I just love the classics!

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

I just love the classics!

Post by RickD »

Here's a classic. One of my all-time favorites:
Tiptoe through the Tulips
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: I just love the classics!

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:Here's a classic. One of my all-time favorites:
Bizzare.

I always had a mental image of you as a stocky, muscular, US Marines-type with a crew cut...but such a guy would probably not listen to an emasculated singer living in an LSD-induced stupor.

Tell me, RickD, is there a good ol' American flag in front of your home or are you flying the Rainbow flag?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Bizzare.

I always had a mental image of you as a stocky, muscular, US Marines-type with a crew cut...but such a guy would probably not listen to an emasculated singer living in an LSD-induced stupor.

Tell me, RickD, is there a good ol' American flag in front of your home or are you flying the Rainbow flag?

FL
FL,
Only those secure in their masculinity can enjoy a good Tiny Tim song. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. :pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Oh, and FL, just an FYI. Tiny Tim professed faith in Christ. :amen:

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

It figures... :lol:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Here's another. From beginning to end, listen to his amazing range.
Tiny Tim-Earth Angel

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick, I always knew you must be a closet "Five Pointer." :pound: And notice the hidden meaning in the last two lyric lines: "Will you pardon me? And tiptoe through the tulips with me?" Nope, I refuse to listen to such a theologically sinister song, which was probably written under the influence of who knows how many (at least FIVE) illegal substances. Plus I don't think that Tiny had a very strong handshake (Miss Vicki was just his clever, if weird, cover). :lol:

And the above is the same reason I don't watch "Hawaii Five-O" - and everyone just thinks it's a mere crime show ... :shakehead: and the actresses on it keep saying things like, "it's our destiny, we're meant to be." :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock:
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Philip wrote:And the above is the same reason I don't watch "Hawaii Five-O" - and everyone just thinks it's a mere crime show ... :shakehead: and the actresses on it keep saying things like, "it's our destiny, we're meant to be." :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock:
I'm just curious, what is the issue with Hawaii Five-O? I've never seen it because I don't watch Cop Shows that much (except Castle). Is it New Age propaganda or something?
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Dudeacus97 wrote:
Philip wrote:And the above is the same reason I don't watch "Hawaii Five-O" - and everyone just thinks it's a mere crime show ... :shakehead: and the actresses on it keep saying things like, "it's our destiny, we're meant to be." :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock:
I'm just curious, what is the issue with Hawaii Five-O? I've never seen it because I don't watch Cop Shows that much (except Castle). Is it New Age propaganda or something?
:pound:
I think Philip is making a joke with five-o, and five point Calvinism.

Book em Dudeacus!!!

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Rick, I always knew you must be a closet "Five Pointer." :pound: And notice the hidden meaning in the last two lyric lines: "Will you pardon me? And tiptoe through the tulips with me?" Nope, I refuse to listen to such a theologically sinister song, which was probably written under the influence of who knows how many (at least FIVE) illegal substances. Plus I don't think that Tiny had a very strong handshake (Miss Vicki was just his clever, if weird, cover). :lol:

And the above is the same reason I don't watch "Hawaii Five-O" - and everyone just thinks it's a mere crime show ... :shakehead: and the actresses on it keep saying things like, "it's our destiny, we're meant to be." :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock:
Philip, have you no shame? Poor Tiny Tim!! Between you and FL, Tiny Tim must be rolling over in his grave!

Tiny Tim was the kind of guy we all should aspire to be. He was who he was, no matter what anyone else thought or said.
He was a true original in the greatest sense.
God created Tiny Tim, and loved him just the way he was. :amen:

God Bless Tiny Tim!

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Book em Dudeacus!!!
Yes, guilty as charged! And bad jokes should be a crime! Even RICK almost missed the intended joke - much more about this forum's long running "discussions" over various kinds of "elections."

But seriously, Rick, I'm a musician and guitarist, and thus I appreciate a huge range of musical genres, which is why I truly and GREATLY appreciate and admire Tim. I also happen to know a fair bit about him. He had virtually an encyclopedic knowledge of later 1800s to early 1920s/30s popular American music and early folk styles. And his great love and knowledge of so many tunes of bygone eras, helped him bring them to the attention of and appreciation of new generations of people that would have otherwise remained unfamiliar with them. And when you listen to "Tiptoe" against that historical/musical backdrop, you hear it far differently. And to think that he re-popularized so much of 20s/30s music, in the midst of the beginnings of hard rock, it's even more remarkable.

I also think that Tim was a smart fellow who well knew that he was a man with sensibilities of another time, and that he was keenly aware that he was a bit of an odd duck (even against the tremendous weirdness of his day), and so he likely exaggerated some of those traits so as to more effectively promote and market himself. And he certainly was heterosexual. He was only soft spoken, shy and very sensitive, and a moralist who likely found much of the 60s' counterculture to be crude, loud, vain, destructive and massively narcissistic (some things never change). And so he was treated as a freak, albeit a freak from a different era from the freaks of his day. And thus most missed his genius and his passion for old music because all they could see was his oft-perceived, weird, strange persona, merely thinking it all (music included) to be one big joke or put-on. And almost equally sad, they also failed to recognize the beauty and simplicity of the music Tim was so enthusiastic to resurrect/bring attention to, which was from a far different time. But if Tim hadn't been so different and seemingly strange, it's likely that none of the music he so loved would have been given the attention that he most definitely brought it. And so many didn't appreciate what Tim had brought about musically until long after he had done so.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote: Tiny Tim was the kind of guy we all should aspire to be. He was who he was, no matter what anyone else thought or said.
Well, yeah, I do admire integrity. (Even in a Howard Stern.)
Philip wrote:I also think that Tim was a smart fellow who well knew that he was a man with sensibilities of another time, and that he was keenly aware that he was a bit of an odd duck (even against the tremendous weirdness of his day), and so he likely exaggerated some of those traits so as to more effectively promote and market himself. And he certainly was heterosexual. He was only soft spoken, shy and very sensitive, and a moralist who likely found much of the 60s' counterculture to be crude, loud, vain, destructive and massively narcissistic (some things never change). And so he was treated as a freak, albeit a freak from a different era from the freaks of his day. And thus most missed his genius and his passion for old music because all they could see was his oft-perceived, weird, strange persona, merely thinking it all (music included) to be one big joke or put-on. And almost equally sad, they also failed to recognize the beauty and simplicity of the music Tim was so enthusiastic to resurrect/bring attention to, which was from a far different time. But if Tim hadn't been so different and seemingly strange, it's likely that none of the music he so loved would have been given the attention that he most definitely brought it. And so many didn't appreciate what Tim had brought about musically until long after he had done so.
...OK, so maybe I shouldn't be so hard on Tiny Tim. I apologize for my Rainbow flag comment, Mr RickD :oops:

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
But seriously, Rick, I'm a musician and guitarist, and thus I appreciate a huge range of musical genres, which is why I truly and GREATLY appreciate and admire Tim.
It's funny Philip. I have absolutely zero musical and singing ability. I think that's why I admire singers so much. I've been able to do pretty much anything I've attempted, at least at some level, except singing.
I really admire the ability different kinds of singers have. It's just an amazing God-given gift.
FL wrote:
Well, yeah, I do admire integrity. (Even in a Howard Stern.)
It's interesting you mention Howard Stern. I was not a big fan of his radio show, but he's earned my respect after watching him on America's Got Talent. He's a true professional there, IMO.
FL wrote:
...OK, so maybe I shouldn't be so hard on Tiny Tim. I apologize for my Rainbow flag comment, Mr RickD
Yes, Tiny Tim deserves better. And it takes a man secure in his manhood to apologize about your rainbow flag comment. All is forgiven. Lassie come home.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
It's interesting you mention Howard Stern. I was not a big fan of his radio show, but he's earned my respect after watching him on America's Got Talent. He's a true professional there, IMO.
I liked Howard Stern's radio show when I was an atheist. I admired his integrity, his faithfulness to his employees and to his (former) wife, and his utter lack of hypocrisy.

Howard Stern is proof that someone bound for hell can have a lot of admirable qualities.

FL

+ + +

+ + +