The bible. Should we it take it literally ?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The bible. Should we it take it literally ?

Post by RickD »

Well, Paula was young and pretty when I knew her but she would be an old lady by now. And what were you doing at a teacher's convention?????
I had just gone apple picking, and I had a full bucket of apples left. I figured that teachers like apples, so...
As for your childhood friend, well, if he moved to Canada, you know he's a dope.
My friend moved to Canada because he wanted to drive on the left side of the road. Why else would anybody move to Canada?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:My friend moved to Canada because he wanted to drive on the left side of the road. Why else would anybody move to Canada?
Well, your friend is real a dummy. In Canada, we drive on the same side as in the USA. Ireland, the UK, Australia & New Zealand all drive on the wrong side of the road.*

FL :roll:

*Ditto for bizarre places like Japan and South Africa, but nobody wants to emigrate there.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote:My friend moved to Canada because he wanted to drive on the left side of the road. Why else would anybody move to Canada?
Well, your friend is real a dummy. In Canada, we drive on the same side as in the USA. Ireland, the UK, Australia & New Zealand all drive on the wrong side of the road.*

FL :roll:

*Ditto for bizarre places like Japan and South Africa, but nobody wants to emigrate there.
Why did the siamese twins move to Canada?

Because the other one wanted to drive.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:Why did the siamese twins move to Canada?

Pretty good...this should be in the joke section. I wonder what Sam thinks of our perverting of his thread...

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

RickD wrote:Why did the siamese twins move to Canada?

Pretty good...this should be in the joke section. I wonder what Sam thinks of our perverting of his thread...

FL
Quite funny more than anything else! lol

SB :amen:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Sam1995 wrote:

Let us interpret this using the Normal method:

''Quite funny'' meaning amusing, humorous to a mild degree; ''...more than'' meaning - according to the context - not beyond as would be thought but, idiomatically, has the meaning primarily; ''...anything else'' meaning, of all other interpretations I may have, in that he may have some other thoughts about this but they are of no consequence. The signature, SB :amen: indicates that the author is unconcerned about this subject.

Summary: the author has said: ''Quite funny more than anything else.''

Now, let us interpret this using the Allegorical/Mystical method:

''Quite funny...'' when used in this combination, Quite refers to the actions of a matador who furls & unfurls his cape in order to attract a bull's attention, funny means queer, or different, and of unusual manner, so that these words when used in combination have the meaning mesmerizing the victim in a deadly manner; ''...more than'' meaning beyond a certain degree or, more correctly in this context, beyond a level the potential victim can countermand or understand; ''...anything else'' meaning that the matter is confirmed as being above and beyond the ability of the victim to fight against. The signature, SB :amen: indicates the author leaves the outcome of this dire situation in the hands of God and understands that God is sovereign and allows such events to take place.

Summary: the author has said: ''I shall control your mind and your very Will shall be given over to me! There is nothing you can do to stop me!''

FL y:(|)

+ + +

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Sam1995 wrote:

Let us interpret this using the Normal method:

''Quite funny'' meaning amusing, humorous to a mild degree; ''...more than'' meaning - according to the context - not beyond as would be thought but, idiomatically, has the meaning primarily; ''...anything else'' meaning, of all other interpretations I may have, in that he may have some other thoughts about this but they are of no consequence. The signature, SB :amen: indicates that the author is unconcerned about this subject.

Summary: the author has said: ''Quite funny more than anything else.''

Now, let us interpret this using the Allegorical/Mystical method:

''Quite funny...'' when used in this combination, Quite refers to the actions of a matador who furls & unfurls his cape in order to attract a bull's attention, funny means queer, or different, and of unusual manner, so that these words when used in combination have the meaning mesmerizing the victim in a deadly manner; ''...more than'' meaning beyond a certain degree or, more correctly in this context, beyond a level the potential victim can countermand or understand; ''...anything else'' meaning that the matter is confirmed as being above and beyond the ability of the victim to fight against. The signature, SB :amen: indicates the author leaves the outcome of this dire situation in the hands of God and understands that God is sovereign and allows such events to take place.

Summary: the author has said: ''I shall control your mind and your very Will shall be given over to me! There is nothing you can do to stop me!''

FL y:(|)
Did you look into the original Hebrew scripture of that at all? ;)

SB :clap:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Sam1995 wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:Did you look into the original Hebrew scripture of [the above sentence]?
Young man,

What on earth are you talking about? Did you not originally write this cryptic sentence in the Queen's English? Why would I need to consult Hebrew? However, being the Master of Interpretation that I am, I must add, for the edification of the simple-minded, that the word quite is a Spanish literary term meaning to entice. You will now be able to more fully understand my allegory:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Quite refers to the actions of a matador who furls & unfurls his cape in order to attract a bull's attention
It is easy to discover the hidden meanings of words when you have the correct Key.

FL y:-B

+ + +

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Sam1995 wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:Did you look into the original Hebrew scripture of [the above sentence]?
Young man,

What on earth are you talking about? Did you not originally write this cryptic sentence in the Queen's English? Why would I need to consult Hebrew? However, being the Master of Interpretation that I am, I must add, for the edification of the simple-minded, that the word quite is a Spanish literary term meaning to entice. You will now be able to more fully understand my allegory:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Quite refers to the actions of a matador who furls & unfurls his cape in order to attract a bull's attention
It is easy to discover the hidden meanings of words when you have the correct Key.

FL y:-B
My friend, God has truly blessed you with your madness!

SB :lol: :ewink: :eugeek:
humblechristian1959
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by humblechristian1959 »

I am reminded of something I heard many years ago about a young man flipping the Bible open and putting his finger on a passage then doing that a second time, where he would try to following it literally until he came to this.

His first passage was Mat 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

His second was Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

this is not meant to be funny or a joke, I believe my Bible literally but we must use comon sense as well, I look for the most literal meaning always, and I hate interpretation, many are the false doctrines that have come from interpretation!

for me, the bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it.

the History in the word is just that History, then there is prophecy, and practical everyday "this do and thou shalt live" no not commandment keeping but doing the word out of the heart from love.