True believers

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

True believers

Post by ultimate777 »

There is a book: X by Y, which few true believers can read. Of those few, few can sincerely try to understand it. Of those few, few can understand it. Of those few, few can refute it. Maybe the best thing for you to do is just take the easy way out and not even try. But maybe, just maybe, in ways I cannot articulate, if you don't take the easy way out you can accomplish many things worthwhile.

[note by moderator:
Poster did not share his own views on the non-Christian book, nor he quoted from the book. The thread is moreless only the discussion of the poster's attitude.

Names and links are being removed.]
Byblos
Old School

Re: True believers

Post by Byblos »

ultimate777 wrote:There is a book: X by Y, which few true believers can read. Of those few, few can sincerely try to understand it. Of those few, few can understand it. Of those few, few can refute it. Maybe the best thing for you to do is just take the easy way out and not even try. But maybe, just maybe, in ways I cannot articulate, if you don't take the easy way out you can accomplish many things worthwhile.
Have you read it?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

I googled homepage for that book. It says:
"--- erased ---"

Mmmm. So, the right answer is "I do not know"? Oh, I see on the website he promotes agnosticism.

The site says: "--- erased ---"

Agnosticism as most intelligent and most responsible? My opinion is this: :shakehead:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:I googled homepage for that book. It says:
"--- erased---"

Mmmm. So, the right answer is "I do not know"? Oh, I see on the website he promotes agnosticism.

Agnosticism as most intelligent and most responsible? My opinion is this: :shakehead:
So the most intelligent answer is the one that requires no thought process whatsoever? :shakehead: is spot on.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I was atheist, I was agnostic, now am Christian.

If Y knew God he would not claim such things. But this is of course.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Sure seems to know a lot for an ignoramus.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
SonofAletheia
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by SonofAletheia »

So the most intelligent answer is the one that requires no thought process whatsoever? :shakehead: is spot on.
Do you think agnosticism is never a legitimate position?

I would argue there are things that we should stay agnostic on. For example, say we have little to no evidence on some scientific idea. We should say 'we don't know and we hope one day we will' as apposed to just picking a side when there is no plausible reason to.

Would you agree?
I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect had intended for us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
What comes into our minds when we think about God, is the most important thing about us.
-A.W. Tozer
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

SonofAletheia wrote:
Do you think agnosticism is never a legitimate position?

I would argue there are things that we should stay agnostic on. For example, say we have little to no evidence on some scientific idea. We should say 'we don't know and we hope one day we will' as apposed to just picking a side when there is no plausible reason to.

Would you agree?
For Y, it may be true, but his claims are about all people and about things not just scientific.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

ultimate777 wrote:There is a book: X by Y, which few true believers can read. Of those few, few can sincerely try to understand it. Of those few, few can understand it. Of those few, few can refute it. Maybe the best thing for you to do is just take the easy way out and not even try. But maybe, just maybe, in ways I cannot articulate, if you don't take the easy way out you can accomplish many things worthwhile.
We can never speak for anyone but ourselves so I never TRY to use terms like "true" believers because ONLY God and Christ KNOW who is or isn't.
Even when I didn't believe I was never a fan of the agnostic position, it seemed a bit like a "cop-out" to me.
That said I know quite a few agnostics and they are such simply because they do NOT KNOW and feel their is not enough evidence to go either way.
I think the issue is what IS evidence? and what evidence IS acceptable to them.
I believe in God and Christ and I also have my moments of doubts, my moments of pain and in those moments I have come to understand that what I doubt is NOT God but MY UNDERSTANDING of God.
I think that is, IMO, THE crucial thing.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Byblos wrote:
Have you read it?
Yes.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

"--- erased ---"

That's a stroke of genius! Clearly you are a master of logic and rhetoric beyond compare. What more needs to be said? You have destroyed Y :clap:
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
We can never speak for anyone but ourselves so I never TRY to use terms like "true" believers because ONLY God and Christ KNOW who is or isn't.
Even when I didn't believe I was never a fan of the agnostic position, it seemed a bit like a "cop-out" to me.
That said I know quite a few agnostics and they are such simply because they do NOT KNOW and feel their is not enough evidence to go either way.
I believe in God and Christ and I also have my moments of doubts, my moments of pain and in those moments I have come to understand that what I doubt is NOT God but MY UNDERSTANDING of God.
A few minutes before the last Challenger launch I had a premonition it would explode upon liftoff, killing everone on board.
When it seemed to launch safely I was so relieved to be wrong I resolved to write a letter addressed to the whole crew
where I told them about my premonition and how relieved I was to be wrong. However I soon found out for all practical purposes I was right. I would be relieved to be wrong about the level of the criticism of Y would be here, but so far
I am not. The critics here have quite carefully stepped in his "trap". If you don't know what I mean I won't do your work for you. Read the book and hopefully you'll find out.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Ultimate777,

why are you promoting someone who claims he can prove Jesus is not the son of God? If someone is making a case for Agnosticism, he is making a case against God. why promote that?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

ultimate777 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
A few minutes before the last Challenger launch I had a premonition it would explode upon liftoff, killing everone on board.
When it seemed to launch safely I was so relieved to be wrong I resolved to write a letter addressed to the whole crew
where I told them about my premonition and how relieved I was to be wrong. However I soon found out for all practical purposes I was right. I would be relieved to be wrong about the level of the criticism of Y would be here, but so far
I am not. The critics here have quite carefully stepped in his "trap". If you don't know what I mean I won't do your work for you. Read the book and hopefully you'll find out.
Do you find that Y makes a case for agnosticism in a way that no one else does and if so, could you explain?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

ultimate777 wrote:
"--- erased ---"

That's a stroke of genius! Clearly you are a master of logic and rhetoric beyond compare. What more needs to be said? You have destroyed Y :clap:
I only expressed my opinion. Also, the word destroy is very unappropriate. I do not need to destroy people. I am not that kind of person.

#foreverinmyheart