Question about how protestants view virgins

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Question about how protestants view virgins

Post by cubeus19 »

Hi everyone, long time no see, I have a question concerning virgins like myself and others like me. Do protestants believe that God views such people as special, innocent, and holy much like how Catholics view them or do Protestants generally view them as well, lame, weak, stupid, un manly and so forth?

I know many secular people love to make fun of such people and I wonder if many Protestants like to do the same and if they do, do they have any biblical or doctrinal justification in doing so? Just curious as to what Protestants and mainline non Catholic Christianity thinks about this topic and wonder what if anything good or bad that God may think of such people? Thanks for your time.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Question about how protestants view virgins

Post by Silvertusk »

To be honest mate I wish I held off till I got married, looking back so I do applaud you.
cubeus19
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by cubeus19 »

Thanks mate
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

At least from what I've seen, you will get a mixed bag with how various denominations/churches view virginity. I think most churches will teach that sex outside marriage is a sin, but how much emphasis they place on it will vary greatly, as well as how much virginity is talked about. I can't comment on each groups' exact theological views on the subject, but like I said you would probably have to check with each individually to see their views.

Though I'm pretty sure I can say without a doubt that no "real" church is going to mock virgins...I just don't see how that makes sense.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If a person chooses to remain a virgin, it is a commendable thing because, well, it isn't easy !
That said, WHY a person chooses to be a virgin is important and I don't mean the "superficial" reason but the REAL reason.
I have come across enough people of BOTH genders that their REAL reasons from being virgins are different than "religious" reasons they profess.
EX:
Sex isn't that important.
If you give it away, it has no value.
Sex is only for marriage because if he gets it, he'll never marry you
Etc...