Was God afraid of man?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FallenFromGrace
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Was God afraid of man?

Post by FallenFromGrace »

GOD Almighty is afraid:

Genesis 11:1-9
The Tower of Babel
1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech.
2 As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.
3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar.
4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building.
6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.
7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
8 So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city.
9 That is why it was called Babel —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

There few important points to mention here:

1-GOD who feared men, but they also reveal a very serious scientific blunder through suggesting that the earth is both flat and sitting still in the universe.

2- The verses also demonstrate the Bible's gross ignorance about the Universe. Even if the Babylonians were able to build a sky scrapper, as we have hundreds, if not thousands, of them today worldwide, that went beyond the clouds, then how would that be of any threat to God?
Genesis 11 is also is ignorant about lack of Oxygen in space, the vastness of space and the impossibility to reach GOD Almighty, and the impossibility to reach outer space without space protection. Otherwise, your body would burst! Plus, again, you would suffocate to death anyway due to the lack of oxygen.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Was God afraid of man?

Post by PeteSinCA »

FallenFromGrace wrote:GOD Almighty is afraid:
There few important points to mention here:

1-GOD who feared men, but they also reveal a very serious scientific blunder through suggesting that the earth is both flat and sitting still in the universe.

2- The verses also demonstrate the Bible's gross ignorance about the Universe. Even if the Babylonians were able to build a sky scrapper, as we have hundreds, if not thousands, of them today worldwide, that went beyond the clouds, then how would that be of any threat to God?
Genesis 11 is also is ignorant about lack of Oxygen in space, the vastness of space and the impossibility to reach GOD Almighty, and the impossibility to reach outer space without space protection. Otherwise, your body would burst! Plus, again, you would suffocate to death anyway due to the lack of oxygen.
1.) God feared men? Where does this text state that?

2.) Where does this text state that what the Babylonians were doing was perceived by God as a threat?

3.) Regarding supposed ignorance of oxygen, outer space, the ones who were ignorant of such things - if anyone - were the Babylonians: "Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens ..." (my emphasis).

Your post reads a lot into ("eisegesis") this passage in Genesis that simply is not there: God feared the Babylonians; God felt threatened by the Babylonians; the Babylonians were trying to build to reach God. Exegesis - examining and talking about what actually is in the text (and its broader context) - is more likely to lead to at least some understanding the text.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts