Science article about evangelicals and catholics

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Science article about evangelicals and catholics

Post by cubeus19 »

http://news.yahoo.com/evangelicals-beco ... 00875.html

I found this kinda odd since it was in the science section.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Science article about evangelicals and catholics

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think the "study" is probably "unclear".
I myself am a catholic in the truest sense of the word: Universalist.
I believe that ALL believers form the Catholic (Universal) Church of God, regardless of denominations.
We all believe in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, as Son of God, as our Redeemer, that He died for Us, was resurrected and shall come again.
Beyond that what we have are doctrinal differences based on biblical interpretations.
As a this type of catholic I do NOT identify myself with the RCC and the Papacy, though I still regard their tradition and lineage to be very important to the Body Of Christ.
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

PaulSacramento wrote:I think the "study" is probably "unclear".
I believe that ALL believers form the Catholic (Universal) Church of God, regardless of denominations.
We all believe in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, as Son of God, as our Redeemer, that He died for Us, was resurrected and shall come again.
Beyond that what we have are doctrinal differences based on biblical interpretations.
As a this type of catholic I do NOT identify myself with the RCC and the Papacy, though I still regard their tradition and lineage to be very important to the Body Of Christ.
Would you differentiate between a Catholic or Protestant Christian then? Or would you reply to that by saying simply "they're both Christians, just with different beliefs within the same faith?"

SB :egeek:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Sam1995 wrote:
Would you differentiate between a Catholic or Protestant Christian then? Or would you reply to that by saying simply "they're both Christians, just with different beliefs within the same faith?"

Sam, I ask you: Do you think God differentiates between a Catholic or Protestant Christian? What makes one a Christian? Belief in Christ, or belonging to a certain denomination?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Sam1995 wrote:

Absolutely not.
There is no difference In Christ, to echo Paul: No jew or gentile, no man or woman, no slave or free person...
Doctrinal differences may be what distinguishes HOW we express our faith, but we all have faith IN the same Person.
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

RickD wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:

Sam, I ask you: Do you think God differentiates between a Catholic or Protestant Christian? What makes one a Christian? Belief in Christ, or belonging to a certain denomination?
My friend, I know where I stand. A person's faith is based on them having a relationship with Jesus Christ and believing Him to be Lord! Demoninations do not satisfy as a suitable argument for determining whether or not a person is a Christian, the clue is in the word "Christian." I only asked the question originally to have a bit more of an insight into Paul's views, as other people's views are of great interest to me!

SB
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:

Absolutely not.
There is no difference In Christ, to echo Paul: No jew or gentile, no man or woman, no slave or free person...
Doctrinal differences may be what distinguishes HOW we express our faith, but we all have faith IN the same Person.
Sorry for the double post guys, thanks Paul - only asked so that I could hear your thoughts!

God bless! :)

SB
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Sam1995 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:

My friend, I know where I stand. A person's faith is based on them having a relationship with Jesus Christ and believing Him to be Lord! Demoninations do not satisfy as a suitable argument for determining whether or not a person is a Christian, the clue is in the word "Christian." I only asked the question originally to have a bit more of an insight into Paul's views, as other people's views are of great interest to me!

SB
Gotcha. Just be careful of the word "Christian". It doesn't mean the same thing to others as it does to you and me. We have ongoing dialogue with 1stjohn0666, who calls himself Christian, even though he denies the divinity of Jesus Christ.

And Sam, I know what you mean by wanting to clarify what PaulSacramento was saying. We constantly have to ask him for clarification. :poke: :pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

BURN !!!! y#-o
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

So, do you guys think there are "degrees" of being a Christian?
I know there are degrees to which one is a good or practicing Christian, I mean can one still be a CHristian even though they are not orthodox in ALL their beliefs?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:So, do you guys think there are "degrees" of being a Christian?
I know there are degrees to which one is a good or practicing Christian, I mean can one still be a CHristian even though they are not orthodox in ALL their beliefs?
Yes Paul, you are still a Christian. Despite some of your weird beliefs. :wave:

And before you ask, Yes, Canadians can be Christians even though they live in a hoose! :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

RickD wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:

SB
Gotcha. Just be careful of the word "Christian". It doesn't mean the same thing to others as it does to you and me. We have ongoing dialogue with 1stjohn0666, who calls himself Christian, even though he denies the divinity of Jesus Christ.

And Sam, I know what you mean by wanting to clarify what PaulSacramento was saying. We constantly have to ask him for clarification. :poke: :pound:
Yeah, I've been reading the discussions with that guy and am itching to get involved, just waiting for the right time which may never come ;)

LOL, poor Paul's getting slated here! y>:D<

SB :wave:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Bah, puny mortals !!

The "degree of Christian" thing came from a discussion I was having on another site.
I think most will agree there are degrees of "practicing Christians", some are bordering on sainthood while others are barely hanging on and most of us are somewhere inbetween, but are there degrees of being Christian?
I mean, is a person who believes in predestination more of a Christian or less? or what about those that are Christian but fall and then come back or never come back?
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

I think that from God's perspective, there aren't any degrees of Christianity. You're either a sinner, or you're not. Hence, you either have a relationship with Jesus and follow him, or you don't.
If a person falls away and does not come back, then I think it's an issue of the heart, whether or not at the time of death do they still believe in their hearts that Jesus Christ is Lord, if the answer is yes then they go to heaven, if the answer is no, then it gets more complicated - because I am not overly clear in my own thought whether or not that person once confessing Jesus as Lord would be enough to get them into heaven, it's a really difficult question in my opinion, and one that I trust God as a loving and just father to make the right decision with when the time comes for judgement.
Is a Christian who believes in predestination more/less of a Christian than any other? I'll take God's perspective, and unless I'm very much mistaken, that would be a no.

SB
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Sam1995 wrote:I think that from God's perspective, there aren't any degrees of Christianity. You're either a sinner, or you're not. Hence, you either have a relationship with Jesus and follow him, or you don't.
If a person falls away and does not come back, then I think it's an issue of the heart, whether or not at the time of death do they still believe in their hearts that Jesus Christ is Lord, if the answer is yes then they go to heaven, if the answer is no, then it gets more complicated - because I am not overly clear in my own thought whether or not that person once confessing Jesus as Lord would be enough to get them into heaven, it's a really difficult question in my opinion, and one that I trust God as a loving and just father to make the right decision with when the time comes for judgement.
Is a Christian who believes in predestination more/less of a Christian than any other? I'll take God's perspective, and unless I'm very much mistaken, that would be a no.

SB
We are all sinners dude, Christian and non-Christian.