Evolution and Morality

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ukranianlys
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Evolution and Morality

Post by Ukranianlys »

When I did some research on human anatomy, I found that the human structure is very similar to that of other animals, A few examples would be the Appendix's Uselessness in humanity, but its Functionality in other animals, The coccyx being remnants of a tail and even the foot structure, we are plantigrades and "plant" our feet on the ground, it would stand to reason that Toes would be rather useless as we do not need to grasp anything with them, However apes and Monkeys do. Even eyes, Bones and organs are universal throughout the Animal kingdom, I can see how one would think that they have a common ancestor, However I could just be getting somethings wrong, Im not a genius in the subject. That all being said my object was that It could be possible God simply made these universal for simplicity, but then again God is God, he doesn't need simplicity and Creating different Organs and other alternatives to what we have now is out of his reach so to speak. I wanted to ask for what you would bring to the table to object these feeble conflictions with creation, as I seem just to be not much of a deep thinker or I simply am not educated enough.

Question 2 would be On the subject of morality: On a popular picture, one that simply asked "what is the meaning of life" I had found many comments of Christians saying simply "God" for the answer, As you can imagine many people objected. I had simply stated that without God We lose all value and Meaning is reduced to nothing, Life doesn't really have a meaning if it is a cosmic accident, if you catch my drift. I was met with a flurry of objections Say things along the lines of "Well we can mope about it or we can try and benefit humanity and assist our fellow humans, Making the most of life and doing good so that when we finally do go, we can go with a smile on our face" Or something along those lines. I had immediately objected by saying that if morality is subjective that there is no justice or objective good, good would be only what you perceive it to be, so trying to do good for humanity would be like digging your own grave, Because you truly couldnt know what true good was as there was no way to find out as it would be different for everyone and the pure example (Like God ) would be absent and so it would be futile to waste your precious, limited life on other humans, why not be as selfish as possible Because in the end all the time and effort you put into helping others will be wasted away with the end of the accidental universe. I know this is just a simple argument and is no where near apologetical level, But how would you have responded to this Almost ironic atheistic opinion on the meaning of life?

Thanks for your time
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Evolution and Morality

Post by B. W. »

Ukranianlys wrote:When I did some research on human anatomy, I found that the human structure is very similar to that of other animals, A few examples would be the Appendix's Uselessness in humanity, but its Functionality in other animals, The coccyx being remnants of a tail and even the foot structure, we are plantigrades and "plant" our feet on the ground, it would stand to reason that Toes would be rather useless as we do not need to grasp anything with them, However apes and Monkeys do. Even eyes, Bones and organs are universal throughout the Animal kingdom, I can see how one would think that they have a common ancestor, However I could just be getting somethings wrong, Im not a genius in the subject. That all being said my object was that It could be possible God simply made these universal for simplicity, but then again God is God, he doesn't need simplicity and Creating different Organs and other alternatives to what we have now is out of his reach so to speak. I wanted to ask for what you would bring to the table to object these feeble conflictions with creation, as I seem just to be not much of a deep thinker or I simply am not educated enough.

Question 2 would be On the subject of morality: On a popular picture, one that simply asked "what is the meaning of life" I had found many comments of Christians saying simply "God" for the answer, As you can imagine many people objected. I had simply stated that without God We lose all value and Meaning is reduced to nothing, Life doesn't really have a meaning if it is a cosmic accident, if you catch my drift. I was met with a flurry of objections Say things along the lines of "Well we can mope about it or we can try and benefit humanity and assist our fellow humans, Making the most of life and doing good so that when we finally do go, we can go with a smile on our face" Or something along those lines. I had immediately objected by saying that if morality is subjective that there is no justice or objective good, good would be only what you perceive it to be, so trying to do good for humanity would be like digging your own grave, Because you truly couldnt know what true good was as there was no way to find out as it would be different for everyone and the pure example (Like God ) would be absent and so it would be futile to waste your precious, limited life on other humans, why not be as selfish as possible Because in the end all the time and effort you put into helping others will be wasted away with the end of the accidental universe. I know this is just a simple argument and is no where near apologetical level, But how would you have responded to this Almost ironic atheistic opinion on the meaning of life?

Thanks for your time
If there are no right or wrong answers then how could morality set forth by God be wrong? Or even concept of God be wrong?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys