlled?
I was hoping an example may elucidate the distinction you see between random & controlled, allowing me to gain a better idea of where you are coming from.

As I see it we now have three factors:

1.Matter moving with inherent control or cause, like crystals, planetary systems, atoms......
2.Matter moving with control which is not inherent, life and its consequences like factories, houses, bird nests....
3.Matter being moved by random forces, like.........

The gist of the thread seems to be that point 2 is where one must infer an intelligent designer. The distinctions to me seem rather arbitrary. It sounds a little like Donald Rumsfeld's known knowns, known unknowns & unknown unknowns. Items in category 1 you can dismiss as they are explainable, how planets or crystals form. Items in category 2 are also operating on the same rules as category 1 items but can carry an additional set of unknowns which may one day have a great light shone on them when the engineers collaborate with the biologists. 3 you'll need to define.
KBCid wrote:If we were to look out into space and see that the planet mars and all the other planets in our milkyway looked nearly identical and we sent probes that confirmed that the structures on the surface of each planet were also nearly identical then we have rationale to infer such a control exists. Beyond finding such evidences you don't have a rationale to properly assert spatiotemporal control here.
Nearly identical? I thought the was the point of language and concepts like planets, animals etc. If you want to find planets which more closely match each other you need a better description. If I look around my garden I must conclude that due to the cats, trees, birds & flowers all looking rather different you have no rationale to infer such a control exists in life.
KBCid wrote:The specifications for how these required functions are implemented is the only thing still awaiting an answer.
Indeed. You have inferred an unspecified control system. Without any specifications it's little more than an engineer's interpretation of Bergson's élan vital.
KBCid wrote:On the other hand why is such a requirement of information not asked of evolutionary theory prior to acceptance of its beliefs? It provides no rationale as to how theoretically 3 dimensional structures occur at all.
Evolution tends to focus on biology from a hypothetical most recent common ancestor of all life to where we are today. I don't think it bothers many people that it has no sound rationale as to how theoretical three dimensional structures occur at all, that's what physics & metaphysics are for.
KBCid wrote:As I have described the physics of the requirement of exertion of force in 3 planes on substrates used to make a formation, no individual component of matter exhibits this ability, none. Nor could a single bit of matter exert a force in 3 dimensions as described since such an action requires 3 separate positional points in space to accomplish such an action. Physics... Thus, anytime you observe precision replicated movement in space you should know that it is occuring by systematic control.
Matter moves, that's what it does. When we look at it we see patterns. The essence of the above appears to be that anytime we come across anything familiar at all in the physical world we should infer an intelligent designer behind it.
KBCid wrote:Explain why precision repetition of structured matter requires systematic spatiotemporal control. It is a simple answer of 5 words.
I think you said it best earlier:
KBCid wrote:Once non-random movement was detected they did assert an answer. Spatiotemporal control, because this is the only answer that is logically and ratioanally conceivable based on the known laws of physics.
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

KBCid wrote:if you can't comprehend what it means to be spatially controlled then how can you understand what it means to not be controlled?
Proinsias wrote: I was hoping an example may elucidate the distinction you see between random & controlled, allowing me to gain a better idea of where you are coming from.
Lets revisit the analogy of the cubes of sand on the beach which were already used for this purpose. As you walk along a beach you begin to see nearly perfect 1 foot cubes of sand that are at definable distances from one another. The bits of sand that are used to form the cubes don't 'necessarily have to be arranged in that shape hence the reason why artists use wet sand as a medium to carve a nearly endless variety of shapes such as sand castles etc. There is no inherent control within a bit of sand itself that causes it to arrange itself in a specific manner relative to another bit of sand. Thus, sand is entirely subject to where an outside force moves it in 3 dimensional space.
At the other end of the inherent control topic would be something along the lines of magnets which was also already used to define the subject of inherent control vs. outside control. 1" long by 1/4" square magnets will control their own positions as they come near each other as most anyone knows who has played with them. They have so much inherent control that you can be harmed by being in the wrong place as one approaches another.
Magnets are analogous to matter involved in crystaline structuring and sand would be analogous to matter used to form most of the designed products we use every day. Since I have already provided both of these analogies previous in the thread I don't see how restating them will provide a comprehension benefit for you at this point unless you didn't read the thread.
Proinsias wrote: As I see it we now have three factors: 1.Matter moving with inherent control or cause, like crystals, planetary systems, atoms......
Crystals don't share an analogy with planatary systems but they do share analogy with atomic positioning since crystalline structuring is based on atomic structuring.
Proinsias wrote:2.Matter moving with control which is not inherent, life and its consequences like factories, houses, bird nests....
All of these are correct.
Proinsias wrote:3.Matter being moved by random forces, like...
sand on a beach.
Proinsias wrote:The gist of the thread seems to be that point 2 is where one must infer an intelligent designer. The distinctions to me seem rather arbitrary.
The distinction is in how material formations can replicate that have no inherent control causing it to occur. How arbitrary is it to infer design when you observe 1 foot cubes of sand occuring in a repetitive manner? By what criteria do you assert that it may be natural in contrast to designed? By your rationale the fact that there are mllions of number 2 pencils does not invoke any design consideration based on mechanistic structure at all. They can just naturally occur that way without design.
Proinsias wrote:It sounds a little like Donald Rumsfeld's known knowns, known unknowns & unknown unknowns. Items in category 1 you can dismiss as they are explainable, how planets or crystals form. Items in category 2 are also operating on the same rules as category 1 items but can carry an additional set of unknowns which may one day have a great light shone on them when the engineers collaborate with the biologists. 3 you'll need to define.
obviously you are not paying attention. Items in 2 are not operating on the same rules as 1 which is defined by 1 having an inherent cause for structuring and 2 not having that inherent control. 3 has been defined a number of times but you refuse to aknowlege that it has already been covered. Both 2 and 3 have no inherent positional control and the only difference between the two is that one keeps repeating specifiable structure. There are no unknowns to be discovered. you have only one choice in defining why a structure repeats that is not inherently controlled... it is controlled from outside itself systematically.
KBCid wrote:If we were to look out into space and see that the planet mars and all the other planets in our milkyway looked nearly identical and we sent probes that confirmed that the structures on the surface of each planet were also nearly identical then we have rationale to infer such a control exists. Beyond finding such evidences you don't have a rationale to properly assert spatiotemporal control here.
Proinsias wrote:Nearly identical? I thought the was the point of language and concepts like planets, animals etc. If you want to find planets which more closely match each other you need a better description. If I look around my garden I must conclude that due to the cats, trees, birds & flowers all looking rather different you have no rationale to infer such a control exists in life.
I said nothing about what I want to find. I said everything about what you are observing and rationalizing how its possible. Intelligence designs a plethora of material objects that have no inherent positional control, repetitiously. Define how that is possible? The fact that there are a multitude of different designs is a testament to the fact that intelligence does not act like a crystal. It is free to create any structuring allowed within the limits of physics.
When we see multitudes of cats there must be a cause capable of reproducing that form since the matter used to form them has no reason to naturally form that shape. Sand on a beach has no reason to form itself into 1 foot cubes over and over. At the very bottom of rational thought you would have to be able to define how such an occurance of repetition can possibly happen. You don't seem to want to address the point being made about repetition, for you this has no bearing worth consideration but, this is exactly where rational thought must make consideration because chance does not make consistent repetition and if it's not chance then you must consider what cause is capable of explaining the observation. Sytematic control. The same foundational control that intelligence applies in nearly every automated process ever designed. You apply force to make matter move in space and time into arrangements that it does not naturally form on its own.
KBCid wrote:The specifications for how these required functions are implemented is the only thing still awaiting an answer.
Proinsias wrote:Indeed. You have inferred an unspecified control system. Without any specifications it's little more than an engineer's interpretation of Bergson's élan vital.
No it is not undefined. To be undefined you would have to be able to assert that any cause could possibly be the control and as is quite clear here chance is not an option nor is there any other option available. The one and only specifiable cause possible is systematic control, which defines the type of control in operation.
As any engineer can confirm systematic control does not occur by chance. Randomness occurs by chance. To explain repetitious behavior one must infer the most logical cause and that is systematic control. Thus, systematic control is exactly how one defines the cause for the observable evidence. Any questions about 'how' the cause is implemented are secondary considerations to how the observable evidence is explained to be possible.
KBCid wrote:On the other hand why is such a requirement of information not asked of evolutionary theory prior to acceptance of its beliefs? It provides no rationale as to how theoretically 3 dimensional structures occur at all.
Proinsias wrote:Evolution tends to focus on biology from a hypothetical most recent common ancestor of all life to where we are today. I don't think it bothers many people that it has no sound rationale as to how theoretical three dimensional structures occur at all, that's what physics & metaphysics are for.
You are avoiding the question. no attempt is offered to explain how life can be formed 3 dimensionally from a code and yet you see no problem holding a belief in the little explanation it offers. However, when the subject is broached as I have done here and pointed to a necessity for intelligence to form such an irreducible system then all of a sudden it requires that every specific of its implementation must be defined or it has no explanitory power.
KBCid wrote:As I have described the physics of the requirement of exertion of force in 3 planes on substrates used to make a formation, no individual component of matter exhibits this ability, none. Nor could a single bit of matter exert a force in 3 dimensions as described since such an action requires 3 separate positional points in space to accomplish such an action. Physics...
Thus, anytime you observe precision replicated movement in space you should know that it is occuring by systematic control.
Proinsias wrote:Matter moves, that's what it does.
No it doesn't. matter can only move in space and time by definable causes. Had you read the reference to the laws of motion that would be clear;

Newton's laws of motion
Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that form the basis for classical mechanics. They describe the relationship between the forces acting on a body and its motion due to those forces. They have been expressed in several different ways over nearly three centuries,[1] and can be summarized as follows:

1.First law: If an object experiences no net force, then its velocity is constant: the object is either at rest (if its velocity is zero), or it moves in a straight line with constant speed (if its velocity is nonzero).[2][3][4]

2.Second law: The acceleration a of a body is parallel and directly proportional to the net force F acting on the body, is in the direction of the net force, and is inversely proportional to the mass m of the body, i.e., F = ma.

3.Third law: When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force F2 = −F1 on the first body. This means that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion
Proinsias wrote:When we look at it we see patterns. The essence of the above appears to be that anytime we come across anything familiar at all in the physical world we should infer an intelligent designer behind it.
When you observe matter you may indeed see a pattern and every pattern has definable causes, an inherent cause between two instances of matter or a force from outside an instance of matter that affects it. That is all you have to define a cause for how a pattern can occur.
Snowflakes have an identified inherent cause, 1 foot cubes of sand don't. So how would you explain the repetition of 1 foot cubes of sand?
KBCid wrote:Explain why precision repetition of structured matter requires systematic spatiotemporal control. It is a simple answer of 5 words.

Proinsias wrote:I think you said it best earlier:
KBCid wrote:Once non-random movement was detected they did assert an answer. Spatiotemporal control, because this is the only answer that is logically and ratioanally conceivable based on the known laws of physics.
that answer to this question is a generalization of 'my' understanding since I know the laws of physics and have proven my ability to apply them properly I can begin with a generalization and upon any futher questioning I can be specific about the laws and their application,

the question being asked is "do you comprehend them and do you understand how they can be applied".
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

KBCid wrote:No it doesn't.
I think that's it in a nutshell.

Edit:
I have just noticed I am an anti member with 666 posts :evil:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I have just noticed I am an anti member with 666 posts
Congrats, Francis. :twisted:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

KBCid wrote:No it doesn't.
Proinsias wrote:I think that's it in a nutshell.
No that single part of my response is not "it in a nutshell" unless that is all you want to hear from my response. The first 'law' of motion has and will continue to state;

1.First law: If an object experiences no net force, then its velocity is constant: the object is either at rest (if its velocity is zero), or it moves in a straight line with constant speed (if its velocity is nonzero).

Unless matter has experienced a net force at some point in its existence then it is at rest. It 'matter' cannot produce motion for itself / by itself.

That would be 'it in a nutshell' as it is intended.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KBCid wrote:
Proinsias wrote:It sounds a little like Donald Rumsfeld's known knowns, known unknowns & unknown unknowns. Items in category 1 you can dismiss as they are explainable, how planets or crystals form. Items in category 2 are also operating on the same rules as category 1 items but can carry an additional set of unknowns which may one day have a great light shone on them when the engineers collaborate with the biologists. 3 you'll need to define.
obviously you are not paying attention. Items in 2 are not operating on the same rules as 1 which is defined by 1 having an inherent cause for structuring and 2 not having that inherent control. 3 has been defined a number of times but you refuse to aknowlege that it has already been covered. Both 2 and 3 have no inherent positional control and the only difference between the two is that one keeps repeating specifiable structure. There are no unknowns to be discovered. you have only one choice in defining why a structure repeats that is not inherently controlled... it is controlled from outside itself systematically.
Proin, you need to focus on what KBC's focal point is, which is repetition. Taking his 1 cubic foot sand shapes analogy a step further, even if you assert that by some odds-defying miracle (ha ha) those shapes were made by a random burst of wind, when you disperse the sand and come back the next day and they are there again, you start wondering if someone made them. After N days of repetition it's no longer an 'if', it's a 'who'.

Repetition is key.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Byblos wrote: Taking his 1 cubic foot sand shapes analogy a step further, even if you assert that by some odds-defying miracle (ha ha) those shapes were made by a random burst of wind, when you disperse the sand and come back the next day and they are there again, you start wondering if someone made them. After N days of repetition it's no longer an 'if', it's a 'who'. Repetition is key.
<3

Thx Byblos for renewing my faith in intelligent comprehension.

Jer 33:22 As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured...

Here is another repeating observation that begs an explanation... planets that orbit stars. What natural cause makes planets form fairly stable orbits? or a moon that has a nearly circular orbit around a planet? As we peer into the vastness of space this is another repeating observation.

...the remaining planetary companions around other stars baffle us. The two planets with oval orbits have eccentricities of 0.68 and 0.40. (An eccentricity of zero is a perfect circle, whereas an eccentricity of 1.0 is a long, slender oval.) In contrast, in our solar system the greatest eccentricities appear in the orbits of Mercury and Pluto, both about 0.2; all other planets show nearly circular orbits (eccentricities less than 0.1). These eccentric orbits have prodded astronomers to scratch their heads and revise their theories.
http://astro.berkeley.edu/~gmarcy/sciam.html
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

No that single part of my response is not "it in a nutshell" unless that is all you want to hear from my response. The first 'law' of motion has and will continue to state;

1.First law: If an object experiences no net force, then its velocity is constant: the object is either at rest (if its velocity is zero), or it moves in a straight line with constant speed (if its velocity is nonzero).

Unless matter has experienced a net force at some point in its existence then it is at rest. It 'matter' cannot produce motion for itself / by itself.

Sound like Aquinas' first mover. Wow!
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

KCBid wrote:No that single part of my response is not "it in a nutshell" unless that is all you want to hear from my response. The first 'law' of motion has and will continue to state;

It is my understanding that matter moves. We have theoretical points like absolute zero or singularities but in all practical experience matter moves. That matter moves does not for me necessitate the need to postulate a prime mover. Wether one does or does not postulate a prime mover has little impact on solving the dynamics of protein folding or the other issues raised. Whilst Newton's first law is rather elegant Einstein came along a little later and left things looking less clear cut.
Byblos wrote:Proin, you need to focus on what KBC's focal point is, which is repetition. Taking his 1 cubic foot sand shapes analogy a step further, even if you assert that by some odds-defying miracle (ha ha) those shapes were made by a random burst of wind, when you disperse the sand and come back the next day and they are there again, you start wondering if someone made them. After N days of repetition it's no longer an 'if', it's a 'who'.

Repetition is key.
After N days it's still an unknown. One would likely infer Euclidian sand shapes in imperial measurements on a beach would be the handiwork of a human(s) but without some proof you got nothing. If a study was done which could detect no human involvement after N days, opinions would likely be split between natural explanations & intelligent design of one form or another. Until someone identifies an intelligent designer or demonstrates the mechanics of a proposed natural mechanism it's all speculation leaving one free to attribute mysterious sand formations to miracles, aliens, the wind or KBCid being sneaky. Much like we can attribute life to a miracle, aliens or forces of nature after N days of thinking about it.

If repetition is key then sand so numerous it can't be measured is surely more than enough proof.
KBCid wrote:Here is another repeating observation that begs an explanation... planets that orbit stars. What natural cause makes planets form fairly stable orbits? or a moon that has a nearly circular orbit around a planet? As we peer into the vastness of space this is another repeating observation.
...the remaining planetary companions around other stars baffle us. The two planets with oval orbits have eccentricities of 0.68 and 0.40. (An eccentricity of zero is a perfect circle, whereas an eccentricity of 1.0 is a long, slender oval.) In contrast, in our solar system the greatest eccentricities appear in the orbits of Mercury and Pluto, both about 0.2; all other planets show nearly circular orbits (eccentricities less than 0.1). These eccentric orbits have prodded astronomers to scratch their heads and revise their theories.
http://astro.berkeley.edu/~gmarcy/sciam.html
Baffled & scratching their heads. It seems that regardless if it's biology or physics, as long as there's questions to be asked you will be there to answer them with unspecified 3D spatio-temporal control systems.
Is it really that surprising the first few planets we detect in a galaxy far far away are behaving a little differently to the 8 or so spinning around our sun?
I can't help but think that if we find numerous solar systems bearing a striking resemblance to our own this would be a triumph of observational repetition of spacial control. If novel forms of life started crawling out of mud and evolving before our very eyes I really don't think it would hurt your theory, the fine tuning required would be of divine proportions!
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Proinsias wrote:It is my understanding that matter moves. We have theoretical points like absolute zero or singularities but in all practical experience matter moves.
Understanding that matter moves isn't the point being discussed in this thread. How it moves precisely and repeatedly is and you are consistently avoiding this part of the discussion. How specific types of matter are 'PRECISELY' and 'REPETETIVELY' moved in both time and space is what this thread is all about.

repeat
To do, experience, or produce again
An act of repeating
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/repeat

precise
Exact, as in performance, execution, or amount; accurate or correct
using or operating with total accuracy
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/precise

So as has been clarified in every possible manner in this thread, matter is being PRECISELY and REPETETIVELY moved in both time and space. The matter in question has no inherent reason for moving in this manner. There is absolutely no physical reason for it to move itself in this manner so the only logical causal reason to explain the observable evidence is that it is being systematically controlled in both time and space.

The only known cause that has been observed to produce this effect has been intelligence by the formation of control systems which are irreducibly complex in arrangement (since the effect itself is highly complex). There is no known or observed natural cause for the formation of such a system and there are designed systems being formed daily by intelligent design. In every occurance of such systems we 'intelligent designers' have found that they require an irreducible number of components to begin to produce the effect of precise & repetetive movement of matter that has no inherent cause for such movement.
So if you wish to discuss how precision repetetive movement can possibly occur then this is the thread for discussing precision repeating movement of matter in time and space. If you wish to discuss how matter itself began to move then i'm sure there are philosophical discussions somewhere out there that are playing with that concept.
In our reality 'the here and now' we have laws of physics that precisely describe how matter moves in our observable experience. We know that the material that your car is made of doesn't form itself into that 3 dimensional shape on its own or by chance natural causes. There are defined systems that were designed to replicate, precisely every part in every car and there is no simpler possible method because there is no other law of physics that can allow for such movement of matter in time and space. Thus, when we see the effect of precision repeating movement of matter in time and space 'we' know that it can only be caused by a control system that posesses the minimal irreducible interactions that have already been defined by physics and engineering.
Byblos wrote:Proin, you need to focus on what KBC's focal point is, which is repetition. Taking his 1 cubic foot sand shapes analogy a step further, even if you assert that by some odds-defying miracle (ha ha) those shapes were made by a random burst of wind, when you disperse the sand and come back the next day and they are there again, you start wondering if someone made them. After N days of repetition it's no longer an 'if', it's a 'who'. Repetition is key.
Proinsias wrote:After N days it's still an unknown.
It may be unknown to you because you don't have a firm grasp of physics but it is not unknown to a physics / engineering world. We can entirely assert that there is a control system operating to allow for the observable evidence and there is no necessity to know who a designer may be directly or indirectly. Since designers make automated systems which nullifies the need for physical intervention then ultimately the maximum that either discipline could assert is that a control system is operating that has mechanical precision whether it be a living machine like us or a non-living machine like the ones we form.
At no point is there a need to infer a miracle because we know that such observable evidence can be caused by very real mechanisms with definable applications of physics. The question of what set it in motion (arranged it) however, is one that may have some debatability. Anyone such as yourself could assert that such a complex irreducible systematic control could arise by chance and this is where we can delve into the specifics of what is minimally necessary to allow such a system to begin functioning.
That would be a very funny debate to participate in i'm sure.

So to recap... this thread deals with "precision replication" of material formations in time and space. The theory to explain it is a spatiotemporal control system. The foundation of the theory is based on the 'known' laws of physics and the empirical application of those laws in our reality. If you feel that these laws of physics and their empirical applications are insufficient foundations to explain the observable evidence then you are welcome to define what does explain it.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KBCid wrote:So to recap... this thread deals with "precision replication" of material formations in time and space. The theory to explain it is a spatiotemporal control system. The foundation of the theory is based on the 'known' laws of physics and the empirical application of those laws in our reality. If you feel that these laws of physics and their empirical applications are insufficient foundations to explain the observable evidence then you are welcome to define what does explain it.
Or at a minimum explain how different this theory is from the one that postulates a single common ancestor to all living things.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

KBCid wrote:So as has been clarified in every possible manner in this thread, matter is being PRECISELY and REPETETIVELY moved in both time and space. The matter in question has no inherent reason for moving in this manner. There is absolutely no physical reason for it to move itself in this manner so the only logical causal reason to explain the observable evidence is that it is being systematically controlled in both time and space.
This is where you drift from science to speculation. To state that there is absolutely no physical reason for matter to move in the ways you perceive it moving is pure speculation, it's not science, it's metaphysics.

I can choose to agree with your leap of logic that biology is sufficiently complicated & repeating in time to such a degree of precision that intelligence is the only reasonable answer for it's origin and persistence through time, or I can reject it. Either way I'm no closer to understanding how proteins fold, embryos develop or why the orbits of some planets can be described as being closer to circles than others.
KBCid wrote:So to recap... this thread deals with "precision replication" of material formations in time and space. The theory to explain it is a spatiotemporal control system. The foundation of the theory is based on the 'known' laws of physics and the empirical application of those laws in our reality. If you feel that these laws of physics and their empirical applications are insufficient foundations to explain the observable evidence then you are welcome to define what does explain it.
I would love to be able to define it, I'd be rather pleased with myself if I could explain even one of the issues that are confusing scientists in the examples you have brought up but I can't. Neither can the astronomers who are scratching their heads, or the biologists calling for more work to be done in the relevant areas. Or you.
KBCid wrote:It may be unknown to you because you don't have a firm grasp of physics but it is not unknown to a physics / engineering world.
Come on, it's not a grasp of physics and engineering that's required, it's philosophy, metaphysics & logic. I presume that Stephen Hawking declaring that life is the result of chance and random mutation is due to him not having the firm grasp of physics that you display.

The entire biological/physical argument is beside the point. You see yourself as intelligent and infer this intelligence must have come from a non-random source.
Byblos wrote:
Or at a minimum explain how different this theory is from the one that postulates a single common ancestor to all living things.
I think this theory is entirely in harmony with a single common ancestor. An intelligent designer creating a form of life on earth pre-programmed with all the 3d spacial control & information required to blossom into what we now experience as life on earth seems in keeping with the theory, or a universe finely tuned to the point that life has no option but to appear also seems in harmony with the theory. There are no specifics for it to clash with anything.