History Channel's 'The Bible'

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: History Channel's 'The Bible'

Post by Dudeacus97 »

rodyshusband wrote:I happened to notice how they avoided the issue of homosexual rape in the Sodom episode.
Did they at least mention how they sacrificed their own children?
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
rodyshusband
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by rodyshusband »

Dudsacus97:

No child sacrifice was portrayed that I saw. Lots of fighting, prostitution...
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Rob »

I like the series so far overall.
I think their Jesus is too tame, though. He cries too much.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

He looks like a member of the BeeGees. They must have had some awesome hair care products in the 1st century.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

jlay wrote:He looks like a member of the BeeGees. They must have had some awesome hair care products in the 1st century.
He did have some pretty gorgeous hair. Maybe Mary's oil had something to do with it?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

He looks like a member of the BeeGees.

Even in just comparing "the look" of an actor playing Jesus - please don't compare him to the the musical equivalents of the anti-Christ!

Yes, Disco STILL sucks! :evil:
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

The BeeGees were awesome. Regardless of your opinion on disco, the brothers Gibb were incredible song writers.
Their songs have been recorded by many.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Yes, jlay, perhaps in their PRE-disco compositions, I would agree. But they literally sold their souls for the "Saturday Night Fever" (great love of fame and money) which apparently infected them. And now Barry is flirting with modern country music.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

From watching it I could point out little details that were missed like noah's children, lot not offering his daughters to the mob, the angels going Rambo on the sodomites; but overall I think they did a good job. They added some to fill space and took some out for reasons I don't know and don't agree with but the positive of it was seen by 95 million people, even if 1% of those that watched have renewed or new interest in god I'd say it's a job well done.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
ClassicalTeacher
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by ClassicalTeacher »

I gotta say, you guys are a hoot! I'm so glad you have great senses of humor! It always makes discussion groups more fun...

I didn't watch this series because I knew what it would entail. Some years ago, there was a special, updated version of "The 10 Commandments" starring Dougray Scott as Moses. It was laughable. Moses had a real attitude problem in this version. He just strumped around mad and angry and muttering to himself. It was ridiculous. After all, trying to replace Charlton Heston's Moses is an exercise in futility.

Anytime a main cable network or local/national network tries to do something "religious" it is always going to be seeped in political correctness. Eventually, I'm sure we will see new and improved biblical movies which condone homosexuality, feminism, and other such politically correct lies. One of the cable stations just recently did a re-vamp of "Ben Hur". I decided not to watch it when I saw the introduction into how the series was made and the producer and/or director made a point in saying that "Ben Hur" really has nothing to do with Christ. Obviously, these morons don't research what they proclaim because had they done so, they would have realized that General Lew Wallace wrote "Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ" specifically to honor the Lord because he had been an unbeliever and had finally found his Savior. For that reason, I didn't watch it. I get too upset with things like that and I'm too old to get that upset! y:">