Questions about scientific accuracies in the Bible

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Questions about scientific accuracies in the Bible

Post by cubeus19 »

Hey everyone I recently saw this on another discussion site. A fellow Christ follower posted a list of various scientific accuracies in the Bible such as the earth being a sphere, while science thinking of that time thought it was flat. Or that the earth is held up by nothing where the science of that time said it was on the back of a large animal, or the thing in the Bible that talks about the power of life being in the blood where as the science of the time bled people who were sick.

The conversation was going great until a couple of atheists showed up and tried to point out many so called scientific inaccuracies in the Bible. Here were the main ones they mentioned, in some area of the Bible they said it claims that bats are not birds where as the current science says otherwise.

Another one was about rabbits chewing their cud. The bible says they do but current science says they can not.

Another one was regarding the earth and whether or not it is flat or round. Granted in some areas they said the Bible says it is round but in other areas they said the Bible claims the earth is either flat or that it is even squared.

And finally toward the end they mentioned that in the Bible somewhere it claims that the earth never moves.

I was curious as to whether any of you all have heard of these objections and if so are there any good responses to them? I've heard about the rabbits chewing cud thing a long time ago but I didn't research deep enough about it at the time. But feel free to let me know what you all think.

I've got a feeling that the atheists raising this objection my also be failing to realize that the Bible speaks symbolically or in different manners of speech in some places more so than others and they may be taking some things too literal where the specific writer of that area of the Bible didn't intend it to be literal.

So if you all have any good responses please let me know. Thank you all again, God bless.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Questions about scientific accuracies in the Bible

Post by RickD »

I think you answered your own question
the Bible speaks symbolically or in different manners of speech in some places more so than others and they may be taking some things too literal where the specific writer of that area of the Bible didn't intend it to be literal.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
cubeus19
Established Member

Re: Questions about scientific accuracies in the Bible

Post by cubeus19 »

Cool! I had a feeling I had a shot at it. lol But the rabbits chewing their cud thing, I'm still wondering about, have any info on that? Thanks!