Lent

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Lent

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I guess no one is interested in tradition these days except me. :(
Daniel, in the U. S., lent is predominantly observed by Catholics.
I remember growing up, and the Catholic children didn't eat meat on Fridays during lent. I grew up in probably the most Catholic state in the U. S. I would guess at least half of the kids I grew up with were Catholic, and most of them gave up stuff for lent, about as well as we all keep new year's resolutions. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I guess no one is interested in tradition these days except me. :(
Daniel, in the U. S., lent is predominantly observed by Catholics.
I remember growing up, and the Catholic children didn't eat meat on Fridays during lent. I grew up in probably the most Catholic state in the U. S. I would guess at least half of the kids I grew up with were Catholic, and most of them gave up stuff for lent, about as well as we all keep new year's resolutions. :lol:

Lol, pretty much every denomination in Australia has people who follow the tradition of lent, I didn't even know that it was a RCC tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

Anyway even if it is dominated by RCC, that does not mean it is a bad thing, I love Easter and I want to prepare my mind, body and soul for celebrating Christ's work. :jesus:

But each to their own, you can celebrate anyway you wish. :ebiggrin:

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Anyway even if it is dominated by RCC, that does not mean it is a bad thing
Oh no, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just making an educated guess to why you may not get a whole lot of people responding, that's all.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Oh no, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just making an educated guess to why you may not get a whole lot of people responding, that's all.
Ah I see, I thought it was a common Christian tradition, guess I was wrong. y#-o
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

As an Episcopalian, we still do lent. I think I'm going to give up soda this year. I've always tried to do a loophole and do something that I know I could go a long time without, like candy, but now I decided that if I'm going to commit myself to Jesus, then I should commit something that I'd actually have trouble with.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Ah I see, I thought it was a common Christian tradition, guess I was wrong. y#-o
You may be right Daniel. Christians around the world may observe lent. Maybe some people outside the U. S. will chime in. :samen:

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:
You may be right Daniel. Christians around the world may observe lent. Maybe some people outside the U. S. will chime in.
(While reading the following, bear in mind that Christians outside the USA may drink alcohol without fear of burning in Hell.)

I don't observe Lent. I didn't even know it was Lent until a friend I invited over for supper tonight told me that he would bring grape juice instead of wine. It seems he observes Lent this way...very bizarre to me since he is an anti-semite, doesn't go to church and blasphemes on occasion.

FL :incense:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
(While reading the following, bear in mind that Christians outside the USA may drink alcohol without fear of burning in Hell.)
Heathens! :shakehead: :pound:
I don't observe Lent. I didn't even know it was Lent until a friend I invited over for supper tonight told me that he would bring grape juice instead of wine. It seems he observes Lent this way...very bizarre to me since he is an anti-semite, doesn't go to church and blasphemes on occasion.
FL, your choice of friends seems a bit strange. But, who else are you gonna choose from, amongst the heathens in Montreal? :cheers:

FL, you are truly a beacon of light shining in a world of darkness(French Canada). :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:FL, your choice of friends seems a bit strange. But, who else are you gonna choose from, amongst the heathens in Montreal?
Now that you mention it, I really do have a bunch of oddballs as friends: in addition to my Lent worshipper, my friends include a rabid atheist, a Muslim, a womanizer, a Buddhist, an ashram student, a spiritually-confused former nominal Christian, and a very-very wealthy real Christian.

Didn't Jesus have a similar friend profile?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Now that you mention it, I really do have a bunch of oddballs as friends: in addition to my Lent worshipper, my friends include a rabid atheist, a Muslim, a womanizer, a Buddhist, an ashram student, a spiritually-confused former nominal Christian, and a very-very wealthy real Christian.

Didn't Jesus have a similar friend profile?

FL y:-?
No! But remember, Jesus didn't live in Canada either! :pound:
Isn't Canada the "melting pot of debauchery"?

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:Isn't Canada the "melting pot of debauchery"?
Canada is full of perverts but I think the ''melting pot of debauchery'' would be the USA.

What does this have to do with Lent???

Oh, yes...about the alcohol thing: American Christians who are Catholic may drink alcohol. Messianic Jews from the USA also drink alcohol. What's with this Protestant hangup with alcohol in the USA?

FL :cheers:

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
Canada is full of perverts but I think the ''melting pot of debauchery'' would be the USA.

What does this have to do with Lent???
I guess people who live a life of debauchery want to make some kind of amends. Maybe lent allows them to feel good by giving up something that they feel isn't good. You know, if one does a few good things for God, maybe God will overlook the bad stuff.

FL wrote:
Oh, yes...about the alcohol thing: American Christians who are Catholic may drink alcohol. Messianic Jews from the USA also drink alcohol. What's with this Protestant hangup with alcohol in the USA?
FL, I honestly don't see this "hangup" with alcohol you are referring to. I think there's a problem with getting drunk, per se. But drinking alcohol...
Where did you get the idea that those that consider themselves Protestants, think drinking alcohol is a sin? Maybe you've been befriending too many Baptists? I thought your Canadian friends were bad. Now you're friends with American Baptists? FL, you really need some new friends. :shakehead: :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:I guess people who live a life of debauchery want to make some kind of amends. Maybe lent allows them to feel good by giving up something that they feel isn't good. You know, if one does a few good things for God, maybe God will overlook the bad stuff.
That makes sense...in a man-made religion sort-of way...but we have been warned about such stuff: Col 2:20-23.
RickD wrote:Where did you get the idea that those that consider themselves Protestants, think drinking alcohol is a sin?
It is just an idea I have...maybe you are right and it came as a result of spending too much time around Baptists.

Lenny lent Laurie lovely laurels last Lent!

FL :amen:

+ + +

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

I'm giving up meaningless religious poppycock.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

jlay wrote:I'm giving up meaningless religious poppycock.

How is this meaningless and how is it religious?

Might as well forget about any Christian holiday, for fear of it becoming "religious poppycock", or we could just forget about Christ altogether.

I think there is a religious adherence to being anti-religious these days, and the irony seems to escape them.

Dan