Stupid/embarrassing things you've done

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Stupid/embarrassing things you've done

Post by RickD »

Ok, I have a story to share with you all. The names have been deleted to protect the idiot who wrote the story. :oops:

We recently bought a new vehicle that my wife uses. Brand spanking new 2012 model. We've had it for 2 months, and I've only driven it a couple of times. It comes with a push button starter on the dash which works as long as the remote is in the vehicle. There is no key to turn that turns the engine on and off. Just put a foot on the brake pedal, and push the start/stop button. Pretty simple right?
So, on to the story...
We decided to take a day trip to Magic Kingdom, and I was in the drivers seat. We arrived in the parking lot at around 9:20 AM. The lot was getting busy, as the park just opened at 9 AM. So anyways, we got out of the car, and had all of our stuff for the day. I took out the remote and pressed the lock button, and we rushed off to catch a trolley ride.

Fast forward to around 8 PM when we were leaving...
We were walking towards the car, and I pushed the unlock button on the car. My son was the first one there, and then my wife. When I got to the car, my wife and son looked at me funny, and that"s when I noticed the car was running.(And no, there is no remote start on the vehicle).

After standing there dumfounded with my wife fuming :crazymad:, I realized I never pushed the button to turn the car off. y#-o y#-o It was running for 11 hours while we were in Magic Kingdom. :bag:

So,that was the stupidest thing I've done in a while. Does anyone have any stupid/embarrassing stories to tell?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Re: Stupid/embarrassing things you've done

Post by Byblos »

My wife did the exact same thing not too long ago Rick, except she left the car running, UNLOCKED, in the middle of a busy main avenue in Brooklyn. Amazingly, after several hours of shopping, the car was still there. No wonder NYC is the safest big city in the country. :D

As for me, in the days of not-so-precise GPS systems, on a trip to NJ GPS tells me to make a right NOW and I did. Except it was a one way street, I'm going the wrong way, and just my luck who do you think is staring at me through his Raybans? Why of course a police officer in his cruiser. He was nice enough to let me off with a warning (after shaking his head several times :shakehead: ).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

What is really bad is that the manufacturer didn't build in an auto shut off. Having 17+ years in the auto industry, I can tell you that the car detects whether the key is in the car or not. It should have a set time limit that the car will idle without the remote key in the car.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
My wife did the exact same thing not too long ago Rick, except she left the car running, UNLOCKED, in the middle of a busy main avenue in Brooklyn. Amazingly, after several hours of shopping, the car was still there. No wonder NYC is the safest big city in the country.
I bet, since New Yorkers are so nice, that while your wife was shopping, someone took her car, washed it, had the oil changed, and returned it to where she left it. :lol:
jlay wrote:
What is really bad is that the manufacturer didn't build in an auto shut off. Having 17+ years in the auto industry, I can tell you that the car detects whether the key is in the car or not. It should have a set time limit that the car will idle without the remote key in the car.
So it's a manufacturer defect! That's it! My wife will have to forgive me now. y#-o
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Here is something really stupid:

I flew a rented Cessna to a small airport in order to impress a pretty girl I had a fancy for. I met het, we took off and I showed her the family farm where she lived from the air. Then we landed, said our goodbyes, and on the way to my plane, I picked up a newspaper. I put the newspaper down on top of the plane's wing to open the door, got in, put my Ran Bans on, waved at the pretty girl looking admiringly at me...and I cranked the engine. Immediately, the newspaper I had forgotten on the wing blew all over the airport, with pages and pages hitting people walking on the tarmac, hitting the terminal building...

I wanted to die right then and there...

FL :oops:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL,

I can picture you now...turning beet red and yelling "MAIR-duuuhhhh!" :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Kenzel »

I backed up into another car literally right after I got my driver's license from the post office :pound:
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Growing up in a small town, everyone knew my motorbike which sometimes can be an unfortunate thing.

I didn't get my car licence until I was 22, so I rode everywhere and went through a lot of tyres in that process.

The first time I had to buy a new tyre was about 6 months after getting my probationary plates, I went to the service shop and Got them to fit a new tyre for me on the front wheel.

The next day I picked up my bike and since it was sunny decided to go for a ride, I came up to the first roundabout in the main street of where I lived and because there was people everywhere that I knew I decided to take the roundabout at speed ( which would have been about 15km/h fully leant over as it was a tight right hand turn.), I leaned the bike into the corner and out came my front tyre from underneath me, as my bike hit the deck I sort of just stood up and did a little jog until I steadied myself. Everyone in the main street was watching, some of them my closest friends. :bag: Boy did I hear about it for the next few years.

What they failed to tell me when I picked up my bike was that when the tyre is made it will have a residue of silicon on the tyre from the mould, and that you should wear it in slowly getting a bit further down in the corners each day until the layer has worn off, then you can go for it.

Every other tyre I have bought since I have been reminded by the shop assistant about this, just a pity they didn't tell me the first time.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Well, I'm sort of a thinking person and at times this can get you to do pretty stupid things.

So I get this bicycle of mine and I went off to get something from the general store. I parked the bike outside, went in to get the things I was told to buy. Came out eating a Mars bar, and walked home, thinking about big questions of life. Eight hours later I figured the bike was missing, by the time I realized and went back, well you can guess, someone else had taken it for a ride and is still to return...that was 8 years ago.

My family still gets a good laugh over it. And they proudly tell it to my in-laws as well, they think its cute. :shakehead:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Never eat a plate of baked beans before you preach... :nono:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Last year in school, badly needed to use the throne.
So I ran around the place and the three main toilets were all locked.
I eventually found a restroom, so I sprinted in and quickly did what I had to do.
Little did I realize, it was the femal staff toilets and the head of the school drama department walked in.
Needless to say, she got a slight shock as I left the bathroom. I've never been able to look her in the eye since! :oops:

SB :oops: y3:-O
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

B. W. wrote:Never eat a plate of baked beans before you preach... :nono:
Are you tooting your own horn Bryan? :swoot: :swoot:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

-
-
-
B. W., would that be what you call "A Journey to Hell and Back"? :esurprised:

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Byblos wrote:
Are you tooting your own horn Bryan? :swoot: :swoot:
RickD wrote:B. W., would that be what you call "A Journey to Hell and Back"? :esurprised:
Err uhh Probably the most legitimate case of Holy Laughter ensued after the little girl cried out while pointing, "Mommy! he tooted!!... y:D
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I never changed the oil in my car... Just kept feeding it oil... Til one day... The engine seized up. :doh:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8