Parable of the Fig tree

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
christianarevalo
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Parable of the Fig tree

Post by christianarevalo »

Hi,

Good Morning. I just would like to ask about the passage in the book of Matthew about the "Parable of the Fig Tree"? Does it pertain to our generation will be the last and we will witness the Great Tribulation and the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ?

More Power

Thanks
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Parable of the Fig tree

Post by jlay »

No. The generation present at this statement was Israel.

And he told this parable: “A man had ta fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. And he said to the vinedresser, ‘Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?’ And he answered him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.’ ”

Another parable of the fig tree is in Luke. One error often made in interpretation is that the use of an object as an allegory must be interpreted the same in all uses. Is the parable above used in the same teaching manner as Matt. 24:32? Earlier in Matt. we don't have a parable but an actual fig tree.
It could be that the same object (fig tree) is being used as an allegory towards two different things.
Jesus' earthly ministry was regarding the Kingdom promises to Israel. The parable in Luke is about apostate Israel. Jesus' ministry to Israel was about three years. He was then crucified. But we know that His ministry continued with Peter and the little flock at the day of Pentecost. This message was still calling apostate Israel to repentance and faith in the Messiah. We know, corporately, Israel rejected this extra time or chance to respond. So, in that sense I don't think we today are that generation.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Important to remember that the various letters and books of the bible may be written for us BUT they were NOT written TO Us.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

christianarevalo wrote:Hi,

Good Morning. I just would like to ask about the passage in the book of Matthew about the "Parable of the Fig Tree"? Does it pertain to our generation will be the last and we will witness the Great Tribulation and the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ?

More Power

Thanks
Could it be in our generation? Sure.. There are many signs that we see today of His second coming. Some see the Fig Tree as the formation of the land of Israel, but I think probably a better description of it would be the maturity of the spiritual fruit of the people of Israel as recorded in Song of Songs 2: 8-13 and Hosea 9:10.. Keep in mind that we have only ONE eternal covenant made only to the House of Israel as an EVERLASTING covenant 1 Chronicles 16:15-18, Psalm 105:9-11, Jeremiah 31:35-37, Hebrews 8:7-10... Which means Israel and the covenants will NEVER go away.. It is most certainly a permanent covenant... So how do we get in? The Bible is very clear that Christian’s graft into the commonwealth of Israel and are co-citizens of the estate as recorded in Ephesians 2:11-13, 19, Ephesians 3:6, Romans 11:11-24, Galatians 4:28.

Blessings..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

christianarevalo wrote:Hi,

More Power

Thanks
My opinion is that the fig tree represents Matthew 24:15 that is getting ready to blossom over Israel...after maturing for a period of time...

Now read: Dan 12:11, "From the time that the regular sacrifice is abolished and the abomination of desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days." NASB

Next Goolge - Islam 1290 and you'll discover this:

THE OTTOMAN SULT.NS
AND CALIPHS, 1290-1924 AD
http://www.friesian.com/turkia.htm

1290 and the Great Calphads started when? 1290

688 AD the Dome of the Rock was placed where?

Read the verse from Daniel quoted below form the NIrV as it helps clarify the nuances of the Hebrew

Dan 9:27 "A covenant will be put into effect with many people for one 'week.' In the middle of the 'week' sacrifices and offerings will come to an end. In one part of the temple a hated thing that destroys will be set up. It will remain until the LORD brings the end he has ordered."

Now look at this tidbit of information: http://www.israelinbibleprophecy.com/daniels_1290.htm

Ask yourself - what is the recent Arab Spring thingy???

What Religion has killed and devastated more folks than any other? Enslaves more? What is Shria Law? What is the goal of the Islamist - world Domination - what was the Caliph period about?

What was built on one part (wings) of the old temple in 688 AD? What is still there today?

Luke 21:29, "Then He spoke to them a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. 30 When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near. 31 So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. 32 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place." NKJV

Not at all what you suspected, now is it?
-
-
-
Other Notes: Temple of Jupiter

Quote Below from

http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bible-ar ... -floor.htm

...138 AD. Hadrian, revisits the actions of he predecessor Antiochus IV Epiphanes and sets up a Temple of Jupiter on the Temple mount, ordering circumcision to cease and expelling the Jews from Jerusalem altogether. He not only made himself the object of worship in this temple, but made Jerusalem the capital city of the Roman world for the worship of Jupiter. He also built an temple to Jupiter in Baalbek, Lebanon that is still standing today. Just as Hitler deceived British Prime Minister Chamberlain in 1938 AD that there would be "peace in our time", so too Hadrian deceived the Jews to believe that he was peacefully rebuilding the Jewish Temple, when in fact he was constructing the world headquarters "Temple of Jupiter". As construction began, the Jews probably even helped in thankfulness and praise to Hadrian. But when the Jews finally learned of Hadrian's true intent, as did England learn of Hitler's, they rebelled and a huge war broke out in 132 AD where 85 major Jewish towns were destroyed and 580,000 Jewish men were killed. The false promises of peace of Hadrian and Hitler both resulted in major holocausts against the Jews. Israel came to the promised land with about 600,000 men and they were finally expelled from the land by having about 600,000 men killed by Hadrian. The Temple of Jupiter was completed on the temple mount in 135 AD and was the most important (Jupiter Capitolinus) "Temple to Jupiter" in the world. While the Jews of Hadrian's time may have been looking for the story of 2 Maccabees conclude with a similar victory for the Jews, Hadrian was likely reminded of the same 2 Macc. text to make sure the ending was different...

The above quote is important - Jupiter was a god of conquest. The same as the Moon God Religion of ancient Babylon, which evolved into Islam today. It conquers all other religions, takes parts from these and synthesizes them to justify a Geo-political religious tyranny over the people 'i'e the iron law to rule the clay (peoples).

The Jewish people were not completely expelled from the land in 70 AD but rather they were expelled by 135 AD. The Temple sacrificial system was cut off 70 AD. Jesus did not appear in 70 AD nor in 135 AD. Jesus warned of wars and rumors of war until the time of the end and going after false messiahs. After reading Daniels prophecies - a new building that represents an ancient system that is - one - an admonition and - two - the makes desolations would be set out on the fringes of the old temple. The Temple of Jupiter was built first but Jupiter is not as old as Babylon's religion of the Moon God. The Moon god represents the fallen angel Lucifer and hence - a religious abomination. It also made ruin - desolations of people. In the book of Revelation we have mention of the Babylonian system - revised. Daniel mentions a structure that would be built somewhere on the temple mount that would remain until the time of the end - now we have the Dome of the Rock sitting there - a reflection of the Moon God religion of the Crescent Moon...

This system is on the march - worldwide seeking world domination - so when you see the tree beginning to blossom - know that this generation will not pass away until all is fulfilled...

The events of 131 to 136 Ad were only a foreshadow, not the real deal. Revelation's Book makes it known that the system is a world wide system at the time of the end - not a known world event of ancient Rome in 135 AD. That is the difference and marks what causes confusion to the Hyper Preterist and Hyper Dispensationalist positions on this matter. Another give away is Isaiah 11:11, 12 as these verses were not fulfilled until 1948. Back in the 70 - 135 AD period marked the beginnings of the second scattering of the Jewish people. The second time regathering points to 1948 time frame and thus tosses a monkey wrench into hyper Preteist ideology. Therefore, though the event of 131 - 135 AD mirror future events, they are not the future event Jesus spoke of and Revelation's Book reveals.
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys