The Law

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Law

Post by RickD »

RickD wrote:
:clap:
Congrats, Gman! You have just successfully attacked and killed an entire army of straw men that you created! Of everything jlay said, you changed it into something he wasn't even saying, then attacked what jlay never even said.

Gman wrote:
The only straw man that exists is in his free grace crapology.
Ok, add an ad hominem to your straw man. y#-o
Gman wrote:
Many times.. And he also believes that it is a curse, which I've tried to correct him numerous times. G-d's commandments SAVE us from His curse, but His commandments are not curses themselves.
Ok, Gman. I have to call you out on this one. Just give me one quote that jlay says the law is a curse.
Are you sure you don't mean jlay has said "the curse of the law"? That's certainly not saying the law itself is a curse.

Galatians 3:10-13:
10 For all who rely on works of the law are munder a curse; for it is written, n“Cursed be everyone who does not oabide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” 11 Now it is evident that pno one is justified before God by the law, for q“The righteous shall live by faith.”4 12 But the law is not of faith, rather r“The one who does them shall live by them.” 13 Christ sredeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, t“Cursed is everyone who is hanged uon a tree”— 14

Those who rely on the works of the law are under a curse. That is the curse of the law. Not the law itself. I don't believe jlay has ever said that the law itself is a curse. But, if you can show me a quote where he has said that, then I'll eat my words.
Gman wrote:
G-d's commandments SAVE us from His curse, but His commandments are not curses themselves.
Ok. This is interesting. In regards to what you said here, please tell me what "His curse" is, and how God's commandments save us from it. See how I'm not assuming what you are saying here? Just reading what you said, my first thought was that you meant if we follow God's commandments, we will be saved from the wages of sin. But, I'd rather you explain what you meant, so I won't wrongly assume, and call your beliefs "crapology".
See how much nicer that is? :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: Ok, add an ad hominem to your straw man. y#-o
Not him himself.. His theology amigo.. ;)
Ok, Gman. I have to call you out on this one. Just give me one quote that jlay says the law is a curse.
Are you sure you don't mean jlay has said "the curse of the law"? That's certainly not saying the law itself is a curse.
Those who rely on the works of the law are under a curse. That is the curse of the law. Not the law itself. I don't believe jlay has ever said that the law itself is a curse. But, if you can show me a quote where he has said that, then I'll eat my words.
Right here.. http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... se#p133067

He CLEARLY states that G-d's laws brought curses and made us slaves or was imperfect...

"The Law was given as a gaurdian, a schoolmaster. It brought death, a curse (Galatians 3:13), condmenation (2 Cor. 3:9), makes slaves (Galatians 4: 24-25), was added because of transgressions (Gal. 3:19), and was imperfect (Hebrews 8:6-13).
That was abolished. (Eph 2:14-16)"

He is trying to promote this wacky idea that G-d's laws are curses or that they are legalism. Meaning that everytime we see a commandment from G-d it AUTOMATICALLY equates to legalism or brings curses, enslavement, etc... This gross perversion of scripture is cancerous to the believer and should be stopped.
Ok. This is interesting. In regards to what you said here, please tell me what "His curse" is, and how God's commandments save us from it. See how I'm not assuming what you are saying here? Just reading what you said, my first thought was that you meant if we follow God's commandments, we will be saved from the wages of sin. But, I'd rather you explain what you meant, so I won't wrongly assume, and call your beliefs "crapology".
See how much nicer that is? :D
Sure.. Anytime we transgress G-d laws they bring forth death as Romans 6:23 clearly states. But the commandments themselves don't bring themselves curses, enslavement, etc.. That is just preposterous thinking.. That G-d is going to give His people enslaving curses in the form of commandments??? That is just nutty to the highest degree of stupidity to think that. :roll:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
He CLEARLY states that G-d's laws brought curses and made us slaves or was imperfect...

"The Law was given as a gaurdian, a schoolmaster. It brought death, a curse (Galatians 3:13), condmenation (2 Cor. 3:9), makes slaves (Galatians 4: 24-25), was added because of transgressions (Gal. 3:19), and was imperfect (Hebrews 8:6-13).
That was abolished. (Eph 2:14-16)"
Yes you are correct.
Gman wrote:
He is trying to promote this wacky idea that G-d's laws are curses or that they are legalism.
No he's not. AGAIN, he didn't say that God's law or laws are curses. You are misreading what he said. He also didn't say that the laws are legalism. Legalism is trying to be justified or gain approval of God, by following the law. Legalism is dependance upon following the law instead of following the One who fulfilled the law.
Gman wrote:
G-d's commandments SAVE us from His curse, but His commandments are not curses themselves.

RickD wrote:
Ok. This is interesting. In regards to what you said here, please tell me what "His curse" is, and how God's commandments save us from it
Gman wrote:
Sure.. Anytime we transgress G-d laws they bring forth death as Romans 6:23 clearly states.
G, you're losing me again. So if we as believers "transgress God's laws"(ie, we sin), then our transgressions bring forth death again? Are you saying each time we sin, we have to be saved again?

G, it's simple. Scripture says in Romans 6:23:
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So scripture says the free gift is eternal life in Christ Jesus. The bible doesn't say eternal life is in following G-d's commandments. So how do you mean God's commandments save us from death?

And another thing, if you believe Jesus is God, why don't you write "J-s-s"? God is not God's name, so writing G-d, makes no sense. But, if you're going to go at it that way, can't you show some respect for your Lord, and write "J-s-s"? y>:D<
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: No he's not. AGAIN, he didn't say that God's law or laws are curses. You are misreading what he said. He also didn't say that the laws are legalism. Legalism is trying to be justified or gain approval of God, by following the law. Legalism is dependance upon following the law instead of following the One who fulfilled the law.
But look... If you read what he said, he said that they brought forth curses, enslavement, condemnation, was imperfect etc.. and then was abolished... Then what would you think they were according to his logic? Good or good to follow?? y:-?
G, you're losing me again. So if we as believers "transgress God's laws"(ie, we sin), then our transgressions bring forth death again? Are you saying each time we sin, we have to be saved again?

G, it's simple. Scripture says in Romans 6:23:
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So scripture says the free gift is eternal life in Christ Jesus. The bible doesn't say eternal life is in following G-d's commandments. So how do you mean God's commandments save us from death?
No, I think you misunderstand me.. We are saved when when accept Christ, but we still follow His commandments as EVIDENCE of our faith. Not to attain righteousness but to be sanctified and be set apart from the world. We are in the world but we are not of this world either. We need to be separate.
And another thing, if you believe Jesus is God, why don't you write "J-s-s"? God is not God's name, so writing G-d, makes no sense. But, if you're going to go at it that way, can't you show some respect for your Lord, and write "J-s-s"? y>:D<
Ok.. You got me on that one... Ok, it's J-sus.. Ok? :amen:

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
But look... If you read what he said, he said that they brought forth curses, enslavement, condemnation, was imperfect etc.. and then was abolished... Then what would you think they were according to his logic? Good or good to follow??
G, if the Old Covenant(the Law) was perfect, then why did Christ have to come? The law has served its purpose. It showed that all are lawbreakers, and all need Christ. The Law pointed forward to Christ.
Gman wrote:
No, I think you misunderstand me.. We are saved when when accept Christ, but we still follow His commandments as EVIDENCE of our faith. Not to attain righteousness but to be sanctified and be set apart from the world. We are in the world but we are not of this world either. We need to be separate.
Ok G. You had me then you lost me again. We follow His laws to be sanctified? Are you saying we as believers are not set apart from the world because of Who is in us, but because of our following the Law? G, we are separate because of our faith in who Christ is and what He did. Not because of how we follow God's laws.
And another thing, if you believe Jesus is God, why don't you write "J-s-s"? God is not God's name, so writing G-d, makes no sense. But, if you're going to go at it that way, can't you show some respect for your Lord, and write "J-s-s"?

Gman wrote:
Ok.. You got me on that one... Ok, it's J-sus.. Ok?
So from now on, it's either J-s-s and G-d. Or Jesus and God. No more halfass piety. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: G, if the Old Covenant(the Law) was perfect, then why did Christ have to come? The law has served its purpose. It showed that all are lawbreakers, and all need Christ. The Law pointed forward to Christ.
Let's look at a few scriptures for examples and see what it says..

James 1:25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Psalm 19:7-11 The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8 The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 9 The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of them are righteous. 10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb. 11 By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

So as we can see there is nothing intrinsically wrong with G-d's commandments. They are most certainly not imperfect. So why did Christ come? Many reasons, to take on the sins of the world 1 Tim 1:15, to give the abundant life John 10:10, etc.. But let's see what He says about His laws...

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

So the logic still stands.. He didn't come to abolish His laws. He came to fulfill. Therefore His laws and commandments still stand for our instruction as 2 Tim 3:16 clearly states that ALL SCRIPTURE is useful for.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
RickD wrote:Ok G. You had me then you lost me again. We follow His laws to be sanctified? Are you saying we as believers are not set apart from the world because of Who is in us, but because of our following the Law? G, we are separate because of our faith in who Christ is and what He did. Not because of how we follow God's laws.
No... Just the opposite. We follow His commandments because we ARE SANCTIFIED. We follow the sanctification process written in the Bible as EVIDENCE of our faith. In other word's He says to follow, and in faith we follow because we believe Him. Not to merit salvation, because we ARE saved... Which is why he says in Romans 2:13..

Romans 2:13, “for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified.”
So from now on, it's either J-s-s and G-d. Or Jesus and God. No more halfass piety. :pound:
Like I said.. You got me amigo. y>:D<

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Remember guys.. That California is always the trendsetter for the rest of the nation. It always starts here.. Later you guys will figure it out.. :lol:

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman, I'm just going to focus on this verse that you posted, because I think you're misreading it.
James 1:25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
G, the perfect law is the Gospel. Not any OT laws. If the OT laws were "perfect", there would have been no need for Christ to come.
Gman wrote:
Remember guys.. That California is always the trendsetter for the rest of the nation. It always starts here.. Later you guys will figure it out..
Is that what California is known for? I always thought California was known for liberalism, bankruptcy, debauchery, earthquakes, corruption... :wave:

-Edward R Murrow

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Gman said: Because of identity? Is not Jesus G-d?? Jesus GAVE US ALL THE LAWS whether they are in the OT or NT.... Grace does not mean that we destroy G-d's laws

God also gave man the Garden. If the Laws were the way of love and perfection, then where were they in the Garden? The Law is part of God redeeming man and moving him back to that reality. The Law is not that reality. We now have that reality in Christ. Even though we are still viewing it through these dead bodies. But it is no less a reality. We are made to sit in heavenly places. That is a reality NOW.
So what is Christ's law in Christ? Answer... Just love, love, love... Make up your own rules. You have no foundation outside of G-d's commandments. And any you do have is just picking and choosing and denying the rest... So you do have a form of it, but it is deceiving also.
make up your own rules? Again, strawman. And your post lacks love.
Completely wrong... G-d's laws are not rubbish old rags.. Rather we are old rags, but not His teaching or commandments.

All of God's word is written for our benefit. But not all of it is addressed or applies directly to you. Where did I say it was rubbish? Straw man.
Galatians 3:23 in no way negates G-d's laws. Sure, some can use G-d's laws to promote legalism unto salvation, but that is NOT it's purpose. It's purpose it to promote unity among the believers, not righteousness..

You consistently use terms that I am not. I am using biblical terms, and you are setting up straw men using words that appear to work to your advantage. I agree it doesn't negate the Law. It competely changes our relationship to it.
Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
The entirety of Romans is clear despite the semantically differences here. We are dead to the Law. As Hebrews says, it is obsolete.
And if you look at the greek word for "end" it means "Telos" which is the same word we get for telescope or "aim." Therefore Christ is the AIM of the law.. Not end. Holy cow... :doh:
I have no problem with that usage. You can examine the word and its usage and see that translating it ‘end’ is also a consistent translation.
There are no separate new covenants of the gentiles.. That is simply an illusion...
That is not even the topic here. But, Jesus said in His earthly ministry, "Go NOT the way of the Gentiles." Now, you keep quoting instructions from Jesus to Israel as if they are to you. Why not that command? Did something change after the cross regarding the Gentiles? Was there a new revelation that caused the Gentile exclusion to be made OBSOLETE? But first let's just make sure. What did Paul say about the Gentile prior to the cross? "That at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world." (Eph. 2:12) Your approach is to take whatever Christ said, ignore audience and context and then apply it as you see fit. Of course, if we follow that same method then this verse essentially destroys the entire ministry of Paul. As I've shown, your hermeneutic cannot be consistently followed. It is self-defeating. What we can see is that the covenant, which was in the Law excluded the Gentiles. That was the Law. "Here ye O' Israel!"
No way... Are you still in the flesh? Then G-d's laws are still in effect until we get into heaven.
No, and neither is anyone who has trusted Christ. Listen carefully to what this says. "But you (the believer) are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8:9)
Do you have the Spirit? So, I ask you, are you still in the flesh?
The Bible says that when we trust Christ we are dead to sin. We are saints. (which is the exact same word for Holy) What you have just stated is that you do not trust that reality of this identity for yourself, or for any believer. That is the heart of legalism. Now bear in mind that I'm not saying you aren't saved. What I'm saying is that you now don't trust who you are In Christ. You trust the old man, who Paul says is DEAD. There is still some performance standard you see, outside of yourself (The OT law) that you must live up to. In your case you claim on one end that you don’t think it saves you. You just think that it is evidence that you are saved. Which is really just slipping it in the back door. And thus it is no surprise to me why you would say a believer is still "in the flesh."

Paul says that the Law arouses the sinful desires. Where are the sinful desires? In the flesh. Romans 7:5
So, how would following something that arouses the sinful desires be the way to walk in the spirit. That creates a problem.
“And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. "Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.” (Rom. 8:11,12,13)
So what is our source of Godly living? The spirit which is 100% in us. The sinful nature, which is aroused by the Law can be put to death, but this is done by the Spirit. That is by trusting who we were made In Christ. Paul is teaching this for the same reason. The Romans didn’t believe it. Like us, they see their behavior and thoughts in light of the Law, and thus do not believe that they are righteous and Holy. They judge themselves by their behavior. The inclination is to try and do better. But that too is birthed in the flesh, which is death. But Paul points the believer to the source of life. A source that is ALREADY within them.
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. (Rom. 8:15)
I'm amazed at how many people just see Jesus as some super person who did a great job following the written law. But that was not the source of His perfection. After all Jesus violated the written code of the Sabbath. Of course He was without sin, because He was always in the will of the Father. Jesus said, "I and the Father are one." Jesus was living out of the sourcing of God, not merely living up to a standard.
Paul then instructs us, "Let this mind that is in Christ be in you." (Phil 2:5) That is obedience. An obedience to trust who we are in Christ. You conflate any statement of 'obedience' or 'command' to the Law, which is no wonder you mock Free Gracers and sound like a Pharisee.
Why go back to G-d's laws?? Because that is commanded by Jesus Himself. To promote unity, love, and identity. They are not evil...
Do you mean the unity and love of calling Free Gracers crapology?
That is a wrong hermeneutic. It doesn't consider audience, time, or conditions. (the fact that it occurred pre-cross.) As you know, we are incapable of love had not God first loved us. You really think the way to love is by following the law? So what does RELEASED from the law mean? Following the law is not a measure of how one is loving God.
No.. You are missing the point of Paul's message. Now jump down to verse 7. We never destroy G-d's law.
The point of Paul's message? Where did I say destroyed? God's law in the OT, as well as the moral reality written on the conscience. What Paul says in Romans 7:7 has to be read in light of what else was quoted prior, which of course I had already done. That in Christ, you have DIED to the Law. (Romans 7:6) It says that the Law helps us to see our need of saving. How is that a command to follow the Law? It isn't. Proof texting is fine as long as the quote is used in a way that is consistent with the context.
There is no truth if you choose to separate from G-d's commandments.

God has fulfilled that program and has revealed a better way. If you choose to live in the old then so be it.
We will never be able to fulfill G-d's commandments outside of the Holy Spirit or Christ's messages.
Christ already fulfilled the Law. Walking in the HS is not about just doing a better job keeping the Law. The believer has an entire new relationship with God “In Christ.”
Again if you think that laws are so bad, why don't you remove all the millions of laws that make up the United States? Even more than the commandments of G-d.. Do you propose we live in chaos? :shakehead:
I'm not sure what that means? Living in Chaos is a result of people either breaking the civil laws, or everyone being a law unto themselves. In regards to Christian living, I am proposing neither. It's a strawman. This thinking is a refusal to see that there is a reality that transcends legal living. What do you think it's like in Heaven. Just good rule following? No.
cheezerrox wrote:That was a very long post, and it looks like this one will be too. Apologies to anyone who reads the whole thing. I would disagree about Paul not instructing believers to follow the Torah, but regardless, that's just an argument from silence. Obviously you won't find him saying, "Brethren, follow the Law." You won't find statements like that in the Talmud either. To the 1st Century Jewish mind, there was literally no other way to follow G-d. The Torah is assumed; good works, commandments, all those things are assumed to be derived from Torah. There were only disagreements on HOW to follow the Torah. Now, one might say that this wasn't just some new sect of 1st Century Judaism, but a new way inaugurated by G-d. But you'll never find Yeshua or any of the apostles (including Paul) making any claim to be breaking away from Judaism in any way; they only parted with those who chose to accept the authority of men and rabbis as opposed to the Mashiach of Israel.
Again, breaking away from Judaism isn’t my claim. Gentiles were never Jews to begin with.
In Romans 1:32 Paul condemns those who reject G-d and give away their bodies for degrading passions, specifically in homosexuality, and uses the Torah as the basis for this judgement. The verse says,

"and although they know the ordinance of G-d, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them."

Where are the "ordinance(s) of G-d" found? Where is there found the death penalty for homosexual intercourse? In the Torah.
What are you advocating here? The death penalty for gays?
Oh wait, we don’t have to stone gays today because there is no priesthood. So, when the priesthood reforms, we can go back to stoning the heathen. Of course I’m being facetious, but this really does speak the issue. The Law is the Law. It’s penalties are harsh. The simple truth is that God has fulfilled that dispensation.
To stick with Romans, note also verses 13:8-10.
In the context of this chapter, this is certainly not a command to follow the Torah. It is a very practical reality of love. You see, what you are stating is actually backwards. What you guys are really saying is that your ability to keep the law produces love. Paul is saying the exact opposite. That love fulfills the Law. What was shadowed in the Law, you rightly point out. Don’t murder, don’t steal, etc. Of course. But you are flipping the entire message on its head to advocate a legal code that is no longer in effect.
Anyone can keep the law without love. However, when one knows the love of God, then they in turn will naturally fulfill those things. They won’t covet, or steal, or murder. Why? Love does no wrong to a neighbor. How you can see this as a promotion of the law is beyond me. It’s a promotion of something better. Let's not forget that we simply aren't talking about doing right versus wrong, which is what those commands deal with. You are advocating something much more. You are speaking of THE TORAH. Paul references the very real moral truths listed in the Law, and then it is conflated to an endorsement of keeping the Torah. Have you guys got some desire to stone people? :pound:
Right here Paul instructs believers to obey the Torah and its commandments.
Not even close.
Paul is enlightening the believer to the redeemed life that they have IN CHRIST.
Also, let's not forget Romans 7, which says in verse 7 that Paul knows what sin is only through the Torah, and in verse 12 says that the Torah is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.
In light of Romans 1, where Paul has already stated that even lawless Gentiles know right from wrong.
Then, there's verse 14. This is a kicker for those who believe that there's one way of the Law, and then the way of the spirit/faith. Paul says that the Law is spiritual, as in of the spirit! They are not opposed, but go together.
Of course. It shows that we are wholy incapable of keeping the Law. "I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death." (Romans 7:10) That is a good thing. Again, not an instruction to keep the Law.
On to verse 16, Paul affirms that he agrees with the Torah, confessing that the Torah is good. Verse 22 says that he joyfully concurs with the Torah of G-d in the inner man, and verse 25 again reaffirms that Paul wanted to serve the Torah of G-d, although in his flesh he continued to struggle with sin and disobedience.
The Torah is good. Let's pleae stop implying otherwise.
Of course Paul says, "For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."
Paul is building a case. He is building towards chapter 8, where he speaks of walking in the Spirit. It seems that you think any reference to the Law is an endorsement to continue in it.
As far as your argument that without a Temple and a priesthood there's no relevance in the Torah right now, what do you think of the Babylonian exile? Was obedience to Torah obligatory when Israel was exiled from the Land (and the Temple) and couldn't perform the sacrificial ministry?
[/quote]
It is an interesting question, but it is not related. Was God still working in the prophetic then? Of course. Israel has not been in exile for the past 2,000 years. Under the exile Israel was being chastened, and prophecy fulfilled.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote: God also gave man the Garden. If the Laws were the way of love and perfection, then where were they in the Garden? The Law is part of God redeeming man and moving him back to that reality. The Law is not that reality. We now have that reality in Christ. Even though we are still viewing it through these dead bodies. But it is no less a reality. We are made to sit in heavenly places. That is a reality NOW.
So you are sitting in heaven now? Really? If true show me your wings... ;) Like I said in my previous message, according to G-d's word, the law is perfect and flawless and THE REALITY. Sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb....

Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Psalm 19:7-11 The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8 The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 9 The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of them are righteous. 10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb. 11 By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
jlay wrote:make up your own rules? Again, strawman. And your post lacks love.
And your posts lack reality. Based on virtual dream worlds of lost promises.
jlay wrote:All of God's word is written for our benefit. But not all of it is addressed or applies directly to you. Where did I say it was rubbish? Straw man.
Again 2 Tim 3:16 clearly states that ALL SCRIPTURE is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. Not some... Not a portion.. ALL of it. You clearly said before that the law was imperfect and an enslavement. Read it yourself.. This is a clear violation of scripture.
jlay wrote:You consistently use terms that I am not. I am using biblical terms, and you are setting up straw men using words that appear to work to your advantage. I agree it doesn't negate the Law. It competely changes our relationship to it.
No.. You are stating that J-sus's laws are done away with. This is completely false... Your theology is the straw man.
jlay wrote:The entirety of Romans is clear despite the semantically differences here. We are dead to the Law. As Hebrews says, it is obsolete.
There you go again... No. You are wrong. G-d's laws are not obsolete. What does Paul say again?? He says we ESTABLISH the law.

Romans 3:31, “Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.”
jlay wrote:I have no problem with that usage. You can examine the word and its usage and see that translating it ‘end’ is also a consistent translation.
No it is not... End is not the correct translation meaning "finished" as you would put it.
jlay wrote:That is not even the topic here. But, Jesus said in His earthly ministry, "Go NOT the way of the Gentiles." Now, you keep quoting instructions from Jesus to Israel as if they are to you. Why not that command? Did something change after the cross regarding the Gentiles? Was there a new revelation that caused the Gentile exclusion to be made OBSOLETE? But first let's just make sure. What did Paul say about the Gentile prior to the cross? "That at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world." (Eph. 2:12) Your approach is to take whatever Christ said, ignore audience and context and then apply it as you see fit. Of course, if we follow that same method then this verse essentially destroys the entire ministry of Paul. As I've shown, your hermeneutic cannot be consistently followed. It is self-defeating. What we can see is that the covenant, which was in the Law excluded the Gentiles. That was the Law. "Here ye O' Israel!"
Unfortunately your claims again are false. There never has been a separate covenant of the gentiles.. If so prove it. There has always been Israel, and we ALWAYS graft into the covenants made to Israel. Not some mystical dream world that you would have us believe. G-d gave land grants and the title to Israel through Jacob that has never been revoked (Genesis 15:18-21; 17:7-8; 18; 28:13-15, 1 Chronicles 16:15-18, Psalm 105:9-11, Jeremiah 31:35-37). G-d's gift and call on Israel have not been revoked (Romans 11:1-2; 28-29). The covenant with Abraham has not been replaced by the New Covenant. The eternal covenant G-d made with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and their descendants has NOT been set aside (Romans 9:4, Galatians 3:15-17).
jlay wrote:No, and neither is anyone who has trusted Christ. Listen carefully to what this says. "But you (the believer) are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8:9)
Do you have the Spirit? So, I ask you, are you still in the flesh?
You are completely missing the point of Romans 8:9. Last time I checked, I was still in the flesh.. Are you claiming that you are not in the flesh? If so prove it..
jlay wrote:The Bible says that when we trust Christ we are dead to sin. We are saints. (which is the exact same word for Holy) What you have just stated is that you do not trust that reality of this identity for yourself, or for any believer. That is the heart of legalism. Now bear in mind that I'm not saying you aren't saved. What I'm saying is that you now don't trust who you are In Christ. You trust the old man, who Paul says is DEAD. There is still some performance standard you see, outside of yourself (The OT law) that you must live up to. In your case you claim on one end that you don’t think it saves you. You just think that it is evidence that you are saved. Which is really just slipping it in the back door. And thus it is no surprise to me why you would say a believer is still "in the flesh."
Again... We follow Christ's laws because we are in Christ. That is why we follow it. It is the evidence of faith, not the work of faith.. If you think that your sin life is dead, and that you are NOT in the flesh, then why did Paul give us these commandments?

2 Corinthians 13:5-6, “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you —unless, of course, you fail the test? 6 And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test.

Galatians 6:3-5 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load.

Ephesians 4:31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.

Ephesians 5:5-6, “For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.”

Colossians 3:5-8 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.

jlay wrote:Paul says that the Law arouses the sinful desires. Where are the sinful desires? In the flesh. Romans 7:5
So, how would following something that arouses the sinful desires be the way to walk in the spirit. That creates a problem.
“And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. "Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.” (Rom. 8:11,12,13)
So what is our source of Godly living? The spirit which is 100% in us. The sinful nature, which is aroused by the Law can be put to death, but this is done by the Spirit. That is by trusting who we were made In Christ. Paul is teaching this for the same reason. The Romans didn’t believe it. Like us, they see their behavior and thoughts in light of the Law, and thus do not believe that they are righteous and Holy. They judge themselves by their behavior. The inclination is to try and do better. But that too is birthed in the flesh, which is death. But Paul points the believer to the source of life. A source that is ALREADY within them.
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. (Rom. 8:15)
I'm amazed at how many people just see Jesus as some super person who did a great job following the written law. But that was not the source of His perfection. After all Jesus violated the written code of the Sabbath. Of course He was without sin, because He was always in the will of the Father. Jesus said, "I and the Father are one." Jesus was living out of the sourcing of God, not merely living up to a standard.
Again.. You have nothing that says that G-d's laws now are obsolete for the believer.. Nothing. You have no clue what you talking about because you never could understand that G-d's laws from Genesis to Revelation are love... Therefore you are attacking G-d's love. Not me..
jlay wrote:Do you mean the unity and love of calling Free Gracers crapology?
Because according to this evil theology G-d's beautiful laws are now done away with. Therefore you have nothing to base love on but your own mystical-faith law. It is devoid of any of G-d's commandments but your own invention. In other words, you are deceiving people.
jlay wrote:That is a wrong hermeneutic. It doesn't consider audience, time, or conditions. (the fact that it occurred pre-cross.) As you know, we are incapable of love had not God first loved us. You really think the way to love is by following the law? So what does RELEASED from the law mean? Following the law is not a measure of how one is loving God.
Again.. You have no clue what the law means.. It is a foreign thing to you.
jlay wrote:The point of Paul's message? Where did I say destroyed? God's law in the OT, as well as the moral reality written on the conscience. What Paul says in Romans 7:7 has to be read in light of what else was quoted prior, which of course I had already done. That in Christ, you have DIED to the Law. (Romans 7:6) It says that the Law helps us to see our need of saving. How is that a command to follow the Law? It isn't. Proof texting is fine as long as the quote is used in a way that is consistent with the context.

No we have been released form an aspect of legalism, guilt feelings, and curses of the law, but not the law itself.. Again read the scriptures again that follow it.

Romans 7:7, What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."

Romans 7:12, “Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.”

Romans 7:25 Thanks be to God! — through Yeshua the Messiah, our Lord! To sum up: with my mind, I am a slave of God’s Torah; but with my old nature, I am a slave of sin’s “Torah.”
jlay wrote:God has fulfilled that program and has revealed a better way. If you choose to live in the old then so be it.
Ok, so if the laws have been done away with, then according to you it is ok to steal, murder, bear false witness, be a homosexual, and the likes?? Again, your hermeneutic lacks logic...
jlay wrote:Christ already fulfilled the Law. Walking in the HS is not about just doing a better job keeping the Law. The believer has an entire new relationship with God “In Christ.”
No.. Christ GAVE US THE LAWS. Read James 4:12. That is why we follow them and this is why He stated that we should follow them..

John 14:15 “If you love me, you will keep my commands;

John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me, and the one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.”
jlay wrote:I'm not sure what that means? Living in Chaos is a result of people either breaking the civil laws, or everyone being a law unto themselves. In regards to Christian living, I am proposing neither. It's a strawman. This thinking is a refusal to see that there is a reality that transcends legal living. What do you think it's like in Heaven. Just good rule following? No.
No... Look what you wrote again... "We are dead to the Law. As Hebrews says, it is obsolete." G-d's laws are NOT obsolete and His covenants are still valid... They are perfect love messages to us as the Bible clearly states.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

How the law is a love message is beyond me.

G, you are not digesting what is being passed to you. You have not covered what J said. He went to a great deal to show his point. You are jumping back in denial.

You quoted:
Yes that reward is spelled out in Deuteronomy 28
If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God:

3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.

4 The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.

5 Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed.

6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.

7 The Lord will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven.

8 The Lord will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The Lord your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.

9 The Lord will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the Lord your God and walk in obedience to him. 10 Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they will fear you. 11 The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you.

12 The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. 13 The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom. 14 Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.
And immediately after is the reward for not keeping the law.
However, if you do not obey the Lord your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come on you and overtake you:

16 You will be cursed in the city and cursed in the country.

17 Your basket and your kneading trough will be cursed.

18 The fruit of your womb will be cursed, and the crops of your land, and the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.

19 You will be cursed when you come in and cursed when you go out.

20 The Lord will send on you curses, confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to, until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done in forsaking him.[a] 21 The Lord will plague you with diseases until he has destroyed you from the land you are entering to possess. 22 The Lord will strike you with wasting disease, with fever and inflammation, with scorching heat and drought, with blight and mildew, which will plague you until you perish. 23 The sky over your head will be bronze, the ground beneath you iron. 24 The Lord will turn the rain of your country into dust and powder; it will come down from the skies until you are destroyed.

25 The Lord will cause you to be defeated before your enemies. You will come at them from one direction but flee from them in seven, and you will become a thing of horror to all the kingdoms on earth. 26 Your carcasses will be food for all the birds and the wild animals, and there will be no one to frighten them away. 27 The Lord will afflict you with the boils of Egypt and with tumors, festering sores and the itch, from which you cannot be cured. 28 The Lord will afflict you with madness, blindness and confusion of mind. 29 At midday you will grope about like a blind person in the dark. You will be unsuccessful in everything you do; day after day you will be oppressed and robbed, with no one to rescue you.

30 You will be pledged to be married to a woman, but another will take her and rape her. You will build a house, but you will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will not even begin to enjoy its fruit. 31 Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will eat none of it. Your donkey will be forcibly taken from you and will not be returned. Your sheep will be given to your enemies, and no one will rescue them. 32 Your sons and daughters will be given to another nation, and you will wear out your eyes watching for them day after day, powerless to lift a hand. 33 A people that you do not know will eat what your land and labor produce, and you will have nothing but cruel oppression all your days. 34 The sights you see will drive you mad. 35 The Lord will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head.

36 The Lord will drive you and the king you set over you to a nation unknown to you or your ancestors. There you will worship other gods, gods of wood and stone. 37 You will become a thing of horror, a byword and an object of ridicule among all the peoples where the Lord will drive you.

38 You will sow much seed in the field but you will harvest little, because locusts will devour it. 39 You will plant vineyards and cultivate them but you will not drink the wine or gather the grapes, because worms will eat them. 40 You will have olive trees throughout your country but you will not use the oil, because the olives will drop off. 41 You will have sons and daughters but you will not keep them, because they will go into captivity. 42 Swarms of locusts will take over all your trees and the crops of your land.

43 The foreigners who reside among you will rise above you higher and higher, but you will sink lower and lower. 44 They will lend to you, but you will not lend to them. They will be the head, but you will be the tail.

45 All these curses will come on you. They will pursue you and overtake you until you are destroyed, because you did not obey the Lord your God and observe the commands and decrees he gave you. 46 They will be a sign and a wonder to you and your descendants forever. 47 Because you did not serve the Lord your God joyfully and gladly in the time of prosperity, 48 therefore in hunger and thirst, in nakedness and dire poverty, you will serve the enemies the Lord sends against you. He will put an iron yoke on your neck until he has destroyed you.

49 The Lord will bring a nation against you from far away, from the ends of the earth, like an eagle swooping down, a nation whose language you will not understand, 50 a fierce-looking nation without respect for the old or pity for the young. 51 They will devour the young of your livestock and the crops of your land until you are destroyed. They will leave you no grain, new wine or olive oil, nor any calves of your herds or lambs of your flocks until you are ruined. 52 They will lay siege to all the cities throughout your land until the high fortified walls in which you trust fall down. They will besiege all the cities throughout the land the Lord your God is giving you.

53 Because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege, you will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you. 54 Even the most gentle and sensitive man among you will have no compassion on his own brother or the wife he loves or his surviving children, 55 and he will not give to one of them any of the flesh of his children that he is eating. It will be all he has left because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege of all your cities. 56 The most gentle and sensitive woman among you—so sensitive and gentle that she would not venture to touch the ground with the sole of her foot—will begrudge the husband she loves and her own son or daughter 57 the afterbirth from her womb and the children she bears. For in her dire need she intends to eat them secretly because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege of your cities.

58 If you do not carefully follow all the words of this law, which are written in this book, and do not revere this glorious and awesome name—the Lord your God— 59 the Lord will send fearful plagues on you and your descendants, harsh and prolonged disasters, and severe and lingering illnesses. 60 He will bring on you all the diseases of Egypt that you dreaded, and they will cling to you. 61 The Lord will also bring on you every kind of sickness and disaster not recorded in this Book of the Law, until you are destroyed. 62 You who were as numerous as the stars in the sky will be left but few in number, because you did not obey the Lord your God. 63 Just as it pleased the Lord to make you prosper and increase in number, so it will please him to ruin and destroy you. You will be uprooted from the land you are entering to possess.

64 Then the Lord will scatter you among all nations, from one end of the earth to the other. There you will worship other gods—gods of wood and stone, which neither you nor your ancestors have known. 65 Among those nations you will find no repose, no resting place for the sole of your foot. There the Lord will give you an anxious mind, eyes weary with longing, and a despairing heart. 66 You will live in constant suspense, filled with dread both night and day, never sure of your life. 67 In the morning you will say, “If only it were evening!” and in the evening, “If only it were morning!”—because of the terror that will fill your hearts and the sights that your eyes will see. 68 The Lord will send you back in ships to Egypt on a journey I said you should never make again. There you will offer yourselves for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy you.
Take these words G, "Just as it pleased the Lord to make you prosper and increase in number, so it will please him to ruin and destroy you. " what is this? a love message?

The truth is the law is good for those who can keep it....newsflash no one can. If the law was good for sinners, man would have been saved. But Christ came to do what the law can NEVER do. The law brings death, because sin earns death. You say God's commandments are not curses. well they bring the curses on nonetheless. READ THE ABOVE LINES CAREFULLY. DO THEY NOT BRING CURSE. They become a curse to a man who is already fallen. And fallen we all are.

The law is based on your actions. Grace is based on Christ's actions. You can call grace theology, crapology. btw I assume you will the first one to get teary eyed if the same was said of torah. The jews of the time of Christ held a similar opinion. They thought free grace was crap too. And they crucified the man who promoted it. Free grace does not make an iota sense from the law's side. Its frightening at times. You lose all definitions of love, right, wrong and etc. You only have the spirit of God and you become a child of God. That is it basically. Either the law saves or it doesn't. either the law brings curse or it doesn't, either the law is good or it isn't. But all of this is dwarfed in Christ's presence. He IS the visible likeness of the invisible God. No law has that position.
Again 2 Tim 3:16 clearly states that ALL SCRIPTURE is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. Not some... Not a portion.. ALL of it. You clearly said before that the law was imperfect and an enslavement. Read it yourself.. This is a clear violation of scripture.
The law is imperfect, period. The only perfection is God himself. All scripture is good...as you mean, not a portion...ALL OF IT. Then please read the above passage of Deuteronomy and pray tell me, is this good too and should this be enforced upon as well? You can't answer this by the way. You will have to navigate around this to get back to point. And I will save you the time too.

Would you like God destroying you? I mean you hold strictly to...all scripture is good, right? Even if it ends up having gay people stoned and prostitutes stoned and witches burnt and Sabbath breakers to be put to death? No matter how much you don't like this...This is part of the law. And as timothy said...All scripture is Good, so therefore this is good too.

You are only following the law because you like to. You are completely missing the point. You want to defend the law on grounds which can not be possibly defended while being consistent.

Its not upto you to decide what you follow. Either you follow ALL the law and get all the rewards...OR...you don't follow all the law and are cursed by the law...OR You follow none and walk in grace. Or you can walk in grace and also try to fulfill the law as much as you can and promote, which you do...but then get down from the high horse and not paint the law as the focus, don't make it sound something which it is not. The law is what it is, you can't change that. Christ is the focus. Grace is what it is and no one can change that either. The law isn't legalism, but to follow it as a code for God's approval is. And while in theory there is a difference, practically there is hardly any difference. Those who promote following the law, also believe not following it is sin too. Thus they indirectly bring in legalism. Don't sin, don't eat that or this and etc. In Christ these things mean nothing.

You have chosen the law as you see fit to follow. This is also a violation by your own standards. It is grace only which saves you from the curse that the law brings.

God's law:
Brings rewards...good and bad both
It is a blessing to the good...curse to the sinner
It can not punish the perfect man, there is no perfect man, except Christ.
The law isn't perfect, because if it would, the commandment of life would not transform into a death sentence for me.
Christ is perfect and in him we are saints.
We are the children of God...we will NOT BECOME children of God. WE ARE. That is the reality. And you don't get wings, you are a saint, not an angel.

My personal humble opinion, no offense intended...your hermenuetics need help. You seem to be following the route of systematic theology. Ignore context, join up verses build a case. Call it settled.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

The entire law is Grace & LOVE... the LAW is good. Its a schoolmaster. Jesus didn't destroy, but fulfilled and in many cases "elevated" it. There is liberty and freedom in those who don't keep it that do as well. The law is of none affect if terms of salvation, but there is nothing wrong in keeping it- it is good. As long as there is an understanding that the law does not SAVE, nor keep safe, and I'm not convinced are considered good works. The law is holy, and it is pure, and it is good. Its simple. :esurprised:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

zacchaeus wrote:The entire law is Grace & LOVE... the LAW is good. Its a schoolmaster. Jesus didn't destroy, but fulfilled and in many cases "elevated" it. There is liberty and freedom in those who don't keep it that do as well. The law is of none affect if terms of salvation, but there is nothing wrong in keeping it- it is good. As long as there is an understanding that the law does not SAVE, nor keep safe, and I'm not convinced are considered good works. The law is holy, and it is pure, and it is good. Its simple. :esurprised:
but there is nothing wrong in keeping it
Are you keeping it(the law)? Remember, if you fail in one place, you fail at keeping the law. Trying to keep the law is not the same as keeping the law. Choosing parts of the law that one thinks pertains to him, isn't keeping the law. The law is a complete package. Either you keep it all, or you aren't keeping the law.

-Edward R Murrow

zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

So theres no freewill in freedom and liberty? Hmmm... and by that logic, your not-not keeping the law unless you break all of the law... see the issue? :)
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:Are you keeping it(the law)? Remember, if you fail in one place, you fail at keeping the law. Trying to keep the law is not the same as keeping the law. Choosing parts of the law that one thinks pertains to him, isn't keeping the law. The law is a complete package. Either you keep it all, or you aren't keeping the law.
The Law also says not to steal... Exodus 20:15. So if you fail to keep this part of law, that means you don't have to follow it anymore?? :doh: