Is the Dalai Lama going to hell?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
agnosticfornow
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Is the Dalai Lama going to hell?

Post by agnosticfornow »

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Dan - thank you in particular, your response and the link you provided was very helpful. Reading the highest-voted bible verses on getting into heaven in that link, I note with interest that (a) John 3:16 and Roman 10:9 set out sufficient but not necessary conditions and (b) John 14:6 sets out a sufficient and necessary condition. Most interestingly the condition in John 14:6 strikes me as the most open to interpretation. I personally interpret John 14:6 to mean that if one lives one's life in the way Jesus taught us to live, or at least try our best to do so, then the Christian God will accept you. I can't thank you enough Dan for leading me to this passage in the Bible; Christianity now makes a whole lot more sense to me.

1over137 - yes it would be helpful to me. Why? Well, I'm obviously using the Dalai Lama as a mere, albeit extreme, example of a loving, compassionate non-believer. I don't think I'll ever become a believer by mere reason alone; I know it takes faith. But hard as I may try, I have difficulty if it is plainly unreasonable. And to me, a Christian God that would reject a living embodiment of Jesus' teachings of love and compassion like the Dalai Lama is plainly unreasonable. All that said, as I state above in my response to Dan, I read John 14:6 as the answer to my question and to one of the biggest difficulties I have with Christianity.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

agnosticfornow wrote:Dan - thank you in particular, your response and the link you provided was very helpful. Reading the highest-voted bible verses on getting into heaven in that link, I note with interest that (a) John 3:16 and Roman 10:9 set out sufficient but not necessary conditions and (b) John 14:6 sets out a sufficient and necessary condition. Most interestingly the condition in John 14:6 strikes me as the most open to interpretation. I personally interpret John 14:6 to mean that if one lives one's life in the way Jesus taught us to live, or at least try our best to do so, then the Christian God will accept you. I can't thank you enough Dan for leading me to this passage in the Bible; Christianity now makes a whole lot more sense to me.
The question is now, do you accept truth, do you recognise truth when you see it, and what will you do with that truth.

The Bible is simpy a love story between God and man, if you love God you will know truth when you see it.

The Bible is also a learning tool, we see the good and the bad in the characters contained within, an open heart will read, learn and grow.

Love God and love others as yourself, pretty simple ethos.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

agnosticfornow wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses.

Dan - thank you in particular, your response and the link you provided was very helpful. Reading the highest-voted bible verses on getting into heaven in that link, I note with interest that (a) John 3:16 and Roman 10:9 set out sufficient but not necessary conditions and (b) John 14:6 sets out a sufficient and necessary condition. Most interestingly the condition in John 14:6 strikes me as the most open to interpretation. I personally interpret John 14:6 to mean that if one lives one's life in the way Jesus taught us to live, or at least try our best to do so, then the Christian God will accept you. I can't thank you enough Dan for leading me to this passage in the Bible; Christianity now makes a whole lot more sense to me.

1over137 - yes it would be helpful to me. Why? Well, I'm obviously using the Dalai Lama as a mere, albeit extreme, example of a loving, compassionate non-believer. I don't think I'll ever become a believer by mere reason alone; I know it takes faith. But hard as I may try, I have difficulty if it is plainly unreasonable. And to me, a Christian God that would reject a living embodiment of Jesus' teachings of love and compassion like the Dalai Lama is plainly unreasonable. All that said, as I state above in my response to Dan, I read John 14:6 as the answer to my question and to one of the biggest difficulties I have with Christianity.
Following is from Romans 10:

10 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the [a]end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5 For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live [c]by that righteousness. 6 But the righteousness [d]based on faith speaks as follows: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 [e]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [f]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [g]resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be [h]disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

I personally try to study the whole Scriptures. I try to put aside my feelings and my wishes and focus on what the Bible tries to say in various passages. I am afraid Dalai Lama would have to confess that Jesus is the Lord and believe with his whole heart that Jesus is our saviour.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart