Does God work in mysterious ways

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Does God work in mysterious ways

Post by MAGSolo »

Or do terrible things often happen to people for really no reason at all?

http://gma.yahoo.com/teen-parents-swept ... ories.html
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Does God work in mysterious ways

Post by GreyDeSilvisanctis »

God does work in mysterious ways.
Concerning the article you posted, everyone decides on what they do and to a higher extent, who they are.
We just have consequences to everything we do and in this case, the tragedy. (Chaos theory is a fine concept in describing after effects too if you're looking for answers in a scientific perspective. :ewink: )
God being omniscient knows what will happen and indeed it does have purposes but let's not think of it in a negative light. God's ways are higher than our own and we should take it as our job to know why; sometimes we get the answer, sometimes we don't but the bigger picture is how God works. Now don't get me wrong on "the end justifies the means", God doesn't make a misstep because it is against His nature.

~Grey :)
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I know what you mean. I have a Christian friend who lost the ECM* to his Aston Martin DB9 and had to buy another which cost a whopping $3000. I mean, like, where was God? Where was God???That $3000 could have gone to feed the poor! Or to help poor Christian kids buy flotation devices when they walk on the beach!

Man, this whole event is really testing my faith!

FL t<):)

*ECM is a key that starts the car.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Man, this whole event is really testing my faith!
*ECM is a key that starts the car.
:lol:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

I think one thing we Christians fail to realize sometimes is this -
You will still face horrible situations because you are still a product of the choices you make. Sure, if you make a wrong decision, God will make all things work together for your good [Romans 8:28]. However, this does not stop the fact that we are people, and people have free will, which can either be a very good or very dangerous part of our being.

God never promised us that life would be easy, instead He promised to give us the strength to endure the storm.

SB y:-?
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Ahem...

my first post about a friend's Aston Martin was facetious!

Anyway, I appreciate SB and Grey's answers because they are concise and correct. Unfortunately, they will be lost on MAGSolo because he is an unbeliever who seeks to criticize God. Unbelievers like him are looking for a god that exists to meet our wants: the god of fools. God - the God of the Bible - is no such god.

Criticism is easy, understanding is difficult. Are you ready to understand, MAGSolo?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

MAGsolo, in order for you to have ANY understanding of what Christian faith is about, and how God views humanity as a whole, you first need to understand the concept of sin, it is a direct contradiction to God, doing what God does not deem to be good.
If you cannot grasp the concept of sin, then you can present an onslaught on the Christian faith by asking questions such as "why do bad/evil things happen to good people?"
This concept will most definitely seem odd to the atheist/unbeliever. There are no such beings as good people.
A good person would be sinless, humanity is not sinless - exactly the reason why Jesus (who was sinless) was sacrificed in order to pay the price for the sins that we have committed.
One thing I really love about God's word is that you either take it or leave it, there is no messing around. If you don't agree with God's word, or deem it to be false, then you make the choice to reject God and Christ Jesus as lord. God will not force you to trust in Him, He only lets you know that you will be accountable for your own life and the deeds you have done when you come before His judgement, regardless of whether or not you have trusted in Him.
The little catch is, if you do trust in Him, He declares you righteous and you do not face his wrath, what a loving God we serve!

SB :eugeek:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis