A goldfish analogy

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
CazPerth
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

A goldfish analogy

Post by CazPerth »

I've been reading a lot of articles and listening to quite a few podcasts on the Intelligent Design Vs Evolution Vs Creation debate (I used to be an atheist but switched to agnostic then became Christian). I've come to the conclusion that the atheistic position is mostly that there is no "proof" of God, whilst they claim evolution is perfectly rational in spite of the odds against "something" coming from "nothing". However, what they are mostly saying is that they refuse to acknowledge the possibility of a being with apparent supernatural abilities because it just does not make sense in light of what they can observe.

Well, similarly, I doubt that the goldfish in our pond can conceptualize my reality; that I live out of water, have opposable thumbs with which to create things, drive a car, have a special relationship with the cats that poach them and worse, I actually have the power of life and death over them! However, I choose not to reveal myself to the Goldfish, even though I feed them (manna from heaven?) so they don't really know any better. Does that mean I do not exist? No, it just means that goldfish have a limited ability to conceptualize my existence.

Thus is the human ability to conceptualize God's being. He makes foolish our wisdom.

God Bless
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male

Re: A goldfish analogy

Post by Silvertusk »

CazPerth wrote:I've been reading a lot of articles and listening to quite a few podcasts on the Intelligent Design Vs Evolution Vs Creation debate (I used to be an atheist but switched to agnostic then became Christian). I've come to the conclusion that the atheistic position is mostly that there is no "proof" of God, whilst they claim evolution is perfectly rational in spite of the odds against "something" coming from "nothing". However, what they are mostly saying is that they refuse to acknowledge the possibility of a being with apparent supernatural abilities because it just does not make sense in light of what they can observe.

Well, similarly, I doubt that the goldfish in our pond can conceptualize my reality; that I live out of water, have opposable thumbs with which to create things, drive a car, have a special relationship with the cats that poach them and worse, I actually have the power of life and death over them! However, I choose not to reveal myself to the Goldfish, even though I feed them (manna from heaven?) so they don't really know any better. Does that mean I do not exist? No, it just means that goldfish have a limited ability to conceptualize my existence.

Thus is the human ability to conceptualize God's being. He makes foolish our wisdom.

God Bless

Nice analogy.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Well said.
What is natural is subjective, what is "supernatural" is also subjective.
It is silly to believe that our understanding of the universe as it is RIGHT NOW is complete and that it is perfect and that we know all there is to know about how the universe works.
What we may deem "supernatural" today may be viewed as natural 500 years from now.
In 1513, if a man came to you and said that humans could fly to the moon and back, that we could "sky dive" and land safely, that we could create life in a woman's womb without her having sex, that we could harness the power of the sun, that we could take a rock and with another element create a force so powerful it can destroy a whole city, what would he have thought?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hope you don't mind but I posted your analogy to my facebook page, brilliant, love it.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
CazPerth
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by CazPerth »

No worries, DanielTwentyTwo, I put it on my Facebook page too. Some replies from atheist friends got bogged down in the actual goldfish, as expected, but I hope they take away something from it.