The Law

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: The Law

Post by B. W. »

Here are some interesting points to consider from the bible:

Romans 3:21, 22, "But now God has shown us how to become right with him. The Law and the Prophets give witness to this. It has nothing to do with obeying the law. 22 We are made right with God by putting our faith in Jesus Christ. That happens to all who believe. It is no different for the Jews than for anyone else." NIrV

Romans 3:23, 24, 25, 26, "Everyone has sinned. No one measures up to God's glory. 24 The free gift of God's grace makes all of us right with him. Christ Jesus paid the price to set us free. 25 God gave him as a sacrifice to pay for sins. So he forgives the sins of those who have faith in his blood. God did all of that to prove that he is fair. Because of his mercy he did not punish people for the sins they had committed before Jesus died for them. 26 God did that to prove in our own time that he is fair. He proved that he is right. He also made right with himself those who believe in Jesus." NIrV

Roman 3:27, "Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith." NASB

Romans 3:28, "We firmly believe that people are made right with God because of their faith. They are not saved by obeying the law." NIrV

Romans 3:29, 30, 31c, "After all, is God the God of the Jews only? Isn’t he also the God of the Gentiles? Of course he is. 30 There is only one God, and he makes people right with himself only by faith, whether they are Jews or Gentiles. 31 Well then, if we emphasize faith, does this mean that we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law." NLT

Romans 3:20 clarifies how the law is fulfilled / established / Confirms / aids the standing - purpose (of Torah Law) which is verified in Romans chapters 7, 9, and 10

"For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are." Romans 3:20 NIrV

Abraham - was he made righteous in God's sight by not eating pork - when was he made righteous – before circumcision or after?

Answer – before the Moses Law ever came. The Law was to lead people to their need for a savior, not to keep folks tied up with fear of breaking the mechanical aspects of Moses’ Law.

After all, a Gefilte Fish, lettuce, and tomato sandwich is not too appealing… but if one’s conscience wishes to not eat pork, no condemnation from me – go ahead and enjoy! I respect that. Keep the Saturn’s day Sabbath too – with blessings. No problem.

But if a person thinks eating pork (bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich) will send you to hell –and not doing a mandatory Saturn’s day rest ensures one’s eternal d-mnation, then we have a problem.

That is how the law exposes what true sin is within the deceptive heart of human beings…

1 John 1:9
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
But if a person thinks eating pork (bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich) will send you to hell – then we have a problem.
I think we all, including Gman, agree with this.
Where we disagree, is with Gman's saying that eating bacon is a sin for believers today.
As I've been saying all along, if Gman doesn't want to eat pork, that's a matter of conscience. And if someone wants to eat pork, that's also a matter of conscience.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:Here G. I fixed it for you:
Remember amigo... I told you that the Bible never told us we shouldn't eat pork.. We who eat pork, eat it out of faith.
:D
Or you could just fix it by telling him to speak for himself. HE may choose not to, but who is this "we" he's talking about? As you said just above, it's a matter of conscience. The real sin in all of this is for him to impose his conscience on us, implying the "we" includes me, you, Kurieuo, and everyone else.

I've just come to the conclusion that, so long as Gman is with us, then for unity's sake, we should assume the more charitable position of taking him to be a brother of weaker conscience. If he wishes to push his point beyond himself and try to bind others to the law, then he will be guilty of the Galatian heresy and will have cut himself off from Christ. But for his own life? Let him cherry pick which laws he wants to keep for his own conscience's sake, so long as he does not impose that on anyone else.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.