Job

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Seeker
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Job

Post by Seeker »

I have been told that the story of Job proves that the christian God is immoral. Your views on this would be great.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Job

Post by Jac3510 »

I've been told a lot of things. I don't tend to believe them unless I have reason to. What, pray tell, would lead me to believe such an absurd claim?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Seeker
Familiar Member

Post by Seeker »

Job was a just man. Why would God have home suffer just because satin pursued him to. If God had already known what job would have done if suffering struck hi why would God feel the need to yet make him suffer.
Seeker
Familiar Member

Post by Seeker »

*him*
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Why does the fact that God knew how Job would respond to certain trials and tribulations mean that He is somehow obligated to prevent him from going through them?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Seeker
Familiar Member

Post by Seeker »

Well God allowed the tribulations to happen in the first place because Satan told God job would curse his name if he'd let him suffer. God knew he wouldn't have.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

God allows tribulations and He knows that, in the end, everything is going to win, anyway. He knows about all kinds of individual evils that will happen in our lives that won't cause us to lose our faith. I don't see your point, unless you are suggesting that God is morally obligated to prevent suffering. If so, then you're just putting forward the standard Problem of Evil ("How could a good God let bad things happen?"), and that's been answered a million times in a million ways by a million people.

So . . . what is the premise you are working from? Can you make an actual argument rather than just draw an inference and assume the rest of us accept your reasoning? Don't just say, "Job suffered bad staff, ergo, God is bad." Make the argument. How does the conclusion follow from the observation? Make your case, man!
Seeker
Familiar Member

Post by Seeker »

I'm sorry i was just curious on what peoples thoughts were on the subject. I guess i got you thoughts.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by WannaLearn »

I have also been in this discussion recently on you tube with this guy about that same thing. God knew that it would turn out better for job in the end that job would have more than he already did. When you suffer you grow closer to god and you cry out for his help instead of everything's going good and you will whisper to god. you see what i mean? job grew closer to god through this whole thing.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Seeker wrote:I have been told that the story of Job proves that the christian God is immoral. Your views on this would be great.
The story of Job is a tough one but one that has lots of very interesting points about how (ancient)man perceived God and, when WE read it, How we DEEP DOWN perceive God too.
If we approach the story with a bias ( and we ALL do), it is THAT bias that we have the dictates what we get out of that story.
If we believe God to be loving and kind, we get one thing out of that.
If we believe God to be a god of CHOICE we ge tone lesson, if we believe God to be a God of LAWS ( OT) we get a certainlesson, if we believe God to be a God of submission ( Islam), we get another and so forth.

Job is actually a story about US, rather than Job when you look at it.