Oh no not another Trinity Thread!!!

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Oh no not another Trinity Thread!!!

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Ok I have some questions regarding the Holy Trinity.

To give some background I have been talking with a Jewish man about why they reject the concept of the Trinity, he says that 1. God is fully knowable and there is no mystery to him (I can't remember the verse he quoted) 2. God is not divisible Deuteronomy 6:4-7 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

The first part was easy because we call the the trinity the mystery of our faith he said that God is not mysterious and is fully knowable, my response was that we call it a mystery in the same way we call a mystery novel a mystery but once we have read the novel is no longer a mystery.

He accepted that part and we moved on.

The second part is more difficult, if the verse means that God is one (not divisible) then how do we explain the trinity in a way that does not make it divisible because my attempts so far have failed.
I am not even sure that this verse is even saying that God is indivisible, to me it says God is one (meaning there is only one God not many).

He says if the Father is not the same as the Son then you can draw a line between them and this makes God divisible, if we claim that we don't fully understand then God is a mystery and not fully knowable.

So how do I explain the trinity without making God indivisible?

Is God indivisible according to Duet 6:4 ?

If you need any further information please let me know.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Oh no not another Trinity Thread!!!

Post by PeteSinCA »

Some quick thoughts before heading off to the gym (working on the "less of me" part of "more of Jesus, less of me" :mrgreen: ). God is not fully knowable, if only because He is the Creator and we are creatures. God has revealed much of Who He is in His word (and some is inferrable from creation), but human language is limited, as is human understanding. How Father, Son and the Holy Spirit an be distinct persons, yet one God I do not understand. What I do know is that that is how God revealed Himself in Scripture (Old and New Testament, as we call His revelations). Like you, I understand that passage in Deuteronomy to mean that there is but one God: unlike in Egypt, which Israel had just left; unlike the Canaanites, whose land Israel was about to conquer.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Here is the thing about God, if he "can't" be something then He is not God, is He?

If God can't be divisible ( whatever that means) He is not God because, if a being that exists CAN be divisible then that being can do something God can't and as such, God is can't be viewed as God anymore.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:2. God is not divisible Deuteronomy 6:4-7 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
In Hebrew, Dt 6:4 reads,

Shema Yisrael, Yehovah (YHWH) Eloheinu, Yehovah (YHWH) Ehad. Religious Jews do not write out ''God'' (prefering ''G-d''). Religious Jews will not even say the word YHWH. When spoken, Dt. 6:4 is ''Shema Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Ehad.'' The word Adonai means ''Lord.''

Now, both Adonai and Eloheinu use plural forms of the Hebrew words Lord and God. A-HA!

Tell this to your Jewish friend and ask him for an explanation. Give him time to consult his Rabbi. (I already know the answer he'll give you but we really should go through the whole exercise for his sake.)

BTW, check out B.W.'s thread entitled The Old Testament Concept of God in the Christian Theology Forum. He's has done a great job there so you should check it out. (Maybe some smart moderator could provide a direct link to B.W.'s thread?)

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

FL, I checked around, and none of the smart moderators were available. So I decided to post the link myself. :shock:

The Old Testament Concept of God
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

RickD wrote:FL, I checked around, and none of the smart moderators were available. So I decided to post the link myself. :shock:

I was around......... Oh I see what you mean... :roll:
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

PaulSacramento wrote:Here is the thing about God, if he "can't" be something then He is not God, is He?

If God can't be divisible ( whatever that means) He is not God because, if a being that exists CAN be divisible then that being can do something God can't and as such, God is can't be viewed as God anymore.
Love it. Never thought of that.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Thanks Guys looking over it now.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:2. God is not divisible Deuteronomy 6:4-7 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
In Hebrew, Dt 6:4 reads,

Shema Yisrael, Yehovah (YHWH) Eloheinu, Yehovah (YHWH) Ehad. Religious Jews do not write out ''God'' (prefering ''G-d''). Religious Jews will not even say the word YHWH. When spoken, Dt. 6:4 is ''Shema Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Ehad.'' The word Adonai means ''Lord.''

Now, both Adonai and Eloheinu use plural forms of the Hebrew words Lord and God. A-HA!

Tell this to your Jewish friend and ask him for an explanation. Give him time to consult his Rabbi. (I already know the answer he'll give you but we really should go through the whole exercise for his sake.)

BTW, check out B.W.'s thread entitled The Old Testament Concept of God in the Christian Theology Forum. He's has done a great job there so you should check it out. (Maybe some smart moderator could provide a direct link to B.W.'s thread?)

FL

I have asked and waiting for a reply, while that is happening I will read BW'S thread.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:FL, I checked around, and none of the smart moderators were available. So I decided to post the link myself. :shock:

I was around......... Oh I see what you mean... :roll:
:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:In Hebrew, Dt 6:4 reads,

Now, both Adonai and Eloheinu use plural forms of the Hebrew words Lord and God.
In our Bibles, the singular form of the word ''God'' can be seen in Jesus' last words, Mt 27:46. Here, Jesus is speaking directly with the Father.

Another thing: as a general rule, Jews do not read the Bible. They read rabbinical commentaries and breviaries. If you can get your Jewish friend to open a Bible and read it, great! you will be rewarded for this in heaven, I'm sure. Also, don't expect a sudden acceptance of Jesus as Lord. It may come...but pride and the shameful ''Christian'' history towards the Jews will - more than likely - make your undertaking an uphill battle. May God be with you.

FL

:pound: Good boy! You're a good boy! God will reward you with two more Talents!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I was on vacation past two weeks and just returned today - glad to see Rick doing something :lol:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Well I got a response, he rejects the plural use of the words, he cannot provide an explanation why the text should be interpreted as such even in light of the context I provided he just kept asserting that is the interpretation. Even if the correct interpretation is one it is still divisible, divide one by 3 and you get .33333333333333333333333333 off into infinity :shock: does this mean God is infinite!!

Anyway all he has are assertions, it was a bit like talking to alter2ego. I guess there is no point in continuing with him as I feel like I am trying to reason with a brick wall.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I don't have access to the internet right now except from my phone so I can't post much. Suffice it to say your friend is right that God is not divisible, and I wouldn't accept the argument based on plural nouns fit the Trinity either. Google "divine simplicity and the Trinity" for how Christians have traditionally answered this question. I also give a detailed answer in my thesis available on my blog. Link is in sig.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

Just. WOW!

Thanks B.W. and Rick! That is a LOT to chew on!
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts