Questions I received from Prison...

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
zacchaeus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Questions I received from Prison...

Post by zacchaeus »

Q: 1. The sufferings which Christians in smyrna were called upon to endure are summed up in the words, "... behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried: and ye shall have tribulation ten days."

Throughout my study on this verse I have encountered numerous interpretations concerning the ten days of suffering in Rev 2:10. Some expositors have called attention to the ten periods of Roman persecution during the first three centuries of the church's existence and have sought to establish a correlation between the ten days in this verse and these ten periods in church history, making each day represent a period of time. Other expositors have sought to apply the ten days to a ten-year persecution during one of these periods, making each day represent on year. Still other expositors have taken the number "ten" as symbolic, representing a limited but undefined period, usually within the larger period covered by the ten persecutions. All of these interpretations are withing the historical framework of the church. In this study I am also considering the numerical value of the number Ten as it is depicted in scripture. For example, In Gen 24:10, Abraham's servant had in his possession "ten camels" laden with his masters goods, and the scripture specifically states that "all the goods of his master were in his hands". Ten showing ordinal completion (all the goods of his master, carried by ten camels), as in the parable of the ten virgins and the parable of Pounds. Thus, the significance of the number "ten" i think must be taken into account. "Ten", then, being the number of ordinal completion, should I be looking at it as pointing to all the days of tribulation? The thought encompassing beyond the last Roman Empire persecutions of the Church. What is your understandings? Thanks...

(This is the first question of many in a series I will post, in efforts to help this man serving life in prison in Daytona- He was an extreme muslim with dedication and absolute obedience, before reading and studying the Qur'an which as led Him to Christ... He is now a born again Christian with sound theology, very smart, very wise, and deserves some time in response to his questions. We have a ministry that goes every year to the prison to teach and minister the Gospel, and out of respect and reverence- he took in consideration the congregation and limited time allotted to other inmates to ask his questions in writing. Thank you all in advance- what an amazing testimony this guy has, would be awesome for one day if he could share it).
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Questions I received from Prison...

Post by B. W. »

zacchaeus wrote:Q: 1. The sufferings which Christians in smyrna were called upon to endure are summed up in the words, "... behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried: and ye shall have tribulation ten days."

Throughout my study on this verse I have encountered numerous interpretations concerning the ten days of suffering in Rev 2:10. Some expositors have called attention to the ten periods of Roman persecution during the first three centuries of the church's existence and have sought to establish a correlation between the ten days in this verse and these ten periods in church history, making each day represent a period of time. Other expositors have sought to apply the ten days to a ten-year persecution during one of these periods, making each day represent on year. Still other expositors have taken the number "ten" as symbolic, representing a limited but undefined period, usually within the larger period covered by the ten persecutions. All of these interpretations are withing the historical framework of the church. In this study I am also considering the numerical value of the number Ten as it is depicted in scripture. For example, In Gen 24:10, Abraham's servant had in his possession "ten camels" laden with his masters goods, and the scripture specifically states that "all the goods of his master were in his hands". Ten showing ordinal completion (all the goods of his master, carried by ten camels), as in the parable of the ten virgins and the parable of Pounds. Thus, the significance of the number "ten" i think must be taken into account. "Ten", then, being the number of ordinal completion, should I be looking at it as pointing to all the days of tribulation? The thought encompassing beyond the last Roman Empire persecutions of the Church. What is your understandings? Thanks...

(This is the first question of many in a series I will post, in efforts to help this man serving life in prison in Daytona- He was an extreme muslim with dedication and absolute obedience, before reading and studying the Qur'an which as led Him to Christ... He is now a born again Christian with sound theology, very smart, very wise, and deserves some time in response to his questions. We have a ministry that goes every year to the prison to teach and minister the Gospel, and out of respect and reverence- he took in consideration the congregation and limited time allotted to other inmates to ask his questions in writing. Thank you all in advance- what an amazing testimony this guy has, would be awesome for one day if he could share it).
I honestly do not know what the 10 days mean in Rev 2:10. I heard, like you have, all the proposed meanings but haven't come to any conclusion. The number 10 does symbolize something that connects to other places in the bible. Maybe connecting these will help uncover the meaning. The one hypothesis that makes the most sense to me is that the 10 days represent distinct eras of persecution that the State (Government) sponsors war against believers in Christ. This is alleged because of the context of 'being cast into prison' would involve a hostile form of Government to implement. This the last era would then conceivably cover the book of Revelation period before the New Heavens and Earth come into being. I do not know if there were 5 or 9 eras in history of this state sponsored terrorism against Christians or how you would go about counting them...

If you have more insight - please help the rest of us as it presents an intriguing line of thought :reading:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys