Personal Responsibility, etc.

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Personal Responsibility, etc.

Post by ultimate777 »

I have had a number of "adventures" here. I think they may largely due to the fact that I think personal responsibility is overrated and most people here do not. And I think that there may be things not so in the Bible and most people here do not. I do not claim I am infallible on either topic and I hope no one else here does either.

As far as personal responsibility is concerned, I think there are so many outside factors that we do not control what we do as much as many people think we do.

As far as the Bible is concerned, for starters, I doubt that the world was created like Genesis said it was. I think God created it, but over a much longer time and as for living things, by the dreaded E-Word :esurprised: Things in my threads have often gotten nasty and I am going to try to prevent that, maybe even by ignoring some things that make my blood boil.

If you want to ignore this thread, I guess I can't complain :ewink:
cnk12
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Personal Responsibility, etc.

Post by cnk12 »

As far as I know, there is a lot of debate over the literary genre(s) of Genesis, such that it is a point of contention among Christians. Why not look past it and agree to love God and each other like He tells us to. It doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to be gained by worrying about how someone else interprets Genesis when there's so much to be united in.

I agree there are many factors that can influence behavior, but ultimately, without some form of mental illness, I think the individual makes the final decision. Personally, I feel responsible for all my choices, and that I have free will. Is that what we're talking about here?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:I have had a number of "adventures" here. I think they may largely due to the fact that I think personal responsibility is overrated and most people here do not. And I think that there may be things not so in the Bible and most people here do not. I do not claim I am infallible on either topic and I hope no one else here does either.

As far as personal responsibility is concerned, I think there are so many outside factors that we do not control what we do as much as many people think we do.

As far as the Bible is concerned, for starters, I doubt that the world was created like Genesis said it was. I think God created it, but over a much longer time and as for living things, by the dreaded E-Word :esurprised: Things in my threads have often gotten nasty and I am going to try to prevent that, maybe even by ignoring some things that make my blood boil.

Ultimate777,

You posted this in "Questions for Christians". What is your question?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:I have had a number of "adventures" here. I think they may largely due to the fact that I think personal responsibility is overrated and most people here do not. And I think that there may be things not so in the Bible and most people here do not. I do not claim I am infallible on either topic and I hope no one else here does either.

Ultimate777,

I am giving this a much better reply than it deserves.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

cnk12 wrote:As far as I know, there is a lot of debate over the literary genre(s) of Genesis, such that it is a point of contention among Christians. Why not look past it and agree to love God and each other like He tells us to. It doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to be gained by worrying about how someone else interprets Genesis when there's so much to be united in.

I agree there are many factors that can influence behavior, but ultimately, without some form of mental illness, I think the individual makes the final decision. Personally, I feel responsible for all my choices, and that I have free will. Is that what we're talking about here?
About Genesis I think you are right, but I wonder how many here would agree with that?

I am going to make a statement about personal responsibility. It will likely be unclear, but its the best I can do.

I think how we react to things is pre-destined if they happen to us. What is not pre-destined is whether they will happen to us. If a thrown rock hits you just so as you walk some night, for instance, you are pre-destined to react to it a certain way. It is not pre-destined whether or not a rock will ever hit you.
cnk12
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cnk12 »

About Genesis I think you are right, but I wonder how many here would agree with that?
Ultimately, I know that world's best scholars can't agree on Genesis. However to someone as dumb as I am, it doesn't read like an actual account of an all powerful God's acts of creation. It's more like a "story" written to illustrate the awesome power of God. If God is stands outside the dimension of time, it doesn't seem like it would matter to Him if it took a few billion years for things to develop. I don't think there's many, if any, that can say they know for sure.
I think how we react to things is pre-destined if they happen to us. What is not pre-destined is whether they will happen to us. If a thrown rock hits you just so as you walk some night, for instance, you are pre-destined to react to it a certain way. It is not pre-destined whether or not a rock will ever hit you.
I can only speak for myself, but I think I could react any number of different ways to being hit by said rock; for example if it happened to me as I was leaving my girl after just having fallen madly in love, I'd might tend forgive the rock thrower and try to make peace, because I was feeling so happy about everything. If I were coming from a nasty argument with said girl, I would probably react differently. The only thing I'd do every time is say "Ouch!"
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ultimate777,

You should be ashamed actually. Its rude and totally uncalled for. Get off of your high horse and your holier than thou attitude. You should be temporarily banned, if not perma-ban, for your repeated, complete disregard and lack of courtesy to others, in this case a mod who in fact asked you politely. Its your post, do a good job and explain what is the question is, because I can't see it either.

And if things have gone bad in your threads then its probably because you are making them that way. And if your blood boils on that, deal with it, we're not here to make you feel good.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

neo-x wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ultimate777,

You should be ashamed actually. Its rude and totally uncalled for. Get off of your high horse and your holier than thou attitude. You should be temporarily banned, if not perma-ban, for your repeated, complete disregard and lack of courtesy to others, in this case a mod who in fact asked you politely. Its your post, do a good job and explain what is the question is, because I can't see it either.

And if things have gone bad in your threads then its probably because you are making them that way. And if your blood boils on that, deal with it, we're not here to make you feel good.
I just want you to know I did read your post.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

cnk12 wrote:
Ultimately, I know that world's best scholars can't agree on Genesis. However to someone as dumb as I am, it doesn't read like an actual account of an all powerful God's acts of creation. It's more like a "story" written to illustrate the awesome power of God. If God is stands outside the dimension of time, it doesn't seem like it would matter to Him if it took a few billion years for things to develop. I don't think there's many, if any, that can say they know for sure.

A lot of people think lots of things in the Bible are like that even such things as Jesus being born in Bethlehem instead of Nazareth.
I can only speak for myself, but I think I could react any number of different ways to being hit by said rock; for example if it happened to me as I was leaving my girl after just having fallen madly in love, I'd might tend forgive the rock thrower and try to make peace, because I was feeling so happy about everything. If I were coming from a nasty argument with said girl, I would probably react differently. The only thing I'd do every time is say "Ouch!"
I think there are an infinite number of factors that could happen to cause your reaction. Am I clear? :esmile:
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

ultimate777 wrote:
neo-x wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ultimate777,

I just want you to know I did read your post.
Appropriate.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

I have been told I should have put a question here. Okay, what do you all think about my statements?

Does that do it?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

That's fine ultimate777. :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:That's fine ultimate777. :D
Thank you very much. I will try not to forget this. If these are the rules, if they are meant to be taken seriously, and I can remember this whenever I really need to, no problem, RickD :ewink:

Nothing wrong if people respond to my post, as revised. :clap: