Why am I here

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why am I here

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are two types of skeptics:
Those that do not believe because they truly have not had any evidence to believe.
Those that do not believe because they are closed minded to what evidence may be or to to what they consider evidence.
Typically I ask skeptics what evidence would they accept or what they would consider proof that God exists.
Typically the answers I get would be dismissed by the very skeptics if they were given to them by a believer.

I think that when a skeptic has made up their mind, there is no use in discussing these things with them.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:There are two types of skeptics:
Those that do not believe because they truly have not had any evidence to believe.
Those that do not believe because they are closed minded to what evidence may be or to to what they consider evidence.
Typically I ask skeptics what evidence would they accept or what they would consider proof that God exists.
Typically the answers I get would be dismissed by the very skeptics if they were given to them by a believer.

I think that when a skeptic has made up their mind, there is no use in discussing these things with them.
And there are also blind people.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by MAGSolo »

I actually think there is a ton of evidence in favor of a godlike creator. It is the ubiquitous and persistent presence of evil and suffering that has plagued human history that has caused me to view that evidence in another light. I fully believed in God with all my heart and mind until I truly came to see and understand what a terrible species humans are. I now find it highly unlikely that a god that professes to be good could be responsible for it nor could a God that professes to be good just sit by while countless people are beaten, raped, tortured, and suffer every single day of human existence.. I think most of you aren't fully aware of how terrible humans are. you may be aware on a grand scale that humans have done some bad things but most of you I'm certain have never sat and read case by case the atrocities that a person has suffered at the hands of another. Not to mention the numerous cases of rulers that have massacred either their own people or other nations.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

MAGSolo wrote:

I actually think there is a ton of evidence in favor of a godlike creator. It is the ubiquitous and persistent presence of evil and suffering that has plagued human history that has caused me to view that evidence in another light. I fully believed in God with all my heart and mind until I truly came to see and understand what a terrible species humans are. I now find it highly unlikely that a god that professes to be good could be responsible for it nor could a God that professes to be good just sit by while countless people are beaten, raped, tortured, and suffer every single day of human existence.. I think most of you aren't fully aware of how terrible humans are. you may be aware on a grand scale that humans have done some bad things but most of you I'm certain have never sat and read case by case the atrocities that a person has suffered at the hands of another. Not to mention the numerous cases of rulers that have massacred either their own people or other nations.
Everyone here is well aware of our violent history, we don't live under rocks.
All the more reason to require a savior like Jesus.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I only have one question for you magsolo, if you could be God for a day how would you have done things differently.

Remembering that free will has to remain intact for there to be love.

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by MAGSolo »

I would have set beings (like maybe Idk...angels) over us humans whose sole purpose would be to protect humans from falling victim to the evil whims of their fellow man. I would order them to act swiftly to prevent or curtail any and all serious acts of aggression such as murder, rape, warfare, slavery and so forth, any act that would result in serious harm to one or more individuals; a supernatural police force if you will. God apparently has innumerable angels at his command as Jesus said that if he but appealed to his father that he would send 12 legions of angels to protect him. A legion is 3000-6000 units so obviously there is no shortage of angels sitting around waiting to be called upon. So that is what I would do. If Jesus could call on legions of angels at a moments notice then I would have these angels on call at a moments notice to aid and protect any individual that may need them for protection against harm.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

MAGSolo wrote:I would have set beings (like maybe Idk...angels) over us humans whose sole purpose would be to protect humans from falling victim to the evil whims of their fellow man. I would order them to act swiftly to prevent or curtail any and all serious acts of aggression such as murder, rape, warfare, slavery and so forth, any act that would result in serious harm to one or more individuals; a supernatural police force if you will. God apparently has innumerable angels at his command as Jesus said that if he but appealed to his father that he would send 12 legions of angels to protect him. A legion is 3000-6000 units so obviously there is no shortage of angels sitting around waiting to be called upon. So that is what I would do. If Jesus could call on legions of angels at a moments notice then I would have these angels on call at a moments notice to aid and protect any individual that may need them for protection against harm.

God did what you have said, but because the angels had free will, some rebelled against God and bought sin to this world, even winning over man to rebel against God as well.

What makes you think that angels still don't watch over us, I have felt their presence many times in difficult situations and I have also felt the presence of the fallen angels.

There is a spiritual battle going on and we are the "prize", our lives are being won and lost all the time.

Dan
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

MAGSolo wrote: I think most of you aren't fully aware of how terrible humans are.
-
I would have set beings (like maybe Idk...angels) over us humans whose sole purpose would be to protect humans from falling victim to the evil whims of their fellow man. I would order them to act swiftly to prevent or curtail any and all serious acts of aggression such as murder, rape, warfare, slavery and so forth, any act that would result in serious harm to one or more individuals; a supernatural police force if you will. God apparently has innumerable angels at his command as Jesus said that if he but appealed to his father that he would send 12 legions of angels to protect him. A legion is 3000-6000 units so obviously there is no shortage of angels sitting around waiting to be called upon. So that is what I would do. If Jesus could call on legions of angels at a moments notice then I would have these angels on call at a moments notice to aid and protect any individual that may need them for protection against harm.
Yes, some humans are really terrible. And some I would even call great evil.

And I would create heaven for people. Mag, we are on earth now, we are sinners, there is evil and there is suffering. And I view suffering on this earth almost nothing comparable to joy in heaven. Furthermore, knowing the evil and its causes make us appreciate the good and long for it. Do you appreciate, Mag, all God has done for us? And do you want to live in a new world where there is no suffering?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

MAGSolo wrote:I would have set beings (like maybe Idk...angels) over us humans whose sole purpose would be to protect humans from falling victim to the evil whims of their fellow man. I would order them to act swiftly to prevent or curtail any and all serious acts of aggression such as murder, rape, warfare, slavery and so forth, any act that would result in serious harm to one or more individuals; a supernatural police force if you will. God apparently has innumerable angels at his command as Jesus said that if he but appealed to his father that he would send 12 legions of angels to protect him. A legion is 3000-6000 units so obviously there is no shortage of angels sitting around waiting to be called upon. So that is what I would do. If Jesus could call on legions of angels at a moments notice then I would have these angels on call at a moments notice to aid and protect any individual that may need them for protection against harm.
Magsolo , don't you think it's a bit presumptuous to believe that if we had the chance that we could do a better job then God. We are not outside time, we live in a finite reality, and he respects our free will.
Isn't it enough for you that he came down from his throne in heaven and carried the burden of all of our sins and allowed himself to be put through such agony because he loves us all so much? Don't you think he at least deserves some of your trust.
I don't pretend to think I can do Gods job because it is way beyond me, as I believe it is way beyond any human. Rings understanding.
Why not give him your heart , it's all he wants from u man :)
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:

God did what you have said, but because the angels had free will, some rebelled against God and bought sin to this world, even winning over man to rebel against God as well.

What makes you think that angels still don't watch over us, I have felt their presence many times in difficult situations and I have also felt the presence of the fallen angels.

There is a spiritual battle going on and we are the "prize", our lives are being won and lost all the time.

Dan
My grandfather felt and even saw an angel save him from being murdered in some remote Egyptian beach.
They still watch over us magsolo.