Evidence?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Evidence?

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Seeker wrote:what do you believe to be the best evidence of a God?
Depends on what "God" you are talking about.
IMO, the best evidence for a personal God, like what Christianity claims, is a personal relationship WITH God.
My own life
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Seeker wrote:what do you believe to be the best evidence of a God?
the world
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Neha
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Neha »

The best evidence of God to me can only be complete coherence with his own nature. Something that I have lost confidence in.

Carry on.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Neha wrote:The best evidence of God to me can only be complete coherence with his own nature. Something that I have lost confidence in.

Carry on.
So you understand what coherence means when it comes to beliefs now do you? :poke:
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

The universe we live in contains both physical matter and consciousness. What came first?

God could hate us, but such doesn't remove arguments for intelligence coming before matter, rather than matter before intelligence.
Neha
Recognized Member

Post by Neha »

Kurieuo wrote:
Neha wrote:The best evidence of God to me can only be complete coherence with his own nature. Something that I have lost confidence in.

Carry on.
So you understand what coherence means when it comes to beliefs now do you? :poke:
Ideally, it would only be logically more reliable since I don't think one can successfully show empirical proofs for God. One could say the fine tuned universe, but even at its best that argument just gets you to "an outside force or agent" beyond that you have to have belief its the God you follow. :wave:
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Neha wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Carry on.
Ideally, it would only be logically more reliable since I don't think one can successfully show empirical proofs for God. One could say the fine tuned universe, but even at its best that argument just gets you to "an outside force or agent" beyond that you have to have belief its the God you follow. :wave:
Empirical 'proofs', of course not. But then again no scientist worth his weight would claim anything can be 'proven' empirically considering science is not in the business of proving anything. Metaphysical proofs, on the other hand, well that's a whole 'nother story altogether.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Neha
Recognized Member

Post by Neha »

Byblos wrote:
Neha wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Carry on.
Empirical 'proofs', of course not. But then again no scientist worth his weight would claim anything can be 'proven' empirically considering science is not in the business of proving anything. Metaphysical proofs, on the other hand, well that's a whole 'nother story altogether.
Science establishes facts.

There are two ways to look into this, technically science can only prove ideas or theories as false. Take for example the idea "what will happen if you put your hand into fire" with two assumptions, your hand will burn or it won't burn. Science will only prove false the wrong idea. This is only a technicality, because in principle science cannot say that your hand will always burn, its expected to burn and will likely always burn, but improvement for theory is always considered as there may be a time that for unknown factors your hand may not burn at all and thus it can never be "proved". In layman terms, science has proven a lot of things and will prove a lot of things in the future.

The other is a lame one being "everything is just a theory"...while that is also technically true and that binds into what I said above, this is often used as "its all thought up or made up" but a theory is more than just "thought up". In science the meaning is that it is supported by evidence and has not been refuted or proved false. Nonetheless this view is often used to falsify established theories without providing any type of evidence.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Neha wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Neha wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Carry on.
Science establishes facts.

There are two ways to look into this, technically science can only prove ideas or theories as false. Take for example the idea "what will happen if you put your hand into fire" with two assumptions, your hand will burn or it won't burn. Science will only prove false the wrong idea. This is only a technicality, because in principle science cannot say that your hand will always burn, its expected to burn and will likely always burn, but improvement for theory is always considered as there may be a time that for unknown factors your hand may not burn at all and thus it can never be "proved". In layman terms, science has proven a lot of things and will prove a lot of things in the future.

The other is a lame one being "everything is just a theory"...while that is also technically true and that binds into what I said above, this is often used as "its all thought up or made up" but a theory is more than just "thought up". In science the meaning is that it is supported by evidence and has not been refuted or proved false. Nonetheless this view is often used to falsify established theories without providing any type of evidence.
No disagreement there.

But this is not what you were talking about, you referred to 'empirical proofs of God' when such 'proofs' have no basis in science since science would then have to account for itself in scientific terms, which is circular.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Neha
Recognized Member

Post by Neha »

Perhaps I wasn't clear. There can be no empirical proofs of God and to ask a theist for one is unfair. God by definition is outside of empirical reality. Science has no position on God.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Neha wrote:Perhaps I wasn't clear. There can be no empirical proofs of God and to ask a theist for one is unfair. God by definition is outside of empirical reality. Science has no position on God.

Science is man's invention - creation is God's...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Neha
Recognized Member

Post by Neha »

B. W. wrote:
Neha wrote:Perhaps I wasn't clear. There can be no empirical proofs of God and to ask a theist for one is unfair. God by definition is outside of empirical reality. Science has no position on God.

-
-
-
And this is also your belief, which is manmade, you are human. :-)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Neha wrote:
B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
All we have is a view from the wormhole...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Neha
Recognized Member

Post by Neha »

B. W. wrote:
Neha wrote:
B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
-
-
-
I am sorry I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain please? Thanks.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Neha wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Neha wrote:
B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
-
-
-
I am sorry I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain please? Thanks.
y:-?

Look up...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb: