Evolution - Resource Thread

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Evolution - Resource Thread

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Sorry Neo but I think this thread is just going to be constantly derailed from it intended purpose due to bigotry.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Yikes, things sure escalated quickly from "here are some links discussing the evidence and facts surrounding evolutionary theory" to "this is an evil thread promoting lies." Just goes to show you how much of a hot-button topic this is, I guess...
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I think part of the issue might be that a discussion board is more reserved for well... discussions.

While I'd be happy to respect Neo's intended purpose, it perhaps runs counter to let a member control a thread on a discussion board that has no purpose for discussion.

However, Neo could put a page together, blog or something, where he pools together all these resources. Then create a thread pointing people to it. Or when he thinks someone is just misinformed and clueless about evolution and evidence for it, he could refer people to it.

After all, if everyone who become a member wanted their own "page" on a discussion board to post all their resources, well... there are just better and more appropriate places to do it I think.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Gman wrote:
neo-x wrote:
Call it whatever you may, I really don't mind. And for such a "weak belief" you can't seem to stay away from it either. please, just don't mess the thread up, its a resource thread, you want to debate this "dream/belief" start a new thread. Why do I have to repeat this over and over? Am I asking for something unfair here? Its a very simple request.
Doesn't work that way.. You trash other peoples topics so this is an open topic.

Your belief in marco-evolution is weak... More posts coming.
Really? I guess if you want to post so badly, post away. I can't stop you but seeing you wish to trash or expose this, I sure don't mind now, carry on by all means.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

K, mods, there are plenty of topics where it not unfair to ask people to follow a resource thread. I am not asking for control, what control do i have compared to a mod. I asked for simple courtesy and I 'requested'. There are other threads here which are open for discussion but following the thread author's purpose are left, theophilus' 'back to the bible thread', then sone while back bart wrote a thread about Calvinism in the same way and other members honored the thread. No, I am sure if I was pasting topics on how good Israel is, gman would be promoting it but its the topic that is a problem. On one hand people say its [poop] and lie and weak and then can't stay away from it either. Anyway I was wrong to expect this. I can't stop any member from posting but the problem is many members have obliged me, including you so I am thankful to you for this.

As for anyone who wants to trash a resource thread, be my guest. A new reader will decide whether it was truth or not and whether a resource thread should be trashed or not. Your posts will help him make his decision gman or any other for that matter, so do post. I don't lose sleep over it, i will keep posting evolution resources when i can.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kurieuo wrote:I think part of the issue might be that a discussion board is more reserved for well... discussions.
I agree K but the topic of this thread is Evolution resouce, so if your discussion does not involve providing resources and talking about resources then you are derailing the thread which I might add goes against the forum rules.
While I'd be happy to respect Neo's intended purpose, it perhaps runs counter to let a member control a thread on a discussion board that has no purpose for discussion.
I don't think it does run counter as anything pertaining to the topic of resources can be discussed. If you want to debate particular points about evolution start a new thread.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Dan, Thank you for your support, means a lot. y>:D< don't worry about someone posting now we can't stop anyone and no mod is stepping in to kindly allow a resource thread to not be trashed, I guess no one agrees with a resource thread idea as it is. Anyways, Got to do this with what we have. I made this thread for Christians like me who should not have to browse atheist boards just to get decent links on information. I hope it helps you. It surely helped me.

No hard feelings, guys.

without.

Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Sorry Neo but I think this thread is just going to be constantly derailed from it intended purpose due to bigotry.
That's right we don't promote scientific bigotry here. And your point is? That macro evolution is completely factual as Neo thinks? So prove it. Using observable evidence.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Sorry Neo but I think this thread is just going to be constantly derailed from it intended purpose due to bigotry.
That's right we don't promote scientific bigotry here. And your point is? That macro evolution is completely factual as Neo thinks? So prove it. Using observable evidence.
Prove ID and then we will talk. :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Guys,

First off, evolution is a hot-button issue.

Second,
When someone posts a thread about his belief system that he asserts as a fact, and proceeds to claim the reason why people disagree with this "fact", is because they just don't know enough, there's a problem with this from the get go.

Are there people who argue against something because they don't understand what they're arguing against? Absolutely. And we've all probably been guilty of that at one time or another.

You all know that I believe progressive creationism explains the evidence of nature, better than any other creation stance. But I wouldn't claim PC as a fact. If I wanted to start a thread showing why I believe the evidence points to PC, I would explain my position, and use links as well. I would just say, "this is what progressive creationism teaches..."

If I came on a Christian evolutionist forum, and said PC is a fact, and you evolutionists don't believe the fact of PC because you just don't understand PC, how do you think that would go?

My biggest problem with this whole thread, is that evolution, and all it entails, is being put forward as a fact, not a belief. When one presents his creation stance as 'fact', can't you see the inherent problem with that?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

And also, when we're so adamant about a belief we have, and by being so vocal about our belief, we cause dissension, we need to step back and look to see if the topic is worth the dissension.

And I've been guilty of this myself here, so I'm not singling anyone out. I was so against Calvinism in a thread a while back, that I feel I'm at least partly to blame for August and Zoegirl not being around anymore. And I'm sorry for that. There have been other instances where I probably shouldn't have been so opinionated, but you get my point. :oops:

Is the creation/evolution debate crucial to Christianity? I hope you all would agree that there are believers on all sides of this issue.

Just my 2 cents fwiw.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Look fellas, I am not requesting anything now. I still think what you are saying is not entirely what happened here. I have made no judgment against anyone or faith or idea or theory. Evolution in this thread is not being argued against anything , only resources are given. Frankly I see intolerance but leave my feelings aside. You guys can't accept a simple fact that there are Christians like me and you have shown me no courtesy in this regard. You don't want to debate or discuss this, you want to give it no space, more precisely some of you can't tolerate it, not even as resource links. That hurts me nothing but it shows how much space can be allowed for someone who disagrees with you. And ita not a lot. And I agree with rick on this, being in the minority certainly feels wronged. I am not going to ask you anything more, since this is a moment where 'do unto others as you want others to do unto you.' fits for me.

I am going to keep posting links when I find more, you want to trash, critique, discuss, call it lies, beleif, weak, whatever. No ones stopping you at all, my readers will decide whether its true or false, you can post your opinions, and hope you can convince them, I hope they learn about evolution.

without.

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

neo-x wrote:Look fellas, I am not requesting anything now. I still think what you are saying is not entirely what happened here. I have made no judgment against anyone or faith or idea or theory. Evolution in this thread is not being argued against anything , only resources are given. Frankly I see intolerance but leave my feelings aside. You guys can't accept a simple fact that there are Christians like me and you have shown me no courtesy in this regard. You don't want to debate or discuss this, you want to give it no space, more precisely some of you can't tolerate it, not even as resource links. That hurts me nothing but it shows how much space can be allowed for someone who disagrees with you. And ita not a lot. And I agree with rick on this, being in the minority certainly feels wronged. I am not going to ask you anything more, since this is a moment where 'do unto others as you want others to do unto you.' fits for me.

I am going to keep posting links when I find more, you want to trash, critique, discuss, call it lies, beleif, weak, whatever. No ones stopping you at all, my readers will decide whether its true or false, you can post your opinions, and hope you can convince them, I hope they learn about evolution.
Neo, from an objective point of view (objective in the sense that I haven't contributed much in this thread), while I understand what you're saying and sympathize a great deal, considering I lean towards TE myself, I also can see Rick's point of view that by calling the evidence you're presenting as 'fact' is what is bothering PCers. I think if you tone down the 'factual' posts and stick with evidenciary ones things will go a lot more smoothly.

Just an old-timer's 2 cents (and that's about as much as they're worth :wink: ).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It should be made clear that there are certain things in evolution that are facts, they have been observed and even replicated ( mutation and what can cause it for example) BUT that does NOT mean that ALL of the theory of evolution has been proven to be a fact.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo wrote:
You don't want to debate or discuss this, you want to give it no space, more precisely some of you can't tolerate it, not even as resource links.
How in God's green earth you ever got this, I'll never know. You were the one demanding that there be no debate in this thread. :esurprised:

-Edward R Murrow