Acts 10, "kill and eat"‏

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Acts 10, "kill and eat"‏

Post by RickD »

Christian2 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Peter lived like the Gentiles. Gentiles didn't have food laws that the Jews had. So, part of Peter's living like the Gentiles, was his eating like the Gentiles.
Eating with Gentiles does not mean Peter ate un-Kosher food with them. When Jesus fed the 4,000 the 4,000 included Gentiles. They ate bread and fish.

I don't believe Jesus would have eaten un-kosher food and I don't believe Peter or Paul did either.
So, when Peter and Jesus went to Gentile homes, they brought their Thermos and lunch boxes with them so they could eat their "kosher" foods?

Think about what you're saying. Peter would eat with Gentiles in their homes, all the while professing that they are no longer unclean. But, Peter would be a rude guest, by refusing the Gentile's food that they prepared for him in their home? By not eating their food because it would be unclean, Peter would have essentially been saying that the Gentiles were unclean for eating unclean food. You can't have it both ways. Either God told Peter in his vision that Gentiles were not unclean, or God meant something else.
I don't believe Jesus would have eaten un-kosher food and I don't believe Peter or Paul did either.
You say you don't believe that, but where does scripture say what you're saying?

You have to keep in mind that it's not just the food itself that's kosher. How the food is prepared, and even who prepares it, determines if it is kosher.

Peter was rebuked by Paul for his hypocrisy. Peter lived like the Gentiles not like the Jews. You must understand that by living like the Gentiles, Peter would not be following food cleanliness laws that were NOT given to the Gentiles.

Read Galatians 2. It's clear.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Christian2 wrote:How unkind of you to say the things you said to me. I will not return the insults.
My comments were for Christians who have adopted the allegorical/mystical method of biblical interpretation; my comments were also directed at those in the secular world who have been seduced by Eastern mysticism. Both groups have abandoned critical thinking and have replaced it with emotion, charisma and ecstatic ideals that depend on a guru or a secret key to understanding. Hogwash!

In the case in point, Acts 10:13, the context is clearly about food, food, and nothing else but food; the corollary information transmitted by this passage is that God is sovereign and can declare anything - and anyone - clean. To say that the word food in Acts 10:13 is a code for Gentiles is just silly.

So, Christian2, you are on the wrong path. Your error is confirmed by the fact that 1stjohn0666 agrees with you, as he is known to be a cultist. Heck! 1stjohn0666 even is on record as saying that the Koran is valid!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
So, Christian2, you are on the wrong path. Your error is confirmed by the fact that 1stjohn0666 agrees with you, as he is known to be a cultist. Heck! 1stjohn0666 even is on record as saying that the Koran is valid!
Actually FL, I think 1stjohn was disagreeing with Christian2. y#-o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1stjohn0666 wrote:If God had said all meat is clean, I believe God. For one to change what has been accustomed to them by tradition or law, it is quite a difficult process for change. Having been a former 7th day Adventist, I found it really weird not keeping the 7th day (Saturday) holy to God. After some time, it was no problem. My "Sabbath" is now in Christ
Well...you are right! It was PaulSacramento who agrees with Christian2. (Apologies to 1stjohn0666) (As for PaulSacramento, well, he's Canadian :shakehead: )

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +