The Limits of Science

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: The Limits of Science

Post by Byblos »

Sam1995 wrote:
Byblos wrote: Can science ever answer for itself?
What do you mean exactly? Because my immediate response would be that if we look at chemistry, for example, we can see how different chemicals react with each other and produce certain results, here science answers for itself without the need for any other input, but I'm not totally clear that's what you meant!
I mean it exactly how it sounds, if science can answer for everything and therefore prove there is no need for God, then how does science even begin to answer for itself?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Sam1995
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sam1995 »

Byblos wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:
What do you mean exactly? Because my immediate response would be that if we look at chemistry, for example, we can see how different chemicals react with each other and produce certain results, here science answers for itself without the need for any other input, but I'm not totally clear that's what you meant!
I mean it exactly how it sounds, if science can answer for everything and therefore prove there is no need for God, then how does science even begin to answer for itself?
If science is the explanation of phenomena, and it can explain the origins of life and the universe, then not only can it explain what the phenomena are, but also where they originated from, so in that sense science would be able to account for its own existence and answer for itself, as it defines where the phenomena which it explains comes from.

However, realistically this will never happen, I do not believe for a second that science will ever have all the answers, because there is a God involved.

SB y:-?
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Sam1995 wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:
If science is the explanation of phenomena, and it can explain the origins of life and the universe, then not only can it explain what the phenomena are, but also where they originated from, so in that sense science would be able to account for its own existence and answer for itself, as it defines where the phenomena which it explains comes from.

However, realistically this will never happen, I do not believe for a second that science will ever have all the answers, because there is a God involved.

SB y:-?
You'd be right if it weren't for the circularity of it all, science defining what science is.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

My two cents that I'll toss in,

This might be a simple version of what some people have said so far, but one thing I've been thinking about is how science could be flawed because of its reliance on Occam's Razor. Scientists assume that the simplest explanation from our point of view is the correct one. Reality could very easily be more complicated than we give it credit for though, and the correct explanation in given cases might be the seemingly roundabout and absurd one.

I love science, but this could be a huge reason for one to be skeptical of it.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Seraph wrote:My two cents that I'll toss in,

This might be a simple version of what some people have said so far, but one thing I've been thinking about is how science could be flawed because of its reliance on Occam's Razor. Scientists assume that the simplest explanation from our point of view is the correct one. Reality could very easily be more complicated than we give it credit for though, and the correct explanation in given cases might be the seemingly roundabout and absurd one.

You missed the most crucial (albeit often implied) part of Occam's razor, that being the simplest explanation is the correct one until proven otherwise.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It's simple:
Science can only comment on what can be observed in nature.
Those observations are subject to the observers ability to understand what he/she is seeing.
Science makes a comment on what may be the best possible explanation based on that observation UNTIL another one is found to be more correct.
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

How true. Indeed, no one guarantees that the simplest explanation is the correct one. (although I really doubt if "everything happened due to chance" is more simple than the "someone/something created everything"...)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

skakos wrote:

How true. Indeed, no one guarantees that the simplest explanation is the correct one. (although I really doubt if "everything happened due to chance" is more simple than the "someone/something created everything"...)
One thing I wish to note: Well, what is simple when considering science? What is not simple now, can be simple later. In science it happens all the time that with new theory some things get much simpler. Before that theory there were no glasses through which it would seem simple.

From which point are we to look to see whether something is simple or not? Is there really some point? Tell me what do you think.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart