5 Miracles Deleted From the Bible For Being Too Awesome

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
alex1
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

5 Miracles Deleted From the Bible For Being Too Awesome

Post by alex1 »

What do you guys think of this? My athiest friend has been posting it all over facebook.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20248_5- ... esome.html
Last edited by alex1 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: 5 Miracles Deleted From the Bible For Being Too Awesome

Post by PaulSacramento »

You know how it works, say something enough and enough people believe it.
That those "gospels" were from very early one, viewed as NOT having any legitimacy is quite clear by early writings.
Of course if people reading that did any research they would find that out, but people will believe what they want, regardless of historical facts.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Well, first of all, Cracked is a comedy website. They tend to take real-life things and blow them up to comical proportions. In other words, the formula is: Some truth + some exaggeration = funny. So while these things might have actually been written down in ancient texts found by archaeologists, Cracked.com probably is going a little overboard in order to make comedy out of it.
Topanga
Acquainted Member

Post by Topanga »

hey there Alex1

I didn't read all the stories on the web site but I read the first 1. About the bed bugs and fleas. First of all, I'll say this, yes I have read that story is one of the stories that was in 1 of the books that did not become canonized. In order to understand this, one needs to study canonization to begin. I will tell you where I read the story but I have to warn you, understanding canonization is not for the light hearted. I suggest you get a good foundation in reading the entire bible-with an open heart and mind, first. And if you are going to dive into the books I list here, and I am only giving them to tell you where you can find the flea story, I also suggest you have a strong christian support group who have studied canonization and will be able to answer the questions you may have after reading the books. The "lost scripture" flea story is discussed in one of Bart D Ehrman's books "Lost Christianities" or "Lost Scripture' - (books that did not make it into the Bible) , I can't remember which one, I read them both. Bart Ehrman is a scholar and in one of his forwards he explains how he became a Christian, and how he fell away from the faith. I have heard him interviewed before, I find him to be very intereting. The flea story is very funny, reading some of the stories of the lost scripture will blow your mind and are funny, I can understand why Cracked has them, it can also challenge your faith. Be careful. I can add more if you wish. I believe it's important that Christians understand this stuff, so they are prepared to discuss things in an informed manner with people like your atheist friend. But this understanding will not come over night. But we can't just sweep it under the rug either.