Free Will

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Free Will

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Hi,

I am writing a paper at the moment that addresses free will and how it relates to BF Skinners interpretation of humanity.

It just seems so undeniable that we do in fact have mental faculties that we ourselves control and are capable of changing situations with. Skinner would have you think that the environment is responsible for all human thought processes.

However, I need some examples of free will, or a test that I can put in words for it, as I am having trouble expressing what free will accounts for.
The Neurotic Saint.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Free Will

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think you need to define free will first.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion
The Neurotic Saint.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Alpha~Omega wrote:the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion
What ??
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Alpha~Omega wrote:Hi,

I am writing a paper at the moment that addresses free will and how it relates to BF Skinners interpretation of humanity.

It just seems so undeniable that we do in fact have mental faculties that we ourselves control and are capable of changing situations with. Skinner would have you think that the environment is responsible for all human thought processes.

However, I need some examples of free will, or a test that I can put in words for it, as I am having trouble expressing what free will accounts for.
It is funny that you mention that. I was just reading Plantinga's, Where the Conflict Lies, in which he touches on this topic. Skinner would have to conceed that his deduction was not his own, but is from the environment, and thus not trustworthy. In other words, why are his conclusions free from the same constraints he says binds all other conclusions? We are able to have knowledge of ourselves and our outside world. For that to really mean anything requires theistic presuppositions. I would also agree that the term 'free will' needs to be defined since that can mean different things to different people.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

jlay wrote:
Alpha~Omega wrote:Hi,

It is funny that you mention that. I was just reading Plantinga's, Where the Conflict Lies, in which he touches on this topic. Skinner would have to conceed that his deduction was not his own, but is from the environment, and thus not trustworthy. In other words, why are his conclusions free from the same constraints he says binds all other conclusions? We are able to have knowledge of ourselves and our outside world. For that to really mean anything requires theistic presuppositions. I would also agree that the term 'free will' needs to be defined since that can mean different things to different people.
Indeed.
When one makes a claim to subjectivety one must accept that the very claim is just that.
As for free will, to me:
The freedom to be able to choose from whatever options we have available to us, as opposed to be forced to choose.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

"The freedom to be able to choose from whatever options we have available to us, as opposed to be forced to choose."

Thats good, lets go with that.

@Jlay,
I could see the circular reasoning in Skinners arguement, but I couldent quite define it, thank you very much!

I would like to put this bit out for thought:

Why do we have favorite colors, and what influences us to chose them.
The Neurotic Saint.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Alpha~Omega wrote:"The freedom to be able to choose from whatever options we have available to us, as opposed to be forced to choose."

Thats good, lets go with that.

@Jlay,
I could see the circular reasoning in Skinners arguement, but I couldent quite define it, thank you very much!

I would like to put this bit out for thought:

Why do we have favorite colors, and what influences us to chose them.
Well, that is environmental.
Whichever colours we are exposed to will be the ones we prefer based on what kind of stimuli we get when we are exposed to them as children.
Of course certain colours get our attention more, but that doesn't always translate to them being our favorites.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Can you give an example of something that isnt enviormental?

Also why do they get our attention?
The Neurotic Saint.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Alpha~Omega wrote:Can you give an example of something that isnt enviormental?

Also why do they get our attention?
Well, certain colours are more bright and vibrant and, other then for those that are colour blind, they "stick out" more.
Red will always stick out more than white, yellow more than brown, etc.
Not sure about your question... "isn't environmental?"...
Not sure what you are asking.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Give me an example of free will that isn't based on environmental things.
The Neurotic Saint.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Alpha~Omega wrote:Give me an example of free will that isn't based on environmental things.
It is raining and I refuse to use and umbrella and get wet.
The rain dictates that I use an umbrella but my free will over rides the environment and I choose NOT to do so.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Thank you, do you have any other examples maybe?
The Neurotic Saint.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Alpha~Omega wrote:Thank you, do you have any other examples maybe?
Not really sure what you are asking for...
If the environment is responsible for ALL our human thoughts then we would still be free to choose HOW it effects us and HOW we "react" to it.
A social environment may influence our decisions one way or another, but we are still free to choose WHICH way.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Skinner felt that all conclusions were inevitably from the environment. Following this line of reasoning, how would we be able to chose how it effects us if the chose we make is already determined?
The Neurotic Saint.