Old Earth and Theistic Evolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
nash100000
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Old Earth and Theistic Evolution

Post by nash100000 »

According to my calculations, since God created the universe in 6 days, each day translates to 2,3 billion years. There is therefore no contradiction between science and Genesis/Quran.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Old Earth and Theistic Evolution

Post by RickD »

nash100000 wrote:According to my calculations, since God created the universe in 6 days, each day translates to 2,3 billion years. There is therefore no contradiction between science and Genesis/Quran.
According to your calculations, the Quran and Genesis are free from contradiction? I think you need a new calculator! :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

nash100000 wrote:According to my calculations, since God created the universe in 6 days, each day translates to 2,3 billion years. There is therefore no contradiction between science and Genesis/Quran.
You must be a Russian accountant.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
nash100000
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by nash100000 »

I am serious chaps. I got the answer from the Quran. In addition, the Quran states that the earth was created 2 days ago, that agian translates to 2,3 billion years per day.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

nash100000 wrote:I am serious chaps. I got the answer from the Quran. In addition, the Quran states that the earth was created 2 days ago, that agian translates to 2,3 billion years per day.
So you must be a Muslim?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I am serious chaps. I got the answer from the Quran. In addition, the Quran states that the earth was created 2 days ago, that agian translates to 2,3 billion years per day.
Nash, the problem with that, is the Genesis creation days are when God transformed the already existing earth, up until the creation of Adam and Eve. There's no mention of the creation of the universe within the six creation days. So logically, since day one describes God's transforming of an existing earth, we must conclude that the earth, along with the universe itself, was created before Genesis day 1. If the earth is 4.X billion years old, on average, each creation day is less than 1 billion years long.

So like I said, you have a faulty calculator. :mrgreen:
But other than that minor difference, I'm quite sure y:^o that Genesis and the Koran are in complete harmony. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The Koran doesn't have a creation story. It just assumes the biblical version, with Allah standing in for God. Suras 7:54, 32:4 and 57:4, deal with the 6-day creation, for those of you who want to look it up.

This is study note #1031 on sura 7:54,

1031: a sublime verse, comparable to the Throne Verse, 2:255. The Creation in six days is of course metaphorical. In 45:14, the ''Days of Allah'' refer not so much to time as to the growth in us of a spiritual sense, a sense of sin and a sense of Allah's Mercy. In 22:47, we are told that a day in the sight of Allah is like a thousand years of our reckoning, and in 70:4, the comparison is with 50,000 of our years. In the history of our material earth, we may rekon six great epochs of evolution. The significance of the figure six will be discussed in connection with 41:9-12, where the matter is referred to in more detail. -The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an

There are study notes for suras 32:4 and 57:4 as well. Essentially the author of the study notes assumes Theistic Evolution.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +