Critics on some Christians

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Critics on some Christians

Post by 1over137 »

What I have in mind is that even some Christians avoid to really help another Christian. They may be coward,I do not know. Some tend to say, I will pray for ya. Well, yes that is important, but is that it? What about giving helping hand ourselves too? What about having real chat with the suferrer, trying to explore what he needs. What about trying to find other people who may help as well?

What are they afraid of? Oh, yes, cowards.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Critics on some Christians

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote: What are they afraid of?
Spending time. Spending money. Witnessing.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

1over137 wrote:What I have in mind is that even some Christians avoid to really help another Christian. They may be coward,I do not know. Some tend to say, I will pray for ya. Well, yes that is important, but is that it? What about giving helping hand ourselves too? What about having real chat with the suferrer, trying to explore what he needs. What about trying to find other people who may help as well?

It is important to discern between a person who really does need help versus someone that will just leech you. Proper personal boundaries allow one to distinguish the type of person.

Before helping another, we should be secure enough in ourselves, that we can help and love another without letting their problems overcome us.

Otherwise anyone in obvious physical need should be helped without question. Those with emotional needs though things can get quite complex.

If you need emotional help, then you hopefully have someone close to turn to. Failing that, you need to seek out someone who can help you with the emotional support needed whether that is a pastor, counsellor, psychiatrist...

And sometimes people just don't care... cause well the world is often quite buggered.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Kurieuo wrote:
1over137 wrote:What I have in mind is that even some Christians avoid to really help another Christian. They may be coward,I do not know. Some tend to say, I will pray for ya. Well, yes that is important, but is that it? What about giving helping hand ourselves too? What about having real chat with the suferrer, trying to explore what he needs. What about trying to find other people who may help as well?

It is important to discern between a person who really does need help versus someone that will just leech you. Proper personal boundaries allow one to distinguish the type of person.

Before helping another, we should be secure enough in ourselves, that we can help and love another without letting their problems overcome us.

Otherwise anyone in obvious physical need should be helped without question. Those with emotional needs though things can get quite complex.

If you need emotional help, then you hopefully have someone close to turn to. Failing that, you need to seek out someone who can help you with the emotional support needed whether that is a pastor, counsellor, psychiatrist...

And sometimes people just don't care... cause well the world is often quite buggered.
First of all, God is my comforter. Then there is someone else who is. I thought also I will get support from another person. In Slovak, there is a saying that says that in need you know your friends. Hard times show who yuor friend really are.
Thankfully some other person appeared who acted really friendly, so now I know he is a friend.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think for some it can be laziness or even apathy but for many I have noticed that they get "over whelmed" and truly don't know what to do or even if they are doing the right thing ( with so much corruption going around).
Funny thing is that it doesn't take much.
If we love others as we would have them love us.
If we care of those that we know and need us.
Now, imagine one person doing that to another, now see that happening all over the world, just one person helping another.
Sad thing is that it really IS that simple and that easy BUT it does take a person actually helping.
We must first help ourselves and we do that by God's grace and love through Jesus, then we help are immediate family, we love them like Christ loves Us ( how many people have you helped already in just doing that?), then it extends to those we know, neighbours, friends, co-workers, etc.
Now, if everyone did that, well.
Simple eh?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:I think for some it can be laziness or even apathy but for many I have noticed that they get "over whelmed" and truly don't know what to do or even if they are doing the right thing ( with so much corruption going around).
Now, imagine one person doing that to another, now see that happening all over the world, just one person helping another.
Sad thing is that it really IS that simple and that easy BUT it does take a person actually helping.
We must first help ourselves and we do that by God's grace and love through Jesus, then we help are immediate family, we love them like Christ loves Us ( how many people have you helped already in just doing that?), then it extends to those we know, neighbours, friends, co-workers, etc.
Simple eh?
You reminded me the movie Pay It Forward.

If everyone helped just little bit more, world could change. And yes, I am INTJ.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I think for some it can be laziness or even apathy but for many I have noticed that they get "over whelmed" and truly don't know what to do or even if they are doing the right thing ( with so much corruption going around).
Simple eh?

If everyone helped just little bit more, world could change. And yes, I am INTJ.
I think that is what truly makes it so sad, that it doesn't take much at all.
It just takes us taking care of those we love and treating others with love and compassion.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Simple eh?

It just takes us taking care of those we love and treating others with love and compassion.
EXACTLY!

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Simple eh?

EXACTLY!
I think in God's Kingdom hereafter that we'll be able to live in harmony with one another -- almost Trinitarian-like.

While in this world, show compassion, but have boundaries in place to safely let the good in while keeping the bad out.

Giving help freely sounds great in thought, but in reality it is quite naive to not evaluate the situation.

Take my sister who with her youth group, and as part of the church's outreach to homeless, was taken advantage of.

Or, if you're the personality type of my mother who always plays victim and manipulates people with emotional games...

Perhaps I have different situations in mind. Sure help the lady across the street, ask someone who looks distressed whether they need help, take someone to hospital who is obviously physically injured, etc...

But, the world isn't perfect and often those who need help can repay good intentions with evil. But maybe only in Australia?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
But, the world isn't perfect and often those who need help can repay good intentions with evil. But maybe only in Australia?
Yes, only in Australia. Never in the good ole U. S. of A. :shakehead:
Disasters bring out the best and worst in people. There are always plenty of people willing to lend a helping hand. But there are the scammers too. Those who make money off other people's misfortune.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kurieuo wrote:
1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Simple eh?

EXACTLY!
I think in God's Kingdom hereafter that we'll be able to live in harmony with one another -- almost Trinitarian-like.

While in this world, show compassion, but have boundaries in place to safely let the good in while keeping the bad out.

Giving help freely sounds great in thought, but in reality it is quite naive to not evaluate the situation.

Take my sister who with her youth group, and as part of the church's outreach to homeless, was taken advantage of.

Or, if you're the personality type of my mother who always plays victim and manipulates people with emotional games...

Perhaps I have different situations in mind. Sure help the lady across the street, ask someone who looks distressed whether they need help, take someone to hospital who is obviously physically injured, etc...

The Trinity doctrine teaches us that God is "other-centered" love since the very beginning of beginnings.
If we all live our lives in that "other-centered" love, as the song goes, Oh what a beautiful world this would be.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1over137 wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
What I have in mind is that even some Christians avoid to really help another Christian. They may be coward,I do not know. Some tend to say, I will pray for ya. Well, yes that is important, but is that it? What about giving helping hand ourselves too? What about having real chat with the suferrer, trying to explore what he needs. What about trying to find other people who may help as well?

Spending time. Spending money. Witnessing.

FL
There are many various reasons for apathy and we are all guilty of it. FL answers says why the best and bluntly: Spending time. Spending money. Witnessing

Ask many normal church goers to explain what Jesus did for them and notice all the various answers you'll receive. Seldom will you get the gospel answer but rather a ‘what I can get’ mentality is expressed most often. This is due to bad teaching and making church members a financial supporting audience more than an Army battling darkness where one has been assigned.

Basically, people don’t know how to do what they are to do as Christians. There are so many schemers and scammers out there that mock the gospel so that it becomes difficult to know who to support. As for me, I look for proven ministries like Graham’s Samaritan Purse, or In Touch Ministries many outreaches. I look to the local city or community homeless shelters too. Groups proven are the whom to give to and we all must learn to give wisely.

I also do clothing drives for the First Nation folk (Native American) too. It is here I discover giving breaks down when the rubber meets the road. There is much ado and a plethora of words spoken about how we should keep the law and how we should love one another. I found this out the hard way. Let me give you an actual example: I am in the midst of a clothing drive for several Native American Reservations. I have the clothes and even a 24 foot Truck donated by a moving/rental company. All I need is fuel to cover the 700 plus miles I need to drive. The truck has a 60 Gallon tank and estimated mileage for that size truck is 8 mpg. Gasoline is expensive for the estmated three fill-ups it would take. I need this before May 10, 2013.

Through various contacts, much of what is received is silence, however the building funds, the need to pay tithes seems to fund the funding seems of more important than not to forget the poor and needy amongst us. So it is difficult but the Lord will come through if it is truly his will and design... So I am learning another lesson: faith.

It is sad to see how, by words, we serve with our mouths more than what we live by. I even convict myself but understand that when God sets forth love in your heart, you are drawn to help others in various ways. His grace is meant for changing the heart and promoting free loving reactions. Yes, multimillion dollar building funds are grand, paying tithes helps pay the bills and salaries, but through this time I can’t help wonder when we all stand before the Lord how much more chaff we produce rather than being true extensions of God’s grace.

From legalist, I hear – pay tithes! From others – Building and fellowship funds! Others, sorry, we’ll pray for you. Others silence. Amazing what you see.

It is like a game of tag and the Lord taps you and says you are it. For some odd reason, you can’t tag him back but must do what he says, by faith. Now the need has grown not only for clothes but for paper products such as diapers, paper towels, toilet paper for those on the Reservations. Well, if everyone spent Time with the Lord alone and learning to hear his voice and obey, I wonder what would happen to all the building funds and fancy programs?

God Bless!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think the issue may be intent.
When you deal out of love the answer "comes to you", you don't have to be told:
You have surplus clothes, you give them to those in need, you see a hungry homeless person and buy them a sandwich, you know that someone is hard up financially you ask if you can help, you have money to spare, you give to those you know need help, you find out about a cause and you want to help so you volunteer, BUT if none of that is something you want to do then doing it "because you have to" is not good.
Some will argue that while your intents are poor, at least you are doing something and that is a valid point BUT that is not The Way, we give out of love, not out of "duty".
We take care of those in need because they are our family, because we are motivated out of love for them, not because of a "law" or "commandment" per say.
Look, the lesson we get from Christ is that He gave ALL for us not because He HAD to, not because He was TOLD to, not because it was "the law" or was "right", but because He loved us, period.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:I think the issue may be intent.
You have surplus clothes, you give them to those in need, you see a hungry homeless person and buy them a sandwich, you know that someone is hard up financially you ask if you can help, you have money to spare, you give to those you know need help, you find out about a cause and you want to help so you volunteer, BUT if none of that is something you want to do then doing it "because you have to" is not good.
Some will argue that while your intents are poor, at least you are doing something and that is a valid point BUT that is not The Way, we give out of love, not out of "duty".
We take care of those in need because they are our family, because we are motivated out of love for them, not because of a "law" or "commandment" per say.
Look, the lesson we get from Christ is that He gave ALL for us not because He HAD to, not because He was TOLD to, not because it was "the law" or was "right", but because He loved us, period.
:clap:

Also :clap: to B.W. for his post. B.W. could you come to set up a church where I live? You once mentioned that and I did not forget.

#foreverinmyheart
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I think the issue may be intent.
:clap:

Also :clap: to B.W. for his post. B.W. could you come to set up a church where I live? You once mentioned that and I did not forget.
Lord willing - He could use me to help!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys