Archeological find from King David's era...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Archeological find from King David's era...

Post by DRDS »

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/ ... p=trending

Again, these great finds just keep coming in. :D I really hope they can get the political things sorted out enough to allow this to be confirmed or not.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Archeological find from King David's era...

Post by Silvertusk »

DRDS wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/ ... p=trending

Again, these great finds just keep coming in. :D I really hope they can get the political things sorted out enough to allow this to be confirmed or not.

Fascinating. Thanks for the link.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Archeological find from King David's era...

Post by PeteSinCA »

Interesting indeed! One thing I think many folk do not understand re archaeology in the Middle East is the impact of ~2 1/2 millennia of wars and conquests. From the time of Hezekiah (and working from my imperfect memory) the neighborhood of Jerusalem was overrun/conquered by the Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians (?), Greeks (the wars between the Antiochus dynasty and the Ptolemaic dynasty, as well as the Maccabees period), the Parthians (?), the Romans (possibly reconquering from the Parthians, definitely in ~69-71AD), the Arabs, the Crusades, the Turks, WW1 (?), the Israeli-Arab wars (some or all of 1948, 1956 and 1967). That is a lot of destruction! Our knowledge of ancient times in that area has a lot of gaps (or maybe what we know is gaps in our general lack of knowledge)!

Re the politics complicating this particular find, the article mentions one aspect - that the pillar is on land owned by an Arab-Pali ("Palestinian", AFAIK and as currently used, is an identity created in the 1950s or 1960s for propaganda purposes; it was not in usage when the British ruled the area between WW1 and WW2, nor when the area was ruled by Turks of the Ottoman Empire prior to WW1) and in an area controlled by the Palestinian Authority. Another is the apparent fact that at least some Arab Palis destroy ancient artifacts that demonstrate Jewish presence in the land to support an utter denial of Jews' historical ties to the land.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts