New cosmological model

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

New cosmological model

Post by cubeus19 »

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/41 ... -universe/

Anyone seen this yet and are they on to anything with this new model? I mean, does it look like the evidence support it???? And will this have any major implications to the arguments and evidences for God's existence? Thanks.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: New cosmological model

Post by Ivellious »

This looks extremely premature. Like it says in the article, the cosmic microwave background is totally unexplained by this model (whereas the big bang model predicts it perfectly). It's true that big bang cosmology doesn't explain everything currently, but this one has just as many, if not more, holes to fill in.

I won't discount this entirely, but for now I need to see much more evidence to consider this a big deal. Plus, I'd like to see what other physicists think of this, not just the guy/team that came up with it.

As for God, it is interesting that this model apparently is very clear that the universe has no beginning or end at all, which I've noticed is not a concept taken well by Christianity in general.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:
As for God, it is interesting that this model apparently is very clear that the universe has no beginning or end at all, which I've noticed is not a concept taken well by Christianity in general.
It's not a concept taken well by common sense either. In this model, the universe is God.

This model will be tossed in the trash heap soon enough.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

I second that notion Rick.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Just as a side point, it's interesting to note that at quantum levels, most of the things don't make sense.

Just a few days back, scientists were able to teleport an atom inside a physical chip.
A team of University of Queensland physicists has transmitted an atom from one location to another inside an electronic chip.
The team, which includes Dr Arkady Fedorov and Dr Matthias Baur from UQ's ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems and the School of Mathematics and Physics, published its findings in Nature.
Dr Fedorov said the team had achieved quantum teleportation for the first time, which could lead to larger electronic networks and more functional electronic chips.
“This is a process by which quantum information can be transmitted from one place to another without sending a physical carrier of information,” Dr Fedorov said.
“In this process the information just appears at the destination, almost like teleportation used in the famous science fiction series Star Trek.”
Dr Fedorov said the key resource of quantum teleportation was a special type of correlation, called entanglement, shared between a sender and a receiver.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Even if this is true it still does not say anything about the existence of a creator, even if the universe is proven to expand and contract this does not mean it did not have a start point at some time in the long distant past.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.