Christians rejecting the Old Testament

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christians rejecting the Old Testament

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
BTW, take it to that thread that you have been reading and actually address something, it should be obvious that's where it belongs. This looks like you are trying to derail this thread and cover up the conversation going on here.... Makes me wonder why?
No this was a mistake, I thought I had posted to the right thread but alas I have failed and have only realized now.
Shame on you Daniel! Puffing Billy would not be happy! :shakehead: :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
BTW, take it to that thread that you have been reading and actually address something, it should be obvious that's where it belongs. This looks like you are trying to derail this thread and cover up the conversation going on here.... Makes me wonder why?
No this was a mistake, I thought I had posted to the right thread but alas I have failed and have only realized now.
The dangers of having multiple windows open.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
It was actually cool enough here last nite, that I had multiple windows open when I went to bed. A loud owl woke me up. That's my danger of having multiple windows open.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
It was actually cool enough here last nite, that I had multiple windows open when I went to bed. A loud owl woke me up. That's my danger of having multiple windows open.
Rick stop derailing this thread, jeepers, you mean't to be a mod. :evil:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Revolutionary
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Revolutionary »

Revolutionary wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
I have done enough [poop] in my life to be honest enough to say that I simply do NOT know what I would have done in their "shoes".
By your own argument of having choice and being aware of the consequences, shouldn't you know?
That IS in a nut shell your entire argument, so why now are you shying away from answering the question with any real resolution?[/quote
]

The nut shell is that it is human nature to KNOW wrong and DO WRONG anyways.

I can't answer truthfully if I would do what Adam did knowing exactly what Adam knew.
I HOPE I would do better but the simple fact is that based on my experience of ME knowing wrong and still doing it, I would think that I probably would have screwed up like Adam did.
To be tempted to be like God, that is a temptation beyond all others.
The crucial element of the story is that Adam, who had everything he NEEDED and had a PERSONAL relationship with God that was to be envied, still WANTED more and what He wanted was to KNOW what God knew, in short to be like God and He wanted it NOW, not when he was ready mind you, but he wanted it now regardless of the consequences.
Can you give me an example of something you know is wrong but simply do anyways?
Just to keep things going, can anyone answer the question I have asked or continue the position?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Revolutionary wrote:....Can you give me an example of something you know is wrong but simply do anyways?

Driving your car 6 miles an hour over the speed limit...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
cnk12
Recognized Member

Post by cnk12 »

Can you give me an example of something you know is wrong but simply do anyways?
If you've ever had an argument with your spouse or someone you love, you probably say things you know will hurt that person, but you say them anyway. Especially if they've said something that stings you in the process.

Of course, all those emotions, and especially the fact that we have the free will to love someone or not, is a perfect illustration that we are more than just matter and energy. That is a strong piece of evidence for the existence of a God.
Revolutionary
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Revolutionary »

cnk12 wrote:
If you've ever had an argument with your spouse or someone you love, you probably say things you know will hurt that person, but you say them anyway. Especially if they've said something that stings you in the process.

Of course, all those emotions, and especially the fact that we have the free will to love someone or not, is a perfect illustration that we are more than just matter and energy. That is a strong piece of evidence for the existence of a God.
The argument has originated from something absurd and meaningless in the first place that should have never entered into the equation of love..... So why did it?
Isn't the investigative process surrounding that inquiry a perfect catalyst to identifying where and exactly how you can evolve who you are as an expression?
Doesn't doing so also nurture the same opportunity for growth from the spouse or person you love?
Doesn't it elevate and strengthen the love that you share with them, when this is what is revealed to our capacity for understanding?

What would be wrong is to exist in an exchange where you harbor these feelings and are not be able to share them with someone you love, with the perfect knowledge that it will be with taken with a loving forgiveness that is able to acknowledge it as an opportunity to focus on their own offering of growth which contributes to the other's.

In this capacity where it is the perfect catalyst towards growth, what is wrong?
cnk12
Recognized Member

Post by cnk12 »

The argument has originated from something absurd and meaningless in the first place that should have never entered into the equation of love..... So why did it?
My answer would vary from depending on the situation, but most times I'd say pettiness, arrogance and foolish pride.
Doesn't it elevate and strengthen the love that you share with them, when this is what is revealed to our capacity for understanding?
Sometimes for sure but too often it breaks down further, or isn't let go of.
What would be wrong is to exist in an exchange where you harbor these feelings and are not be able to share them with someone you love, with the perfect knowledge that it will be with taken with a loving forgiveness that is able to acknowledge it as an opportunity to focus on their own offering of growth which contributes to the other's.
in a perfect world maybe, but at least half of marriages fail, so something isn't working.
In this capacity where it is the perfect catalyst towards growth, what is wrong?
I think the Christians may be right...too many people turning away from God

I'm not sure I answered or been able to answer your questions in context, but going back to the question that lead to this, your asking for examples of things we do wrong when we know they're wrong...there are many. I could give hundreds just by looking at my life. I guess you could call them regrets. Moving past one's regrets and overcoming behaviors via Christ's salvation and with help from the Holy Spirit is very attractive to me. I hope I can get there.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Revolutionary wrote:The argument has originated from something absurd and meaningless in the first place that should have never entered into the equation of love..... So why did it?
Human beings want more than love, they desire power to control others, they desire what they feel would be best for them, they desire to take for themselves what they perceive best suites them. In doing so, they reject love, God’s love, deeming it unimportant, not worth anything unless it lines up with their personal concepts of power, control, taking, and excusing accountability. Humanity turns away God’s love for a myriad of excuses – what’s yours?

So what should have never entered into the equation of love was not of God’s doing, but ours. His Love respected that choice demonstrated by not zapping us into the mass of nothingness you boldly believe in.
Revolutionary wrote:Isn't the investigative process surrounding that inquiry a perfect catalyst to identifying where and exactly how you can evolve who you are as an expression?
So, humanity and God separated and humanity was left with a bitter objective lesson to demonstrate what a world not governed by God’s love would be like. Thus begins the investigative process for humanity from all nations, kindred’s, and languages to seek out what is wrong and in hope that humanity might reach out to God and find Him. He is really not that far from each one of us but it is we, who despise his great love and are the problem why we can’t evolve back to where we really belong, with God, walking in the cool of the day, side by side, reconciled – loved again as it was meant to be.
Revolutionary wrote:Doesn't doing so also nurture the same opportunity for growth from the spouse or person you love?
Forcing your will upon another by direct force is not an act of love but rather best describes rape. So in order to nurture the same opportunity for growth from the spouse or person you love you cannot rape them in any form or manner. You must let them decide, freely, if they desire to accept your love, because in doing so, demonstrates absolute justice, to them and for you too.

Therefore, letting one live in accordance to the motives of one’s heart actually makes a living personal objective lesson one learns from. This is the only way a free moral agent can actually learn that what they do, how they live, isn't working for them. From this lesson of growth, will a person reach for God, or continue to reject such a love that respects you so much as to allow you and I to lie in our own mire till we get it, and return to him.
Revolutionary wrote:Doesn't it elevate and strengthen the love that you share with them, when this is what is revealed to our capacity for understanding?
Does it or would it depends upon the person and how love was revealed.

"For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die." Romans 5:7 NASB

We feel a sense of satisfaction when someone jumps upon the subway tracks to save another who has fallen upon those tracks and then is hit by the train. We laud such selfless sacrifice of one dying in order to save another and at the same time, laud the right to kill the unborn and doing nothing about this too. We applaud and hoot and holler over someone dying to save another as a great act of love – and it is.

An act of love, to come as one of us, in this world we made a mess of, within all its woes, crazy families, politics, schemes and then permit himself to die, to expose what we are really like to each other and God. Done in order to change us back into creatures 'who' learn to actually live love and not speculate/theorize about it in order to justify escaping personal responsibility for mocking the governing nature of God’s love. How... listen...

"...God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 NASB

We mock at this saying. Saying it is silly… How can such an attitude as this elevate and strengthen love, when such an act of God’s love is revealed to our capacity for understanding after it is shared with us – you?
Revolutionary wrote:What would be wrong is to exist in an exchange where you harbor these feelings and are not be able to share them with someone you love, with the perfect knowledge that it will be with taken with a loving forgiveness that is able to acknowledge it as an opportunity to focus on their own offering of growth which contributes to the other's.
In this: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God." John 3:16-21, NASB

-- What would be wrong is to exist in an exchange where you harbor these feelings and are not be able to share them with someone you love, with the perfect knowledge that it will be with taken with a loving forgiveness that is able to acknowledge it as an opportunity to focus on their own offering of growth which contributes to the other's…

…well you tell me why you, Revolutionary, continue to reject such love demonstrated to you by God himself and then maybe you’ll uncover the answer.
Revolutionary wrote:In this capacity where it is the perfect catalyst towards growth, what is wrong?
Human beings want more than love, they desire power to control others, they desire what they feel would be best for them, they desire to take for themselves what they perceive best suites them. In doing so, they reject love, God’s love, deeming it unimportant, not worth anything unless it lines up with their personal concepts of power, control, taking, and excusing accountability. Humanity turns away God’s love for a myriad of excuses – what’s yours?

You tell me…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys