President 2012

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: President 2012

Post by Philip »

And ANOTHER thing: The Republican Party needs to look beyond it's usual slate of the elite and wealthy for it's candidates - especially at the national level. Too many people have merged their perceptions to the view that believes that every wealthy, successful person is necessarily an elitist, greedy, money-grubbing cheat, who is out-of-touch with the common working man. Republicans just can't put such a candidate forward again. They need to put forth candidates with a modest financial background, who have long rubbed elbows with and worked with people of all stripes - persons of the middle classes who identify intensely with the struggles of those with working-class backgrounds. To many independents and moderates, Romney came across as the callous, ruthless rich guy, straight from Central Casting. That ain't gonna cut it!

What scares me is that the destruction and financial/debt/spending that Obama has perpetuated over the past four years, means that people will be so angry that whomever succeeds him will find it exceptionally difficult to turn things around to the degree that will get him re-elected - no matter what good job he might do (especially concerning the circumstances).

If we could only get the brain-dead and blind to not vote, perhaps we might end up with a few good leaders. Too many only want to vote for candidates who are gifted at promising them precisely what they want to hear; they don't want to hear the unpleasant truth that requires sacrifices.

And so it would appear that we've crossed our political Rubicon!But it really all falls back to our spiritual values, doesn't it? As a society, if the majority of us truly reflected God's values within our lives, hearts, minds, actions and choices - AND as best we can in our political candidates and voting - then so much of the rest would be solvable. But an increasingly secular-minded, materialistic, evermore narcissistic society will only speed our way to ruin.

But I must always keep in mind, that if my future well being and that of those I love and care about are only subject to whoever happens to inhabit our political offices, then what good is my faith in God? And what hope could I ever truly have? The same God sits on His throne, and He loves and protects those He calls His own, does He not? In the midst of chaos, God is still GOD! He was on Monday, after Monday, and throughout eternity - HE has not changed!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Philip wrote:Too many only want to vote for candidates who are gifted at promising them precisely what they want to hear; they don't want to hear the unpleasant truth that requires sacrifices.
The above is nothing new! Just before the fall of Jerusalem and the deportation to Babylon, King Zedekiah's court prophets were saying all would be well and that God would never let Nebuchadnezzar's army destroy the Holy City. Ha! we all know how that turned out! The only prophet in Jerusalem not promoting good tidings was Jeremiah. He was thrown into prison, starved, thrown into a muddy well, threatened with death and despised but he was the only one who got it right.

I'm pretty sure that God's judgement is coming to the USA, and soon.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I'm pretty sure that God's judgement is coming to the USA, and soon.
And so should I just move to Canada - or will it be too close to the heat?

Thing is, by many, even God's wrath might be mistaken as just more fallout from George W. Bush's presidency. :lol: :shakehead: (which is not to say he didn't also contribute to what came afterward - his ill-contrived attempt at nation-building, a war on a credit card (though he didn't choose this alone - as BOTH parties are guilty), thousands dead in Iraq, creating Iraq power vacuum akin to announcing, "calling all terrorists!", new entitlement/prescription-drug mandate, reckless spending).

Really hope we got that nation-building, "we're gonna spread democracy around the world" fantasy out of our heads! Egypt's got democracy :shock: :esad: Enough said!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Philip wrote:And so should I just move to Canada - or will it be too close to the heat?
Canada is an OK choice! Our economy is doing well, the IMF says we are the best-managed country in the G8, our Prime Minister is Christian...If I were not so anti-Canadian, I could like it here!
Philip wrote:Thing is, by many, even God's wrath might be mistaken as just more fallout from George W. Bush's presidency.
Remember that the Bible says that God sets rulers in their place. George W. made a load of bizarre decisions. To wit, for a Evangelical Christian, President Bush should have known that peace in the MiddleEast is impossible yet he still promoted his Roadmap to Peace. In any event, America wouldn't have been saved by Mitt Romney as President. The rot is too deep. Years of promoting sin and calling it enlightenment will cost you greatly. :twisted:

On the bright side, The USA does produce more Christian evangelism than anyone else. This little remnant may be holding off the disaster to come...but it will come.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Shameless plug but the life of our nation is at stake...

Men like Billy Graham and Franklin are bring'n up this very need as well too. Therefore, I'll take this opportunity for a little promo for those interested in praying for our nation and leaders as 1 Timothy 2:1-3 states. So instead of belly aching and whining like I did the day after the election. During yesterdays mountain hike, I had an eureka oh I see moment -- wake up! So I began some repentance, soul searching, and seeking the Lord as to why the election was guided by God's hand for the outcome that happened coming to the same conclusion other men and women of God have had. I am only one man, maybe I can do something, maybe I can't - so I set up an Awake and Arise Days of Prayer page on Face Book seeking to awake people to pray for specific issues throughout the week of November 25... I set up the page today and here is clip from it...
From -Awake and Arise Days of Prayer - page

There you are, driving down the road. A fast car begins to tailgate you annoyingly down the highway for miles. Then the driver, cursing you, makes a sharp swerve almost clipping your rear bumper while dangerously passing speeding quickly out of your line of sight.

The Bible tells us to bless those who curse us, so how would you pray for that person?

Would you pray:

A) Oh Lord, bless that driver with long life and be successful in all his endeavors.

B) Dear Lord, please bless that driver with a speeding ticket – arrest him before he causes harm....

See this link for the end of the story
If you are interested in this - let's gather the troops. For those in other countries - you can pray too...

Amen
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

God doesn't need to cast judgment on the US or any other country/state because we are doing just a fine job of that ourselves.
We truly reap what we sow.
The Protector
Recognized Member

Post by The Protector »

Amen. Our culture has convinced itself that if we legalize sin then it no longer has consequences. Not so.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Which sins have we legalized and what were the consequences, if I might ask?
The Protector
Recognized Member

Post by The Protector »

You are right, "legalize" wasn't quite the right word. It implies that all sin should be illegal. Essentially I was speaking of the denial of sin by the entire cultural zeitgeist. Although we have seen the legal codification of state approbation of some sin, this is merely a symptom, not the disease. The root problem is that we, as a culture, have forgotten God. Even most of those among us who profess Christ as Lord too often live in a decadent, self-centered way that is no different from our unbelieving neighbors.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I guess all I would say to that is this: What cultures throughout history truly have not denied sin in some form or another? So many people today seem to want to say that our current American culture is SO much more removed from Christianity and living justly than we ever have been in the past. And to be frank, I think this is absolutely ludicrous. All societies throughout history have had their vices, they have had their strengths, and they have had truly evil things happen as well. What about the last few years has been so much more destructive than anything else in our history? Is it the teaching of evolution in our classrooms? The general acceptance that some people in our country are gay/Muslims/atheists/etc.?

When you say that our downfall is our falling away from a Christ-driven society, I call BS on statements like that. On what basis do you draw that conclusion? Because the times in our history when Christianity was most widespread in the US, we were using Christ's name to segregate black people from white people and using Christ's name to burn supposed witches at the stake.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Ivellious wrote: What about the last few years has been so much more destructive than anything else in our history?
The breakdown of the family, of marriage as a life-long institution is probably the most destructive element in US history. Millions of children with no father-figure because of the normalization of single-mother marriages is the result. Now, it is considered normal that marriage is a temporary arrangement useful only by mutual consent.

FL y:(2

+ + +

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

I,

I have to agree with you. The reason the US was 'blessed' so to speak is that some men, guided by wisdom, formed a representative republic. One that put a priority on personal liberty and created checks and balances to limit government. But it was also one that held slaves and ran rough shod over natives in some of the most despicable atrocities. I guess God just didn't care about that crap. I'm not even sure I'd say we have more personal moral issues today. We certainly have more ways to publicize and marinate the culture in moral deviance.

Today, our system is driven by greed and many of those checks have been tossed asside. Our founders never would have dreamed that abortion law would be determined by activist judges. If you look at the average American today, they are in debt up to their eyeballs, and likely have some moral failing. The government is a direct reflection on this. I am actually amazed that we don't see more problems. I can't tell you how many people I meet who make their living through dishonest gain, have a chemical dependency, or are just an all around s++t head.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I think there's one thing that will eventually lead to the end of the U. S. As we know it. DEBT!
The borrower is slave to the lender. It's going to catch up with us some time. It has to.

I kept hearing before this election that the economy is the #1 issue. We can't keep borrowing ourselves into debt as a country. It has to end. If I as a person go into debt, I can pay back my debt or go into bankruptcy. As a country, we can stop accumulating debt, and pay back what we owe. The U. S. Can't file Bankruptcy. At this rate, another country is going to own us.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I didn't want to say that we have no issues, or that they are better/worse than before. I just get so sick of people saying that "the time we live in now is having SO many more problems, and God is punishing us SO badly for them. We need to get back to the good old days when everyone was a perfect Christian and God loved us." I just think it's such an exaggeration to say that we are so much more immoral and that God never had any reasons to punish us before. It's just frustrating. I'm not denying problems in our ociety now, I'm just saying that it's short-sighted to pretend that we've always had better values than now.