A spirit, my spirit, and spiritual things, what are they?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

A spirit, my spirit, and spiritual things, what are they?

Post by cubeus19 »

Hi guys this is something new I've been trying to zero in on as of late. And that is the biblical definition of a spirit and spiritual things. I mean, it's one of those "christianese" type words that I and most certainly you all have heard many believers say a lot and to me it looks as though they talk about it as if it's second nature to them but I don't know even if they even know what they are talking about, because no one that I've been around in mainstream or as I call it "lamestream" Christianity ever seems to want to define their terms. It's almost as if they love to use words like these to intentionally make things more ambiguous and confusing.

But in regarding this all I mainly want to know is what is a spirit and even more importantly, what are "spiritual things"? I specifically want to know what the "spiritual things" the Bible talks about are because I've read many verses that say we are to focus or focus more on these "spiritual things".

Well, if one has no idea what the Bible and other believers are talking about when they talk about "spiritual things" And if this is a very important area for a believer and if it's something really good and beneficial that I'm missing in not having spiritual yearnings for spiritual things, then I need to know what they are so I can start wanting them and understanding them more.

So if anyone knows what these things are and or what resources I can check out like web articles and such please let me know. Thanks so much guys!
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Re: A spirit, my spirit, and spiritual things, what are they

Post by zacchaeus »

I Corinth 2:13&14 I suppose? A lot of times it seems IMO a comparison of the spiritual man vs. the natural man or saved vs. lost (1 Cor 1:25-31). We the (Spiritual) judgedth all things (1 Cor 2:15). Wright from wrong, Godly unGodly... but our instruction comes from God, the HS, and through His WORD!!! God has revealed true wisdom to us by his Spirit. He makes known Divine mysteries to his church... this is spiritual!!! Revelation is a spiritual gift as in understanding which is why its important to study thyself approved... know Gods Word, learn, teach, edify. The natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God. Spiritual things are things such as love, righteousness, goodness, and many more virtues that are also characteristics of God. Spiritual things are supernatural and eternal. Spiritual things aren't confined to this world but also the spirit realm, this is also where we fight against powers and principalities. Spiritual things aren't always good and can simply be an understanding, Spiritual things like temptation, pride, sin, lust, greed and the devil to name a few. You may have heard in passing and I like to as well say we aren't a religion nor religious, but we are Spiritual and we are Spiritual beings. "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual." (1 Cor 2:13). Just read Corinthians along with a few commentaries. I pray that I've helped.
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Thank you, that helped some. So are spiritual things basically virtues or at least the good spiritual things where as the "bad" spiritual things are the opposite of virtues? Are there anything else referred to as spiritual things that can be extracted for the biblical texts? Thanks again.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

I may indeed catch some slack for my next comment... I want to say when looking through and from the lens of Christ almost all things are Spiritual, from that perspective, as Spiritual beings. Same as Christians that everything we do, see, touch, go, "should" be blessed. Does that make any more sense?
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Well it kinda does, but can you elaborate on it more please? Thanks.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

I'm not sure how to really elaborate any more in depth then to read Corinthians, and believe what the bible says are spiritual things. Truly everything is spiritual if getting down to the brass- other than that I'm not sure what else your asking. Peace, joy, love.
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Ok, I'll read Corinthians and see what I can find. If I have any more questions on what I find I'll let you know. Thanks again.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Also 1 Corinthians 3:1-23 may help.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." (John 14:26)

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I wish to add:

I think we can sense Spirit dwelling in us. We can see how it helps us in transforming to better persons, we can sense it is leading us certain (right) direction, it is opening the eyes of our hearts so that we can see what is in front of us.

#foreverinmyheart