Existance of Infinity

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Ukranianlys
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Existance of Infinity

Post by Ukranianlys »

Just a simple question that brought upon a mountain of thinking. How can I prove infinite can exist? Rational of course
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Existance of Infinity

Post by jlay »

Just tell someone to start counting, and let you know when they reach the end. :pound:

There are a couple of ways to examine the topic. Why are you wanting to prove infinity?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Ukranianlys
Familiar Member

Post by Ukranianlys »

Oh someone had mentioned how can god exist if infinity can not be proven. I didn't question my faith, I just thought it was an interesting view that I didn't know the answer to
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by GreyDeSilvisanctis »

Well, Ukranianlys, obviously this has something to do with Math. I'm not a math major but infinity does exist. We just can't fully explain it because it's very hard to observe it.
Maybe what that person meant is something concerning limits. Take for example, the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0. The answer is DNE or Does Not Exist and this is because if we take the limit from the right approach, we get positive infinity but if we take limit from the left approach, we get negative infinity. The limit does not exist at that point because the two limits do not equal.

~Grey
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Ukranianlys wrote:Just a simple question that brought upon a mountain of thinking. How can I prove infinite can exist? Rational of course
Set of integers is infinite. Proof?

Assume integers are finite and name the last integer N. But N+1 is also integer and therefore the assumption is wrong. Therefore integers are infinite.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

1over137 wrote:Assume integers are finite and name the last integer N. But N+1 is also integer and therefore the assumption is wrong. Therefore integers are infinite.
I'm not a physicist but that sounds flawed. if you ASSUME one is the LAST, then how can you add "1" to the last. By adding one it negates any notion that it is the last of something. Further, it's an assumption, and assumptions don't exist physically to add '1" to.

I wouldn't say God exist infinitely. He exists eternally. God exists transcendent of time. Time is required to count. If you are counting then how could you ever get to the current number, if there are an infinite amount of numbers preceeding the current one?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

jlay wrote:
1over137 wrote:Assume integers are finite and name the last integer N. But N+1 is also integer and therefore the assumption is wrong. Therefore integers are infinite.
I'm not a physicist but that sounds flawed. if you ASSUME one is the LAST, then how can you add "1" to the last. By adding one it negates any notion that it is the last of something. Further, it's an assumption, and assumptions don't exist physically to add '1" to.

I wouldn't say God exist infinitely. He exists eternally. God exists transcendent of time. Time is required to count. If you are counting then how could you ever get to the current number, if there are an infinite amount of numbers preceeding the current one?
Imagine that you have numbers 1,2,3,4,5. Five is 'last'. But 5 + 1 = 6. So, 5 is really not last. Similarly N is not last in my previous example. I proved 5 is not last. I also proved N is not last.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

"Imagine."

Further, we really aren't talking about infinity in the same sense. Time is change. Of course you can imagine a number line going negative one way and positive another. But infinite regress regarding time has huge problems. And so, this doesn't really address the OP.