Eyeless fish disprove intelligent design?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Eyeless fish disprove intelligent design?

Post by Silvertusk »

I feel you mock me. :esad:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:I feel you mock me. :esad:
Mock, no!!!

Mocking to me, kinda shows a disrespect. No disrespect intended. Just playing around. More like playful teasing.
Sorry if it came of as mocking. It's just my sarcastic sense of humor. y>:D<
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

That's pretty sad Neo. You throw away the creation story in Genesis because you think the only way to interpret it is through a YEC lens. So since you think YEC is wrong, then you're forcing yourself to reject scripture.

Neo, God wrote scripture. God created the universe. There's no contradiction between scripture and nature. Tbh, you are the first person I've met, with as much intelligence as you have, that calls himself a believer yet rejects (parts of) scripture because it doesn't match up with your worldview(evolutionary). You're taking yourself down a dangerous road Neo.
I am just being consistent Rick. I can't say Genesis one is not literal about the order of days or what came first but also literal when it mentions adam. That does not make sense. I'm just trying to be honest. I can't pick n choose from within the story, parts I like and parts I don't. The more I have thought about it, the more I have realized that there was no reason to use yom as ages. And I agree with Jac on that point. The story is yec because the later authors kept referencing it the same way, that adds support Rick.

The thing is I only reject the story as literal. I think its a made up story, adam and eve may be being the original clan leaders which started the later hebrew line. But I can't in good conscience say they were first humans. We know they weren't.

I am sorry if I have been the cause of sadness. I am quite troubled myself at times on things you like hinted, being on the dangerous road etc. But I must go with what makes sense. I can't cheat myself out of the honesty of my intentions and arguments. I can't believe what I don't find true.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Baltazorg
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Baltazorg »

One thing that does confuse me is if we have the bones of some of the earliest humans does that mean that we originated from several thousand people?
y:-?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Yes indeed, modern humans did not descend from a single couple but a population of several hundreds of hominids.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Baltazorg
Familiar Member

Post by Baltazorg »

How could you possibly reconcile a belief in human evolution with what the bible says about Adam and Eve, if you want to make them allegory Neo you need to provide evidence the bible treats them as so, this is one extremely difficult problem for theistic evolutionists that I think needs to be addressed by them.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Baltazorg wrote:How could you possibly reconcile a belief in human evolution with what the bible says about Adam and Eve, if you want to make them allegory Neo you need to provide evidence the bible treats them as so, this is one extremely difficult problem for theistic evolutionists that I think needs to be addressed by them.
I don't treat them as allegorical at all, I treat them as made up stories with important lessons and I understand the need of this story. I think the writers believed the story to the tittle with a YEC belief. The bible treats them as literal, quite literal actually as far as Adam and Eve are concerned.

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Neo wrote:
I don't treat them as allegorical at all, I treat them as made up stories with important lessons and I understand the need of this story.
Neo, you just defined allegory. :lol:
allegory:
Date: 14th century
1 : the expression by means of fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence ; also : an instance (as in a story or painting) of such expression 2 : a symbolic representation : emblem
http://i.word.com/idictionary/allegory
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Rick, an allegory is a story which the writers know, is fiction. If the writer writes the story as factual, then it can't be allegory at all.

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Neo wrote:
I don't treat them as allegorical at all, I treat them as made up stories with important lessons and I understand the need of this story.
neo-x wrote:Rick, an allegory is a story which the writers know, is fiction. If the writer writes the story as factual, then it can't be allegory at all.

I got it now. The stories weren't written as fiction, they were just 'made up'. :shock: :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
Neo wrote:
neo-x wrote:Rick, an allegory is a story which the writers know, is fiction. If the writer writes the story as factual, then it can't be allegory at all.

I got it now. The stories weren't written as fiction, they were just 'made up'. :shock: :pound:
Rick, ur kidding right? The stories were fiction but not to the writers, they must have heard these stories through oral traditions, they thought it was real.

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:
Neo wrote:

Rick, ur kidding right? The stories were fiction but not to the writers, they must have heard these stories through oral traditions, they thought it was real.
Neo, you're kidding, right? If the writers believed what they wrote was real, then it's non-fiction they wrote. Fiction in written form, is something the writer knows is not real.

So let me see if I understand you...

The writers inspired by the Holy Spirit, wrote something they believed was real. But you, looking at scripture through your evolutionary 'lens', decide that it's not really real? So, did the HS deceive the writer? Or maybe, the Holy Spirit thought it was real too, because the HS didn't have the latest evolutionary beliefs at His disposal?

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The writers inspired by the Holy Spirit, wrote something they believed was real. But you, looking at scripture through your evolutionary 'lens', decide that it's not really real? So, did the HS deceive the writer? Or maybe, the Holy Spirit thought it was real too, because the HS didn't have the latest evolutionary beliefs at His disposal?
I think that the writers were still human, regardless of their inspiration and to demand perfection form them is not correct.
God created all and it was good, but not perfect and it was/is in need of redemption and if God created the world and it is in need of redemption, why is the bible any different?
Is the bible MORE than the world created by God?

Was this writer inspired when he said this?
5 For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten. 6 Indeed their love, their hate and their zeal have already perished, and they will no longer have a share in all that is done under the sun.

7 Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works. 8 Let your clothes be white all the time, and let not oil be lacking on your head. 9 Enjoy life with the woman whom you love all the days of your fleeting life which He has given to you under the sun; for this is your reward in life and in your toil in which you have labored under the sun.
If so why did he not know of God's grace? Of living in the spirit with God? or anything of "life after death" or "life after lifer after death"?
ryanbouma
Established Member

Post by ryanbouma »

PaulSacramento wrote:
If so why did he not know of God's grace? Of living in the spirit with God? or anything of "life after death" or "life after lifer after death"?
I read that verse to mean the life of the dead body. The writer isn't referring to what happens in the afterlife, but what happens "under the sun". The dead are dead. The living are alive.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:
Neo wrote:

Neo, you're kidding, right? If the writers believed what they wrote was real, then it's non-fiction they wrote. Fiction in written form, is something the writer knows is not real.

So let me see if I understand you...

You know, its okay. I can't teach you something you don't want to learn. And I don't think you will learn as long as you guys are getting your science lessons from your favorite pastors.

You should rename this forum 'god and creation science' because that would be accurate.

without.