Is Intelligent Design Pseudoscience?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Phoenix
Familiar Member

Is Intelligent Design Pseudoscience?

Post by Phoenix »

Atheist:

"creationism" and "Intelligent Design" are both pseudosciences (i.e. philosophy masquerading as science).

I don't understand why Agnostics and Atheists see Intelligent Design as pseudoscience.
jerickson314
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by jerickson314 »

Well, neither uses experimental techniques to test falsifiable conclusions. Therefore, it does not fit their definition of "science".

If you want to annoy them, start calling algebra "psuedoscience". It doesn't fit that definition, either.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

In order to deduce much from observations, Science incorporates the logical reasoning that Philosophy provides. Without Philosophy, Science would only observe but never draw conclusions. If drawing conclusions from observations is psuedo-science, then Science can tell us nothing about the world we live in.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I think such claims are loads of hypocrisy. Also a bucket of hypocrisy is the argument that "it's not falsifable, so it's not science..." well, as a certain person on this site made me conclude, it depends on what you'd take as proof. Look at the atom, for example...you can't pull out a scope and say, "hey, our models are right/wrong, I do/don't see electrons...but you don't hear "don't study atoms, it's pseudoscience!" Also, as one of the buggers in The Case for a Creator points out, ID is more scientific in regards to falsifability (spelling is great) because all you have to do is find one way that a system can be created by natural means (though there are many many systems you'd have to debunk)...but with evolution, you have to debunk a seamingly infinite supply of theories. On the left you have "destroy us with one piece of evidence" and on the other "destroy us with an infinite amount of evidence"
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous