The Law

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
zacchaeus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: The Law

Post by zacchaeus »

It must be in the way we articulate that differs... Ex: Pagan worship and its correlation imbedded in easter oppose to the Resurrection!!! I personally don't see how this differ in what we are discussing Ot law before oppose to after Christ death. Hope your still following (may be a famous rabbit trail). As soon as I preach resurrection, any opposition I'm told we have the Spirit of freedom and liberty!!! Yet it seems just the reversal, and I know you'll hound me on how that was such a bad example lol, I'm prepared :)

My reference to OT law not being binding was intended to carry over my agreement with you that they aren't for us today and served a specific purpose- my refusal is in God ever creating something bad or wrong. He says He didn't destroy it, I say He elevated it, Paul says now lets ESTABLISH it. I suppose when I differentiate the terms observe and keep, observe to simply mean or can mean acknowledge.

I'm not sure though how your moral argument holds up for tattoos- is that a moral issue? The arguments I've ran across go to the whole "eating" defense. My conviction didn't come until I read Leviticus, nothing outside of scripture tells me otherwise, in fact the opposite- they assure me how safe and sanitary it is, and how my body could witness Jesus Christ, but I think the WORD can stand on its on- ALONE.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

Jesus indeed redeemed us from the curse of the law- if I observe the law or not, it is of no avail, but I can certainly learn from it. Since I'm on a role of poorly expressed metaphors, lets say at my house my family is expected to take their shoes off before entering the house. Your a visitor- your certainly not required to take your shoes off (you surely won't be punished if you don't). You may do so out of respect. You may observe and learn from it, and may "choose" to incorporate it into your own lifestyle, but neither would stop you from entering my house, unless I said so... but I assure you there are many rooms in my house- lol (a little humor).

The Law no longer has any bearing, no longer under the penalty of Law, but the law of grace. I say we agree simply on we believe the same general idea and are basis are alike, we just differ in how we observe it. I could be wrong- so with that you win. But in context of the thread the law doesn't and never does nor has it really justified nor made holy, considering FAITH has always acted the same- looking toward the cross vs. looking back at the cross. So, where does this leave us?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:"One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind." Romans 14:7
In this discussion, I have no doubt that G is fully convinced in his own mind that a believer should follow the Law. And he should have no doubt that I am fully convinced otherwise. But I don’t see this verse speaking to that issue, and I will explain why. What you mention regarding tattoos, however, does fit the verse. Personal conviction about a behavior, choice, or an action.
This goes back to an old conversation about tattoos and lev 19:28. For me its a personal conviction. Our bodies are temples, and don't belong to us. Without going into lengthy debate- your position is I'm trying to keep the law by not having tattoos, yet if you don't have tattoos then its not because your living by the law- to me its an observation. The LAW is good, we cannot try and blame the law- its HOLY!!! The law isn't sin Rom 7:12. The law doesn't measure holiness... we are equal in Christ, no more than ones sin over anothers sin, say you stole and I killed! You say I have to keep every law, my response is just as ridiculous you would have to break every law- hence the issue!!! I say we have freedom and liberty in the Spirit- even when we chose to sin (not that we should, but in the struggle we all do) we know that Grace covers that. Grace covers ALL.

Would we know any sin or come to repentance of it if it weren't for the law? What about when God said "Do not eat"?
If you have a personal conviction not to get a tattoo, then I wouldn’t say you are trying to keep the law. That is certainly a possibility, but not necessarily the case. That is NOT the issue of the thread. The issue is whether the Law is the prescriptive means of Holy living for the believer. I also have a personal conviction not to get a tattoo. I would also say there are many personal convictions I hold that would line up with the Law. And there are things forbidden in the Law that I do not hold a personal conviction to uphold. If I got a tattoo would I be violating Israel’s Law? No. Obviously, if I have a moral aversion to tattoos, and I get one anyway, then I have transgressed my conscience, and thus have sinned. The Law of Israel does not accommodate that liberty.

You are correct, we would not know sin except by the law, the natural root of which is etched on the human conscience. In other words, moral discernment. Here is a question: Is stealing wrong because the Law says so, or does the Law say so, because it is wrong? I would say the former and the later. The Law deals with moral truth, but that is not all it deals with. It was wrong to kill before the Law was given. And the Law was given at a specific time for a specific people.
Is eating shell fish a violation of natural morality? No, but God forbade the Israelites to eat such. So, since it was forbidden, disobeying the authority of God was the moral infraction. If God says don't eat of the tree, then it is the violation of the decree that brings the sin. It isn't as if the act of eating is sinful. However, murder is wrong inherently. Eating fruit from a tree is not. I would look at the Sabbath the same way. Unlike murder, stealing, adultery, the Sabbath day doesn’t have a natural moral relationship to the human conscience. But God decreed it for Israel, and how it should be held. So to break the Sabbath was to transgress the governance of God. At some point in this thread, something was said(regarding the Sabbath) to the effect, "Are you saying that it is bad for man to rest?" As if holding the anti-nomian position is saying that it isn't good to rest, or take a day off. That is a strawman. To invoke the Sabbath in this way is to manipulate the law. Some of the Torah is consistent with inherent moral truths (don't steal) and some not (remember the Sabbath).

It is interesting that Paul said, “The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked; but now he commandeth men that they should all everywhere repent.” (Acts 17:30) What is it that God overlooked? In essence it was the idolatry of the Gentiles in the audience. But not in the sense that they were breaking the 2nd Command. The issue was salvaiton. They were not savable because they were in violation of a practical truth. Their false Gods and Goddesses were the product of their ignorance regarding the one true God. Paul is now informing them that there is one true God, so that now they are without excuse. They need to repent. That is they need to forsake that foolish thinking and embrace the truth. Then and only then can they be saved. After all, you can’t be saved if you think Jehovah is just another higher being on Olympus.

There are practical elements throughout the Law that people, even who don't even believe in God, will follow. Do not murder. That's because it is morally right based on nature and nature’s God. Murder is wrong, and the Law rightly affirms this truth. But the Law, for Israel, was not simply a command not to do something. It was also a governance for a people group chosen by God to bring forth His plans on the Earth. (The Kingdom) There are also elements in the law, which are not inherently obvious, that were specifically given regarding the economy of Israel. For one, the punishments for violating those laws. For example, there is certainly an element of rest contained within Sabbath. But that is not really the reason for the Sabbath. The Sabbath and its penalty had a very specific purpose for Israel. Do I feel any personal conviction, today, that those who don’t keep the Sabbath should be stoned to death? No. Yet, I do understand why God issued such a harsh penalty, to those UNDER the Law, for trespassing this command. Especially in relation to His purposes in Israel.

Next example. I have a personal conviction not to steal. But I don’t have a personal conviction to stone a thief and his entire family to death for stealing. See Achan in Joshua. But I do understand that in the economy of Israel, one man’s disobedience was not simply one man’s disobedience. It was the violation of the corporate covenant with God. The entire nation was defeated because of the individual transgression. Israel sinned. That is NOT how God is dealing with man today. If I sin today, it doesn’t mean that all of the Body of Christ sinned. And therefore we are going to lose a battle against the Midianites. That is what it is to be under the Law. We can’t segregate, or amend it to accommodate our religious preferences. But that is exactly what is happening in the pro-Messianic movement.

Let’s make it clear. Unlike Gman implies, I agree with EVERYTHING The scripture says about the Law. EVERYTHING. What I don’t agree with is his eisegesis regarding when, how and to whom the Law applies today. All of the scripture is written to us. Not all of it is written for us. Edification is different than application. And in that regard I see Paul's ministry revealing that God is NOT dealing with man today through the Law. The Law is not something a Christian should keep, or observe as a method of Christian living. Why? It is outside. The new Nature is within.

Gman quotes the Psalms in stating the Law is perfect. (Psalm 19:7) Is that true. Yes. Perfect in what sense? Well, let’s consider that verse in light of the progressive revelation. “For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.” (Heb. 8:7)
Is this verse saying that the Law was wrong? No. Is this in contradiction with what David said? No. The Law dealt practically with, and governed a people who were not perfect. (Heb. 7:28)
So what was David saying? Well for one, He is speaking as one of the covenant people. And he is speaking in a very poetic voice. This isn’t a “thus declares the Lord” scripture. He says it is perfect, converting the soul. So, does that mean that we proof text this poetic verse and then casually throw it into an argument where Hebrews and Romans is addressig the matter in a legal sense? No. But that is what is Gman is doing.

Grace is not a license to sin. And being an anti-nomian is not advocating murder, theft, or any other sinful behavior. If someone considers one day over another for their own edification, then I say go for it. But that is certainly not the context of what is going on here.
First off, my apologies for quoting this entire post.

I had to read it three times go fully grasp what jlay was saying.

Jlay, when and how did you come up with the content of this post?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Rick,
what specifically are you speaking of. Obviously I covered a lot of issues regarding "The Law." I apologize, as I had to throw it together rather quickly.
Last edited by jlay on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

zacchaeus wrote: I'm not sure though how your moral argument holds up for tattoos- is that a moral issue? The arguments I've ran across go to the whole "eating" defense. My conviction didn't come until I read Leviticus, nothing outside of scripture tells me otherwise, in fact the opposite- they assure me how safe and sanitary it is, and how my body could witness Jesus Christ, but I think the WORD can stand on its on- ALONE.
That is exactly my point. What may be a moral issue for one person, may be of no consequence to another. Let each be convinced....That is exactly why I was saying the verse applies.
I'm sure we can find many regulatory commands in the OT that you would not feel any conviction towards. How about breeding two types of cattle? Or blending two different seeds in the field. Or wearing a blended cotton/polyester shirt. (Deut. 22:11) Many people have an aversion to tatoos. I have friends with tatoos. I don't impose my personal distaste upon them. Culturally, for many, tatoos are seen as rebellion and part of thug life. Of course they are becoming normalized as more people elect to have their bodies inked.

Regarding observe. "All the commandments which I command you this day shall you observe to do, that you may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the LORD swore to your fathers."[/quote] (Deut. 8:1)I think it's important to use the terms consistently. Certainly the term observe in modern usage can be exactly what you said. If I observe a football game, I am not engaged in the play of the game. But from a common biblical usage observe means to follow or keep.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:Rick,
what specifically are you speaking of. Obviously I covered a lot of issues regarding "The Law." I apologize, as I had to throw it together rather quickly.
Pretty much the whole post. The reason why I ask, is because I haven't been able to put everything I was thinking into words. At risk of giving you a big head ;) , I think a lot of what I was thinking, you did a great job of putting into words.

When I read it the way you worded it, it just simply made sense. And I really hadn't seen anyone word it that way up until you did. So I was just wondering if you just put it together yourself, or you got it from what you've been studying.

I guess I've been frustrated with myself, as much as those who I disagree with, because I feel like my thoughts are kinda jumbled, and I can't get it into anything that makes sense. And like I said, what you wrote, simply makes sense. :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Rick,
It's certainly an issue I've put a lot of study in. I'll have to give you a little background, as there isn't one book I've read that deals specifically with what we are referring to. One book I am reading now, is "Freely by His Grace." Actually, this is written by a friend of Jacs' and some other dispensational Free Grace theologians. Oh I' sorry, crapologians. ;) Probably the biggest influence for me, now, is simply how I approach the text. We hear the words exegesis and hermanuetic a lot, but how often do we really set our minds on this when we approach the text. Not often I'm afraid. How many times are you having a discussion and someone randomly pulls out a verse and says, "See, the Bible says....." (I'll address more on this later.) The problem is not the verse, but prooftexting it in a way that is not consistent with the context. It is perfectly Ok to quote a scripture verse. But it isn't OK to do so, if your usage is not consistent with how the verse applies within its immediate context. For example, Gman would say, "The Law is good and Holy,...."(Romans 7:12) His implication being that Paul is advocating the Law as something we (the Gentile believer today) should keep. Is that consistent with the immediate context of Romans 7? No. Following that Eisegesis we can 'make' the bible say almost anything.

In my study, which I haven't discussed much on this forum, I have really examined the back ground of protestant Christianity over the past 1,000 years. Yes, I am aware that protestant reformation occured less than 1,000 years ago. But, systematic theology began as a practice around that time, and I would argue that this may be the single biggest influence on Christianity today. And that is not a good thing, IMO. Obviously, the Messianic movements are birthed out of Protestantism. In fact, they are strongly influenced from off shoots of dispensational theology. I think they shot off in the wrong direction, BTW. What you had was dispenstational escahtoloty, blended with charasmatic influence, which led to the Messianic movement. Dispentational eschatoloty puts influence on the distinctions in the nation of Israel and the Chruch, the Body of Christ. Most of us believe that God will restore the earthly Kindgom to Israel, but this is a seperate event to happen in the 'times to come.' And thus, today we are operating in a different dispensation. (I've mentioned this before regarding the minsitry of Paul.) So, when Jewish people began moving back to the land, you can see why this would begin to stir interest in these type of things. This led to various factions of Messianic movements, and of course many began to teach the need to start observing the Torah. It is obviously more nuanced than that, but you can probably Google some info if you like. As you can see, there are those who are more cultural proponents, such as Zaccheaus seems to be. And then you have Zealots like Gman.

So much for that. More on my journey. Up unitl maybe four years ago, I was a legalist and Lordship Salvation proponent. A modified Calvinists if you will. I was convinced, and even argued on this forum, that some elements of the Law were still applicable today, especially the big 10. Although I wasn't a Sabbatarian, I believed that we all should keep some modified version of the Sabbath. Of course I had absolutely no Biblical reason for this, and how, when and what was to be kept was completely arbirtrary. "Keeping" the Sabbath would have been going to a church service on Sunday morning. My arguments were simply the arguments of others I had adopted as my own. In fact I probably said a lot of the same things you hear others on this forum espousing. That would be advocating distinctions in the Hebrew moral, civil, and dietary laws, even though the law itself never does this. I was pro-tithing. Again, even though I had no Biblical reason to support this practive for the NT body of Christ believer. And quite frankly I looked down on people who didn't tithe. And even though I wouldn't admit it, I felt morally superior to those who didn't. Well, pride goeth before a fall. At that time I began to ask myself why I believed what I believed. Was it religious tradition and teaching, or was there a genuine biblical reason for what I believed and practiced? As you can imagine, this began to shake up several elements of my faith life. This also began to bring to the surface other issues. I would have argued with you till I was blue in the fact that there were no contraditions in the Bible. I knew every text book answer. But as I studied the Bible I could not reconcile the fact that there were verses that seemed to contradict. Don't misunderstand, those contradictions do have good explanations.

Even though my ministry was an amazing blessing of God, I also began to see that as something I was doing, and began to lord that over others I felt weren't doing enough in the church. When I first began to adopt this hermanuetic I was very resistent, even angry. I heard a Bible teacher say something regarding the book of Matthew that set me off. Essentially, that the book of Matthew was addressed to Jews, and dealt specifically with Jesus' earthly ministry to Israel regarding the fulfillment of the covenant promises to those people. The basic gist was saying that although everthing in Matthew is written for us, it doesn't mean it was written to us. And, that there maybe sound exegetical reasons not to apply everything written in what we call the NT to our own lives. In fact, even arguing whether the Gospels are actually "NT" books. (But instead are the last OT books) Now there is a shocker. Paul advised Timothy to be one who rightly DIVIDES the Word of truth. That is to cut or seperate. It doesn't mean 'handle.' It literally means to cut into. To be honest, when I first heard this teaching I was mad. I argued with those that held these views. Yet, it is interesting how this issue kept landing on my plate. I was being a good little Lordship Salvation proponent. I read Spurgeon and Edwards devotionals. I did all the latest bible studies. Blackaby, MacDonald, etc. Although I was trying my best to read Spurgeon, MacCarthur and all the other Lordship Salvation teachers, I kept being confronted with rightly dividing. It was not being taught in my church. It was not being taught in my Bible studies. I didn't have ANY friends who were following this method. Yet, I kept coming across it. So, instead of having animosity, I began to start seeking out answers and asking questions; even though it challenged nearly everything in my Christian worldview. Over the next few years God began to humble me, and begin to open my eyes to the error of my ways. He is still doing it.

For much of my Christian life the Bible was unapproachable. I was dependent of pre-packaged little Bible studies with a fill in the blank work book. Let me just warn anyone now to be careful of these topical methods of Bible study. I'm not condemning them with a broad brush stroke. Just be careful.
In addition, my Bible understanding was little more than sound bites. After all, that seems to be how most believers apporach it. How often do you hear people say, "that's my life verse." In reality, the verse in its context has NOTHING to do with them or their situation. Apologies to Tim Tebow and his eye black. And so, the Bible becomes little more than a me centered bunch of proof texts that we can put in a picture frame and hang on the wall. "As for me and my house...."
Now that isn't the same exegetical problem we have in regards to how some see the law and the OT, but it is still a problem. And quite frankly, I think it's a serious problem.

Example on this line of thinking: "But Jesus said, 'If you obey my commands...,." and Jesus is God, and God gave the 10 commands, therefore we need to follow the 10 Commands. The Sabbath is a command, therefore........" As you can see, there is no exegesis. It's a question begging eisegesis for handling the scripture. It starts with a premise and then reads that into the text what it wants to say.
Did Jesus say these words? Yes! Is it true? Yes! Did he say what the sabbatarian is proposing? NO!

What I discussed earlier regarding the 'practical' elements and the 'presciptive' elements is not anything I've personally seen anyone write on, although I'm sure they have. It gets back to that same objection:
"We are not under the Law."
-"Oh, so you are saying it's OK to fornicate, steal and murder?"
That has been Gman's basic response, and I can just about bet you that it will continue to be. It's tired. It's a straw man. And as anyone can see, it's a bad debate tactic.

The prescriptive and practical is an interesting subject. The practical is the natural, moral law that God, through His being, has woven into the fabric of existance. It is wrong to murder.
Take our own culture for example. We have laws against murder. Does the law make it wrong, or does the law reflect the truth that it is wrong? In this case, the law reflects the truth. Now, there are a lot of other laws. A county may set the speed limit on a road at 20 mph. Now, in reality it may be perfectly safe to travel at 40 mph on that road. But the law says it is 20 mph, and if we break the law, we are in transgression. Is this law a reflection of some universal moral truth?
I think this is where people go wrong with divine command morality. I don't think it is an either/or, but a both/and. The Hebrew Law has elements of divine command. Laws that were prescribed for Israel. To be in violation of these laws is contingent as to whether these laws apply to that person or group. Yes, there are laws in the Torah that are also based in univeral truth. That is they are universally true at all times and all places.

Here is an example. I think we can agree that it is universally wrong for a child to disrespect a parent. That is true in all times and places.
As a parent I may set a curfew for my teenager for 10:00 o'clock. If my neighbor's child comes home at 11:00 have they transgressed this rule? No. My rule does not apply to them. Even if their child has a a curfew of 10:00, they still have not transgressed my rule. They are not under my rule.
To advocate the Sabbath is to try and live under an authority that was not prescribed for you.

zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

The law metaphor is neat and interesting, I think its inaccurate. Lets look at it from my view... I say "my view" loosely.

Lets say you and your neighbor have differ curfews or even the same as you alluded, but the punishment would differ and not universally apply. But lets say even if you don't have a curfew (but even if you do)- lets say despite yalls set curfews that the LAW had a mandate curfew of 9pm or there would be a fine set in place for law breakers. At this point all would be under the law including yours and your neighbors child. Lets say this is set in place for so many years, then a gov official comes along and changes the law (or if fulfilled or served its purpose). Lets say I move to the neighborhood and being an advocate of law and politics I read the old law (that is of no effect)- I realize the good in it, a great example can be applicable and practical for my children. Therefore I observe and though not required I set the standard in my house of a 9pm curfew. I have the freedom to do so- correct? Is there a requirement- NO? Is it bad or hurtful- No? Will the LAW punish or fine me or my children for breaking or keeping a 9pm curfew- NO? I think it quite simple... Its not a requirement, and we aren't trying to earn favor with the government, as a suck-up, nor trying to think ourselves any better than you and your neighbor, after all we would all be neighbors- and we are to love each other correct? I wouldn't pass judgment, nor would it be morally, ethically, or anything wrong nor right with whether you or your neighbor "chose" to keep the curfew or not. Thank God that the official changed the LAW right- even though its GOOD, its just not required... Amazing Grace!!!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Gal 3:24, 25, "Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor."

Says it best...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote: This is a question begging proposition.
It begs the question that the Law, and keeping it is the measure of holiness today. But Paul addresses believers, even one's with terrible behavior problems, as "Saints." Do you understand that the word "Saint" is the exact same Greek word as "Holy." Exactly the SAME.
Really.. So if you are calling yourself a saint.. Then why would you be opposed to be getting rid of all moral filth as G-d's word describes??

James 1:21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Ephesians 5:5-6, “For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.”

Colossians 3:5-8 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
jlay wrote:Yes, in this sense keeping the law constitutes living by it. That is exaclty what is being advocated. The problem is that no one is really keeping the Law. No one. The OT law is clear in its requirements and punishments. So, one applies their interpretitive leanings to select what and how they will "keep" it. And thus this creates a self-righteousness legalists. It says the Law is the measure of holiness and how one is "loving" God. It's been said over and over.
So according to this cupcake philosophy, since we can't keep G-d's commandments we simply have to throw them all away?? Brilliant... Also we are SAVED from the curses of it through Christ... Galatians 3:13. Please read your Bible.
jlay wrote:You see it's a loaded question. That is why G keeps accusing, "You are saying its OK to__________?!?!" Or, accusing us of saying that grace is a license to sin. We aren't. Grace is the rescue from sin (all of it) and condemnation. It is because we are Holy that we can live Holy. Not because we are being measured any longer by an external standard. There really is NO condemnation. It really is ALL forgiven. This is identity. You really are a NEW creature. And living holy is a matter of mind set. Knowing who we are "In Christ." Be not conformed any longer, but be transformed by the renewing of your MIND. Then........you will be able to test and approve the will of God.
If you really think you are a new creature, then why are you opposed to G-d's commandments that were GIVEN by the Holt Spirit?? We follow G-d's commandments BECAUSE we are saved... You got the whole thing backwards.
jlay wrote:What is sin for the believer? Breaking rules for which there is now no condemnation for breaking? (Romans 8:1) No, it is living contrary to our identity "In Christ."
What do we have when we trust Christ?
-Forgiveness. How much? All or some? Complete forgiveness. (Well, not according to Gman, as I'll show in a moment.)
-We receieve His righteousness. How much? All of it. We are "hid in Christ."
-We are NEW creatures in Christ.
-Now, how much of that did we accomplish? None. Not one iota. Christ did it all, and it was credited to our account when we believed in Him. We didn't work for any of it. Romans 4:5
The word says we were baptized into Christ by the Spirit. Done deal.
Our identity is new. It is a 100% reality. It is obvious that we have some here who don't trust that this is the case. They think that holiness is not our new identity, but that we must fulfill the law to be Holy.
Identity? You are trying to strip people of their Biblical identity.. New does NOT mean that we toss away G-d's commandments now.. G-d's commandments ARE FREEDOM AND LIFE.. You are confused....

James 1:25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
jlay wrote:G says that our forgiveness is conditional. That we are to judge our salvation on David's life and not in light of the cross work of Christ. I ask where does it say in 2 Sam. 11:1-12:25 that David's eternal justification was conditional on his repentance? Answer, it doesn't. It never says that. It says that David's lament and fast was that the child might live. The child didn't. David's sin had real consequences. It says that David suffered temporal consequences for his deeds, but never once mentions anything regarding his eternal state. God is not negotiating our salvation with us based on the Law. He fulfilled the law.
Are you actually reading the Bible? G-d found David a man after G-d's own heart. Why? Because of his obedience..

Acts 13:22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’

Now I ask how does a believer become a Christian? You don't think that is conditional to except Christ or not??

Acts 17:30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Luke 15:7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven [/u]over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.[/u]

1 John 3:15, “Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”

1 John 3:22-24 then, whatever we ask for, we receive from him; because we are obeying his commands and doing the things that please him.23 This is his command: that we are to trust in the person and power of his Son Yeshua the Messiah and to keep loving one another, just as he commanded us. 24 Those who obey his commands remain united with him and he with them. Here is how we know that he remains united with us: by the Spirit whom he gave us.
jlay wrote:Are you a saint? God says you are.
Gman earlier blantantly denied who the scripture says we are. He denied Paul's claim that we are NOT in the flesh. I mean he blatantly denied this scriptural truth to defend legalism.
Sure anyone is a saint who follows Christ... That is WHY we obey His commandments.... Again you got the whole darn thing all backwards.

1 John 5:3-4, “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.”
jlay wrote:What legalists do is deny who the believer is "In Christ." It says, you aren't Holy. It says you are in the flesh. It says you are a slave to the Law. It says you are a sinner. It says you must/should try to live up to an outside moral standard.

Paul went to exhaustive links to lay out the case, much like a lawyer, and yet people twist his words to place believers under the Law.
Actually you are teaching legalism.. You have already confessed that your faith is not a license to sin, so you are following some type of law. But if it is NOT based on G-d's word, you are simply making up your own code.... Very, very dangerous and deceiving.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zacchaeus wrote:Jlay, I think you've totally missed the context of the conversation. You and Rick both don't realize we all three agree...

This goes back to an old conversation about tattoos and lev 19:28. For me its a personal conviction. Our bodies are temples, and don't belong to us. Without going into lengthy debate- your position is I'm trying to keep the law by not having tattoos, yet if you don't have tattoos then its not because your living by the law- to me its an observation. The LAW is good, we cannot try and blame the law- its HOLY!!! The law isn't sin Rom 7:12. The law doesn't measure holiness...
Ding.. Ding.. Ding.. :P Zacchaeus has actually grasped what G-d's word is trying to convey.. Our bodies are HOLY!!!! That is why we don't put stupid graffiti marks all over them like the pagans do. We are to be separate of the world 2 Corinthians 6:17.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Gman wrote:
zacchaeus wrote:Jlay, I think you've totally missed the context of the conversation. You and Rick both don't realize we all three agree...

This goes back to an old conversation about tattoos and lev 19:28. For me its a personal conviction. Our bodies are temples, and don't belong to us. Without going into lengthy debate- your position is I'm trying to keep the law by not having tattoos, yet if you don't have tattoos then its not because your living by the law- to me its an observation. The LAW is good, we cannot try and blame the law- its HOLY!!! The law isn't sin Rom 7:12. The law doesn't measure holiness...
Ding.. Ding.. Ding.. :P Zacchaeus has actually grasped what G-d's word is trying to convey.. Our bodies are HOLY!!!! That is why we don't put stupid graffiti marks all over them like the pagans do. We are to be separate of the world 2 Corinthians 6:17.
So under this, anyone, say a biker with gads of markings, cannot come to Christ and is dam-d to hell due to his past Life just because all his tattoos?

y:-?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

B.W. don't read into what Gman said... Did he say what you proposed- we should however present ourselves a "living sacrifice". Its no differ than once a murderer comes to Christ and realizes his sin, he no longer murders- he is a new creature. Just cause someone has a tattoo doesn't mean there going to hell. Good grief!!!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Gman wrote:
jlay wrote: This is a question begging proposition.
It begs the question that the Law, and keeping it is the measure of holiness today. But Paul addresses believers, even one's with terrible behavior problems, as "Saints." Do you understand that the word "Saint" is the exact same Greek word as "Holy." Exactly the SAME.
Really.. So if you are calling yourself a saint.. Then why would you be opposed to be getting rid of all moral filth as G-d's word describes??

James 1:21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Ephesians 5:5-6, “For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.”

Colossians 3:5-8 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
jlay wrote:Yes, in this sense keeping the law constitutes living by it. That is exaclty what is being advocated. The problem is that no one is really keeping the Law. No one. The OT law is clear in its requirements and punishments. So, one applies their interpretitive leanings to select what and how they will "keep" it. And thus this creates a self-righteousness legalists. It says the Law is the measure of holiness and how one is "loving" God. It's been said over and over.
So according to this cupcake philosophy, since we can't keep G-d's commandments we simply have to throw them all away?? Brilliant... Also we are SAVED from the curses of it through Christ... Galatians 3:13. Please read your Bible.
jlay wrote:You see it's a loaded question. That is why G keeps accusing, "You are saying its OK to__________?!?!" Or, accusing us of saying that grace is a license to sin. We aren't. Grace is the rescue from sin (all of it) and condemnation. It is because we are Holy that we can live Holy. Not because we are being measured any longer by an external standard. There really is NO condemnation. It really is ALL forgiven. This is identity. You really are a NEW creature. And living holy is a matter of mind set. Knowing who we are "In Christ." Be not conformed any longer, but be transformed by the renewing of your MIND. Then........you will be able to test and approve the will of God.
If you really think you are a new creature, then why are you opposed to G-d's commandments that were GIVEN by the Holt Spirit?? We follow G-d's commandments BECAUSE we are saved... You got the whole thing backwards.
jlay wrote:What is sin for the believer? Breaking rules for which there is now no condemnation for breaking? (Romans 8:1) No, it is living contrary to our identity "In Christ."
What do we have when we trust Christ?
-Forgiveness. How much? All or some? Complete forgiveness. (Well, not according to Gman, as I'll show in a moment.)
-We receieve His righteousness. How much? All of it. We are "hid in Christ."
-We are NEW creatures in Christ.
-Now, how much of that did we accomplish? None. Not one iota. Christ did it all, and it was credited to our account when we believed in Him. We didn't work for any of it. Romans 4:5
The word says we were baptized into Christ by the Spirit. Done deal.
Our identity is new. It is a 100% reality. It is obvious that we have some here who don't trust that this is the case. They think that holiness is not our new identity, but that we must fulfill the law to be Holy.
Identity? You are trying to strip people of their Biblical identity.. New does NOT mean that we toss away G-d's commandments now.. G-d's commandments ARE FREEDOM AND LIFE.. You are confused....

James 1:25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
jlay wrote:G says that our forgiveness is conditional. That we are to judge our salvation on David's life and not in light of the cross work of Christ. I ask where does it say in 2 Sam. 11:1-12:25 that David's eternal justification was conditional on his repentance? Answer, it doesn't. It never says that. It says that David's lament and fast was that the child might live. The child didn't. David's sin had real consequences. It says that David suffered temporal consequences for his deeds, but never once mentions anything regarding his eternal state. God is not negotiating our salvation with us based on the Law. He fulfilled the law.
Are you actually reading the Bible? G-d found David a man after G-d's own heart. Why? Because of his obedience..

Acts 13:22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’

Now I ask how does a believer become a Christian? You don't think that is conditional to except Christ or not??

Acts 17:30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Luke 15:7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven [/u]over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.[/u]

1 John 3:15, “Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”

1 John 3:22-24 then, whatever we ask for, we receive from him; because we are obeying his commands and doing the things that please him.23 This is his command: that we are to trust in the person and power of his Son Yeshua the Messiah and to keep loving one another, just as he commanded us. 24 Those who obey his commands remain united with him and he with them. Here is how we know that he remains united with us: by the Spirit whom he gave us.
jlay wrote:Are you a saint? God says you are.
Gman earlier blantantly denied who the scripture says we are. He denied Paul's claim that we are NOT in the flesh. I mean he blatantly denied this scriptural truth to defend legalism.
Sure anyone is a saint who follows Christ... That is WHY we obey His commandments.... Again you got the whole darn thing all backwards.

1 John 5:3-4, “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.”
jlay wrote:What legalists do is deny who the believer is "In Christ." It says, you aren't Holy. It says you are in the flesh. It says you are a slave to the Law. It says you are a sinner. It says you must/should try to live up to an outside moral standard.

Paul went to exhaustive links to lay out the case, much like a lawyer, and yet people twist his words to place believers under the Law.
Actually you are teaching legalism.. You have already confessed that your faith is not a license to sin, so you are following some type of law. But if it is NOT based on G-d's word, you are simply making up your own code.... Very, very dangerous and deceiving.
With all due respect G-man, you are crossing the line here. After reading the thread, Jlay is not saying anything you suggest he is saying.

Gal 3:24, 25, "Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor."

The law of the New Covenant is written within the heart, not as how the head interprets it - this basically sums up what Jlay was conveying on this thread.

There is a big difference between loving God from the heart obedience than demonstrating that one loves God by how much they officially keep and how often they observe. You of all persons should know that.

G- instead of looking at infractions, how about discussing first what you and Jlay actually agree on? (which by the way is a lot)
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zacchaeus wrote:B.W. don't read into what Gman said... Did he say what you proposed- we should however present ourselves a "living sacrifice". Its no differ than once a murderer comes to Christ and realizes his sin, he no longer murders- he is a new creature. Just cause someone has a tattoo doesn't mean there going to hell. Good grief!!!
Hi Zac,

No, making a case on how people misunderstand each other and people do do that a lot. Bible says, let our words be seasoned with salt that our words present what to the hearers?

Though both G and Jlay may disagree with my opinion that they both have more in common than they do differences - they are in effect agreeing with each other in this regards - The Grace of God teaches us...

Titus 2:11 NIV - Titus 2:12 NIV Titus 2:13-15...

People misunderstand each other and often come across as they do not intend, therefore, one read G's comment about tattoos would be thinking what I wrote in response... that was my point...

Words - words - words - just words so watch it with the words :esmile: :wave:
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb: