Can I get some help?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Can I get some help?

Post by WannaLearn »

All of this is according to the writings of humans. At best all we could say with any degree of certainty is that Jesus was crucified for sedition. That's it,,that's all. Anything else is an unsupported assertion, and almost certainly filler added by the authors of the gospels. Regarding the book of Job it simply shows the conviction of Job's faith in an immoral God.

y:-/ What do I say to this guy?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Can I get some help?

Post by Jac3510 »

You can say a lot more than that. Even if we accept the blantantly false statement that all we can say about Jesus is that He was crucified for sedition, we can still ask, "And where did His first followers get the idea He was God? Where did they get the idea that their sins were forgiven in His sacrifice, and that they were no longer under the Law"?

Point anyone who asks such silly questions to N.T. Wright's excellent (though laborious) work, The Resurrection of the Son of God. John Dickson (a historian by training) has some popular level books on the historicity of Jesus. Somewhere betwen those two works in terms of scholarly depth is Jesus Under Fire, edited by J. P. Moreland and Michael Wilkins.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
cnk12
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cnk12 »

As I understand it, the gospels are a historical account of Jesus' ministry, death, & resurrection; selected from a number of writings and taken for the Bible because of their widespread acceptance as the complete truth.

I suppose the reader can choose the degree to which they accept any historical account. For example, I could say the only thing we know for sure about Abraham Lincoln is that he was a tall president, and the rest written about him is unsupported filler. But I think that would be unreasonable in the same way the person making the comment about what we know for sure about Jesus is.

Even most non-Christian Scholars accept that Jesus was crucified for saying He is God, that His body went missing, and that many people went to their death rather than deny seeing Him resurrected.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

A good book on the historicity of Jesus is "Cold Case Christianity" by J Warner Wallace, it goes into great detail about why we can call them historical documents and how the resurrection is supported by the evidence.

J Warner Wallace is a former cold case detective, atheist turned Christian, he uses his skills as a cold case detective to analyze the case for Christ, it is a very interesting read and I learn't heaps about detective work. :egeek:
Regarding the book of Job it simply shows the conviction of Job's faith in an immoral God.
How does the story of Job make God immoral?

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
cnk12
Recognized Member

Post by cnk12 »

I picked up the book you recommended and am really enjoying it. Thanks!