Clash of the titans?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Sam1995
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Clash of the titans?

Post by Sam1995 »

Can I say first of all that I greatly respect your opinion, you seem a very open minded person! That is a huge positive quality in any person!
Religion, especially with those that claim descent from Abraham, make claims about the afterlife, or afterdeath which are pretty specific. I see no reason to take anything as authoritative on what I see as purely speculative matters.
I see where you are coming from. If I am putting it simply from a Christian perspective, this is where the idea of faith comes into play. Faith begins where human limitations end in many respects, and by that I mean that we could never empirically prove the eschatalogical aspect of the Bible is truth, but I have faith that it is because I believe God to be true to His word.
Not sure what you mean here. It's not so much that I feel Christianity is not true religion, it's just one religion of many. One can explore a relationship with the divine through many vehicles. Jesus is to me one of the huge lights in humanities understanding of the divine, but I see no convincing reason to accept everything that was attributed to him as Gospel.

I have no idea what will happen when I die, I thought that might change when I was recently diagnosed with leukaemia and felt for a while like I was staring death in the face, it didn't. I will find out what happens when I die when I die, until then I will follow my heart. My overriding philosophy since my diagnosis has been that of 'wash every dish as if it were a baby Buddha' or a baby Jesus if you prefer - I feel like Christianity as it is often portrayed these days is an ego trip, it's largely based on concern for oneself and the want to keep the self going on forever in the most favourable conditions imaginable. I'm doing the best I can, and failing, along with everyone else here.
I suppose I find myself in the same place again. It seems to me that you just have an issue with the diea of personally believing Jesus Christ to be the real Lord of all and that's fine, many people have an issue with that and it is a decision which you make within yourself! I deeply sympathize with you over your condition, may I ask if you are still suffering from it or has it since ceased? I think that self-centered, egoistic Christianity is a difficult one to discuss, personally I believe that as Christians we should have a heart for other people and helping them in any possible manner, all the time trying not to be self-centered and egoistic but I understand that there are many Christians who are like that. We all fall short of the glory of God, that's why we're doing the best we can but are failing, as you so rightly put it. That is why I'm so grateful of the measures that God went to simply to ensure that His grace would cover all of my sin, and yours if you're willing to accept it.

SB
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

I'm a fan of Karen Armstrong, her opinions on faith and how it has changed over the years. As one who rejected much of the ideas of faith I was brought up with, she's helping bring me round to the idea. I don't really see faith as a conviction that some very definite things happened in the past and that some very definite things are going to happen in the future. Perhaps in time that will change but in the mean time I've got faith that my relationship with the divine will get me where I need to, not necessarily want to, be.

This is quite a long piece but the first page or two should give you an idea of a viewpoint I can sympathise with. If you've got a spare 45 mins the speech part of this recent video covers it along with a few others things that chime in with my thoughts. The next 45 minutes is question time which consists mainly of her going uuummmmmm.....errrrrrrrr.....and repeating herself in between, not her best day. There's a fair chunk of it regarding myth which should be relevant to thread. I'm sure there are scholarly types here who would take joy in ripping her idea to bits but I think she weaves a nice narrative.

Health wise I'm pretty pleased. Turns out I've got the only, I think, cancer which can't be beaten or cured but all going well can be lived with. I've got it almost under control and if I can keep it that way for 3-5 years the outlook for the next 30-40 years or more is pretty good. "Typical" said my wife, "trust you to get cancer and establish a longterm relationship with it, everyone else either fights it or dies" :lol:
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

I'll perhaps give it a read and a watch when I can :)
Health wise I'm pretty pleased. Turns out I've got the only, I think, cancer which can't be beaten or cured but all going well can be lived with. I've got it almost under control and if I can keep it that way for 3-5 years the outlook for the next 30-40 years or more is pretty good. "Typical" said my wife, "trust you to get cancer and establish a longterm relationship with it, everyone else either fights it or dies"
That's great, really good that you have almost got it under control, from family experience I know how hard it can be for someone and their family having to cope with a situation such as cancer, so it's fantastic that things are looking good for you! The Lord is blessing you! ;) Still praying..

SB :amen:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

Proinsias, your in my daily prayers from now on for a complete recovery :)
My dad recently got diagnosed with cancer and its been tough to deal with since he's also my best friend.
Your gonna beat it buddy
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Thanks a lot Bippy. Maybe one day they'll figure out a cure but in the meantime I'm hugely thankful to be in a time and place where it can be managed effectively with tablets I can get on with. Thoughts are with you and your family too.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

Proinsias wrote:Thanks a lot Bippy. Maybe one day they'll figure out a cure but in the meantime I'm hugely thankful to be in a time and place where it can be managed effectively with tablets I can get on with. Thoughts are with you and your family too.
Thank you also my friend , those words of kindness mean the world to me. I'm very glad to see that there are ways to manage it :).
I'm sure glad to have an ipad mini, as my prayer list is growing at an exponential rate :mrgreen:
Please take care of yourself and try not to let anyone or anything stress you out.
Please keep us posted :)
Bippy