John MacArthur's 'Strange Fire Conference'

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

John MacArthur's 'Strange Fire Conference'

Post by PeteSinCA »

This is something that grieves me almost to the point of making me ill! Christians need to recognize and reject false teaching when it strikes at or compromises core teachings of Scripture, but we have a greater commission that inward-looking doctrinal purity. Let me state several things up front, painting in broad strokes:

1.) My perspective is, broadly, charismatic. I was raised in a theologically conservative Lutheran denomination, and have been a member for some 5 years of a theologically conservative Baptist church. The ~35 years in between were mostly in charismatic churches. I believe the gifts of the Spirit - those obviously supernatural (1 Corinthians 12) and those less obviously supernatural (Romans 12) - are operating today, and are every bit as needed as they were some 2000 years ago;

2.) I respect John MacArthur. I've not experienced his ministry - directly or from radio or print sources - but I know enough to respect his ministry.

3.) The only person who benefits when Christians form up a circular firing squad is Satan. When Christians "bite and devour" each other we are doing his work, not the work Jesus commissioned us to do!

Excerpts From John MacArthur's 'Strange Fire' Book Suggest Flames of Controversy Over Charismatic Mov't to Still Burn
By Michael Gryboski
Christian Post Reporter
October 24, 2013|2:25 pm
MacArthur argued at the Strange Fire Conference held at Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, Calif. on Oct. 16-18 that Pentecostal-influenced preachers like Bishop T.D. Jakes and Joel Osteen are advancing a prosperity gospel that is "spirit-centered" when it should be Christ-centered, as well as other controversial remarks.

"If the Charismatic movement was being produced by the Holy Spirit, the glory of Christ would prevail everywhere," said MacArthur in one morning conference session. "It would be Christ-dominated and everyone in the movement would be bowing the knee to the true Christ in belief of the true Gospel."
Here is a response from a charismatic pastor that is at once generally informative and specifically responsive (and hints at some things I'll be saying below):

After John MacArthur's Strange Fire Event: 10 Things You May Not Have Known About the Charismatic Mov't
By Alex Murashko
Christian Post Reporter
October 23, 2013|6:47 am
When prominent theologian John MacArthur set off a heated debate in the Christian community about his unfavorable view of the Charismatic movement during his Strange Fire Conference last week at his church, some might have wondered what exactly is the Charismatic movement?

MacArthur went so far as to accuse the movement of offering God "unacceptable worship" that "blasphemes the Holy Spirit."

Below readers can get a primer on Pentecostals and Charismatics, who are estimated to number up to nearly a billion people who can be classified as being a part of or having been influenced by this movement within the Christian community.

CP asked the Rev. David Housholder to give a list of "Ten Things You May Not Have Known about Pentecostals/Charismatics." Housholder is the founding pastor of Robinwood Church in Southern California, and holds a Master of Divinity degree from the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago and is a Fulbright Scholar in New Testament and Philosophy at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhems-Universität in Bonn, Germany.
2. Pentecostalism is quintessentially American. It began (although there were pre-shocks for centuries) in the multi-ethnic Azusa Street Revival in Los Angeles, Calif. It is arguably our most influential export of any kind.

3. The churches planted by American mainline denominations (Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, UCC, etc) in the global South are overwhelmingly Pentecostal/Charismatic in their piety. For instance, a Lutheran from Ethiopia (Mekane Yesus) would certainly be considered Pentecostal if visiting here in the U.S.

4. Pentecostals/Charismatics are diverse. They run the spectrum range from Oxford/Cambridge blue bloods in the Kensington neighborhood of London to snake handlers in Appalachia. The current Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, is a product of the largest congregation in the Church of England, Holy Trinity Brompton, which is one of the most influential charismatic congregations in the world. And not just economically diverse. If you find yourself in a multi-cultural congregation in the U.S.A. on a Sunday morning, the overwhelming probability is that you are sitting in a Pentecostal worship service.

5. Pentecostals are not anti-intellectual. The unofficial "Pentecostal Pope," Jack Hayford of Los Angeles, is a Bible-scholar's Bible scholar. Oral Roberts University, Regent Seminary (Virginia Beach) and Southeastern University (Lakeland, Florida) are some of the key centers of higher learning for the movement.
First, and in somewhat stronger and more direct terms than Pastor David Housholder, I will stipulate that there are some significant problems with teachings common among "Word of Faith" people. At their worst, they distort the meaning of Jesus' redemptive sacrifice and the nature of the believer's relationship with God. I figured that out long ago, in the mid-1970s, years before I heard John MacArthur's name. I think those problems significant enough that corrective and cautionary responses are necessary. My problem with what MacArthur has said is that he is equating a portion of the Pentecostal-charismatic spectrum to the whole spectrum. As Pastor Housholder indicates, the Pentecostal-charismatic spectrum is far more broad than the Word of Faith segment of the spectrum. Many Pentecostals and charismatics have not heard of Kenneth Hagin, et al; many of those who have also reject the unscriptural teachings of the Word of Faith movement. So John MacArthur is painting with a very broad broom and some of the people he condemns actually reject the Word of Faith people he rejects. To be blunt, John MacArthur has been around long enough that he should know he is doing this; Jack Hayford's Church on the Way, Chuck Smith's Calvary Chapel (and probably several other Calvary Chapels) are both fairly close to MacArthur's San Fernando Valley church. I won't speculate further in that direction. As Pastor Housholder also suggests, MacArthur is ignoring much that Pentecostals and charismatics do and teach in claiming they focus tightly on the gifts of the Holy Spirit. In 20+ years in charismatic churches, I don't know whether I've heard one sermon specifically about the gifts of the Spirit, and I could probably count on one hand the number of times more than a casual reference was made to one of the gifts. As to evangelistic outreach, where do I start?! Ever hear of Greg Laurie's Harvest Crusades? Greg Laurie pastors a Calvary Chapel, and was part of the original Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa in the early 70s. Ever hear of Youth With A Mission and Mercy Ships? Both missions organizations were founded by Loren Cunningham, a former Assemblies of God pastor. Again, John MacArthur should know such things, and should know better than to make the claim he did. And again, I won't speculate further in that direction.

Like I said, what John MacArthur has done and is doing in this is hurtful enough to almost make me ill. Christians should not be attacking their brothers and sisters in Christ in this manner, accusing them of blaspheming against the Holy Spirit. And all the more so, Christian leaders should know better!
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: John MacArthur's 'Strange Fire Conference'

Post by B. W. »

Most of these reactions are born out of fear of abuses.

Either the Lord changes not -Jesus is the same, yesterday, and forever, or he changed his mind concerning gifts, promises, and his callings...

Up to folks to decide...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I respect John MacArthur. I've not experienced his ministry - directly or from radio or print sources - but I know enough to respect his ministry.
Well that's your problem, Pete. I'm not a charismatic, and I think the Word of Faith portion of the movement is downright heretical, dangerous, and ought to be condemned in every way. But I know enough to say comfortably that Pentecostals and Charismatics are not necessarily equated with Word of Faith, and so I try to limit my responses as appropriate.

With all that said, MacArthur is the really dangerous one. I do not respect his ministry. He is hardly a scholar, and he is very wrong on a wide variety of issues. He is not a particularly clear thinker and is little more than a theological bully.

I know it isn't fun to have your beliefs smeared by someone, especially someone who is something of a noted speaker. But for what it is worth, I wouldn't worry too much about what this guy has to say. This is just par for the course for him.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

Jac3510 wrote:With all that said, MacArthur is the really dangerous one. I do not respect his ministry. He is hardly a scholar, and he is very wrong on a wide variety of issues. He is not a particularly clear thinker and is little more than a theological bully.

I know it isn't fun to have your beliefs smeared by someone, especially someone who is something of a noted speaker. But for what it is worth, I wouldn't worry too much about what this guy has to say. This is just par for the course for him.
Calling a Christian leader dangerous is something I do very carefully. I'll go "there" with the Word of Faith types, but there are some among them I would have to say God has used. Kenneth Hagin was for a long time a reasonably sound - within a Pentecostal context - Bible teacher (I worked for a time at a Christian bookstore that had a significant amount of books with a Pentecostal-charismatic focus, so I saw some of what Hagin authored). But the things he was saying on his radio show at the time - the early-mid 1970s - were, to me, clearly very simplistic, taking scripture out of context (from the immediate textual context and from who was being addressed), human-centered, and God-in-a-box (if you do "X", God must do no more and no less than "Y"). As young as I was at the time - in age and in Christ - I knew God was much bigger than that, and I had too much respect for God's word to treat it as a source of context-free magic formulas.

Anyway, it is very possible that I do not know enough of John MacArthur. I perceive him to be the pastor of a sound church and a solid Christian teacher at a popular level. OTOH, I don't see any Christian leader as more than some one God has used, sometimes in spite of themselves.

I'm no longer young (nor old, either), so it doesn't trouble me that some Christians disagree with me (I do too, sometimes) and teach views contrary to mine. And I've seen more than a little silly prideful attitudes/ideas among Pentecostals and charismatics toward their non-P and non-c brothers and sisters in Christ! I'll speak up to such if and as necessary, but beyond that, God is well able to discipline his kids (yours truly among them). A contrast to MacArthur that comes to my mind is the late J. Vernon McGee. McGee was a true and outspoken Fundamentalist (no sloppy secular media usage of the term). As such, he was a convinced Cessationist. He also understood his personal fallibility and had a vision of the unity that should be in the Body of Christ; he also had a sense of humor about those of his POV. He expressed clearly, on-air, his Cessationist view; in at least one such context, he mentioned having had such discussions with Pentecostal (and/or charismatic) leaders. IOW, he saw both the possibility that he could be wrong, and recognized his fellow Christian leaders. John MacArthur seems to reject such a course.

Maybe I'm to idealistic, but I hold this hope that, without compromising their understanding and commitment to understand the Scriptures, Christians of various views (e.g. Cessationists and Continuationists) understand enough about the Body of Christ to understand they should not be attacking and condemning each other. I don't believe the Body of Christ will ever again be unified at the level of denominational structure (and the millennium before the 16th Century demonstrated how abusive and ugly, putting it nicely, structural unity could be!), and I do not believe that is what Jesus prayed for in John 17 (obviously, Catholics would disagree with me, :mrgreen: ). But Christians should be have and show unity in ministry (= service!). I would think a Christian leader of MacArthur's experience and (presumably) maturity would understand so basic.

There is no "good" time for Christians to be "biting and devouring" one another, but at a time when Christianity is coming under anti-Christian pressure in the US, what MacArthur is doing is particular grieving to me.
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

MacArthur preaches a false Gospel of works. He ought to worry more about the plank in his own eye.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

PeteSinCA wrote:Calling a Christian leader dangerous is something I do very carefully.
As I do, and in this case, I carefully say that he is dangerous. Or, as someone else has put it:
jlay wrote:MacArthur preaches a false Gospel of works. He ought to worry more about the plank in his own eye.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PeteS,

For a very brief overview of what Jac and jlay are talking about with regards to MacArthur's "false gospel of works", this link explains a little about the Free Grace vs Lordship Salvation "debate".
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

PeteSinCA wrote:There is no "good" time for Christians to be "biting and devouring" one another, but at a time when Christianity is coming under anti-Christian pressure in the US, what MacArthur is doing is particular grieving to me.
Paul said, "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!" Gal. 1:8

I agree, we have to be very careful not to major in the minors and create division over secondary doctrines. The Gospel is not a secondary doctrine.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

'Kay, guys, I'm willing to learn more.

I came across this column this AM, and he hits on quite a few points I have in my posts above:

Strange Fire Conference Fallout: Let's Not Devour One Another
By Michael Brown, CP Op-Ed Contributor
ChristianPost.com
October 24, 2013|10:44 am
How do we expose error without dividing the Body? How do we hold to our convictions while honoring those who differ with us? In the aftermath of the Strange Fire conference, these are questions we cannot ignore.

Paul issued this strong warning to the Galatians: "For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another" (Gal 5:14-15).

Here are five important principles to follow if we want to avoid unnecessary casualties.

1) We really do need each other. ...
2) Surgeons cut carefully. ...
3) Don't be hasty to call others false prophets or false teachers. ...
4) Before we differ with each other we have to understand each other. ...
5) Major on the majors. ...
Then there's this piece:

Chuck Smith's Memorial 'Paddle Out,' John MacArthur's Strange Fire Conf: Weekend of Deep Spiritual Contrasts
By David Housholder, CP Guest Contributor
ChristianPost.com
October 21, 2013|8:04 pm
This weekend was a weekend of deep spiritual contrasts in Southern California.

Two hours ago, I was out at the end of the Huntington Beach Pier on my surfboard. We were participating in a "paddle out" in memory of Chuck Smith, one of the main leaders of the Jesus movement.
It is traditional to do paddle outs in memory of surfers who have died, this may have been one of the biggest paddle outs….ever.
Contrast this with what was going on up on the other side of Los Angeles, at Grace Community in the San Fernando Valley.

A big crowd of serious theologians, overwhelmingly men, met at John MacArthur's church for the "Strange Fire" Conference.

Whereas the Jesus movement looked for ways to include people whom the church was not including (hippies, '68 flower child counter-culture, etc), MacArthur's movement seems bent on figuring out how to exclude a large majority of us Christians from the movement we are already in.
The pic from the Paddle-Out is amazing. I never attended Calvary Chapel, but the video from the beach baptism still has some nostalgia for me, the music not the least.

MacArthur's conference brought back other, less pleasant memories - pride and rejection coming from both sides, personally not always dealing well with people. Like Michael Brown, I see a need to find a constructive path between gnat-straining heresy-hunting and being so accepting of anything and everything that the idea of truth gets buried in avalanche of feel-good moosh.
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

Rick, thanks for the link. It was a helpful intro to what others were speaking of. Evidently this has been playing out since the 1990s. My awareness of MacArthur mainly dates from the 1970s. For me personally, the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s were when I married, our children were born, changed churches more than I would have liked (in the 1980s), then began attending the church our family was at for nearly 20 years, homeschooling our children, brain surgery (explains a lot, I know), our daughters being involved in various degrees with YWAM, being laid off from jobs 5 times, and the deaths of our parents. IOW, life crowded out my following much that was happening in the greater Body of Christ at the time.

Where do I think I would be in the controversy? Ephesians 2:8-10 covers it pretty well:
2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; 2:9 it is not from works, so that no one can boast. 2:10 For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them.
Salvation happens first, but it was God's purpose that we would then live our lives serving Him.
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Here is a link to the quoted article below as it contains some very good points concerning this topic from George O. Wood, General Superintendent, The General Council of the Assemblies of God
Chairman, World Assemblies of God Fellowship... posted in full at bottom of article...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolso ... ly-spirit/

“Strange Fire?” Fundamentalists and the Holy Spirit
October 28, 2013 By Roger E. Olson

“Strange Fire?” Fundamentalists and the Holy Spirit

Just this month fundamentalist-Calvinist pastor John MacArthur, host of the “Grace to You” radio program and author of numerous books (including Strange Fire: The Danger of Offending the Holy Spirit with Counterfeit Worship [2013]) hosted an anti-Pentecostal, anti-charismatic conference in Southern California called “Strange Fire.” You can check it out by simply googling that phrase and visiting the conference web site.

To be sure there are excesses and aberrations among Pentecostals and charismatics. Some of them deserve the label “strange fire.” When I was growing up in the thick of the Pentecostal movement we sometimes talked about “wild fire” in certain Pentecostal churches. We distinguished between that and the true “fire” of the Holy Spirit that enlivened and energized Christians to live holy lives and witness to the lost. Occasionally, in response to people like MacArthur (who has been bashing Pentecostals and charismatics for decades) we said “Better wild fire than no fire at all.” After visiting some so-called Pentecostal churches and charismatic meetings I’m not so sure about that, but I have deep qualms about conferences like MacArthur’s.

MacArthur talks about the danger of offending the Holy Spirit with “counterfeit worship.” I agree that there is that danger. However, I wonder if MacArthur and others (like R. C. Sproul) who spoke at his conference have considered the danger of offending the Holy Spirit by opposing a worldwide renewal movement that, for all its flaws, has brought millions of people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ? And by attributing the Holy Spirit’s gifts to unholy passions and imagination (if not to Satan)?

Frankly, in my considered opinion, cessationism (belief that the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit ceased with the close of the apostolic age and the completion of Scripture) is simply silly. It’s exegesis of its only allegedly supporting biblical passage, 1 Corinthians 13:8-13, is simply tortured. It’s blatant eisegesis.

I can’t help but suspect that there’s more than a bit of God envy going on the fundamentalists’ loud protestations against the Pentecostal and charismatic movements. They doth protest too much and too loudly and on such thin grounds. Every large and widespread religious movement has its extremes and aberrations, including fundamentalism! And yet, to listen to these men (and a few women) you’d think every Pentecostal and charismatic was a religious fraud and/or fanatic worthy of nothing but disdain.

The reason I suspect these fundamentalists of God envy is that their own movement (cessationist) is on the ropes, so to speak, dwindling and fighting for survival, while Pentecostalism and charismatic groups are thriving worldwide. Sociologists of religion inform us that Pentecostalism (in its various forms) is the fastest-growing and largest Christian movement in the world. Protestant Christianity in the Global South is dominated by Pentecostals and charismatics.

One Pentecostal response to the Strange Fire conference has come from the General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God George O. Wood. I am including it here. It is a model of generosity of spirit in the face of backstabbing by fellow conservative Christians. I fear I could not be so kind and gentle. In fact, I would like to issue a warning to the Strange Fire folks that they may be in danger of offending the Holy Spirit themselves. Sounding a warning about excesses and aberrations rampant in some Pentecostal and charismatic quarters is one thing; condemning the whole movement as “counterfeit” is simply verging on sinning against the Holy Spirit.

Here is Wood’s response to Strange Fire:

From the General Superintendent’s Office

Statement Regarding Strange Fire Conference

Recently, Dr. John MacArthur and Grace to You Ministries hosted the Strange Fire Conference at Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California. Dr. MacArthur believes that the miraculous gifts of the Spirit ceased with the close of the Apostolic Era and that the Pentecostal and charismatic movements are therefore theologically aberrant at a foundational level.

By contrast, Pentecostal and charismatic Christians believe that “the promise [i.e., the gift of the Holy Spirit] is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call” (Acts 2:39). With this promise comes the evidential sign of speaking in other tongues and power to be witnesses of Jesus Christ “to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8, 2:4, cf. Luke 24:49). Consequently, following the Apostle Paul’s teaching, we “eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 14:1).

While there have been isolated aberrations of behavior and doctrine over the past century among those who self-identify as Pentecostal or charismatic, the movement as a whole has proved a vital force in world evangelization—a fulfillment of the promise Jesus made to His disciples in Acts 1:8. On behalf of the 66 million adherents and 360,000+ churches in the World Assemblies of God Fellowship, I thank God that the faith and life of the Acts 2 church are still being believed and experienced today.

The Assemblies of God celebrates 100 years in 2014 and remains committed to the full authority of God’s Word. As a founding member of the National Association of Evangelicals, the Assemblies of God has sought to cooperate in the Great Commission with Christians of like-minded faith, even when they are not Pentecostal and charismatic and we remain committed to that collaboration.

We trust the time will come when Dr. John MacArthur and those who share his perspective will acknowledge the great contribution that Pentecostals and Charismatics are making in the evangelization of individuals without Christ. We pray God’s blessings on their efforts to share His gospel with a lost and dying world. Pentecostals and charismatics are their co-laborers in this effort so we ask that they would similarly pray for God’s blessing on us as we seek to fulfill the Great Commission that God has given us all.

George O. Wood
General Superintendent, The General Council of the Assemblies of God
Chairman, World Assemblies of God Fellowship
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

+
When we read the accounts of Jonathan Edwards and the manifestations that occurred during his inspired messages are astounding. These have been clearly documented and witnessed too. This link, in brief describes these:

http://enrichmentjournal.ag.org/200201/ ... nathan.cfm

I wonder if there were an Edwards, Whitfield, Wesley today - how would John MacArthur respond?

Edward's sadly lost his congregation over the issue of Communion and after this disgrace went to do missionary work among an Native American tribe in western Massachusetts. Later, he was offered to be Princeton Theological Seminary next president. Before that could be fulfilled, he took a small pox vaccination (a scab dropped into an open cut) and contracted that disease and passed on to God.

These manifestations of God moving upon folk happened during Whitfield's messages as well as John Wesley's messages. God uses whomever is willing to die to self in order that Christ alone may be glorified despite Calvinist and Arminian pet doctrines. This should make one think that often, we divide over pet doctrines, while God seeks the lost through those willing to die to self for him. That concept has been lost these days. Grand intellectualism substitutes for the move of God and harsh criticism is taken as correct doctrine.

Jonathan Edwards, Whitfield, John Wesley, and Sam P Jones are my favorite revivalist to study. These men each had an powerful conversions encounters with God that caused them to do what they did. John Wesley, founded a whole church movement, founded orphanages, helped the poor, etc... Jones rocked the southern States. These men were controversial in their day. The manifestations of God's power upon the audiences were astounding. We need such folk today, totally sold out to Christ. When God shows up the John MacArthur types will say what they will. Those that know God will not seek to divide the church nor will they be proud of their giftings, they prefer unity but know that as long as people chose the applauds of men more than God - they will be mocked by such as was Christ. Then, taken in years later after all the hype is over, they are respected.

We wonder why, no great moves of God? Well, if God so chooses to move would we accept such manifestations of the Holy Spirit upon whole groups of people, or blame it all on mass hysteria or not of God? Just makes one wonder if another Jonathan Edwards type appeared today, what would John MacArthur be saying about him?
Quote below from this blog by Michel Brown who cites Edwards:
http://askdrbrown.org/great-comments-by ... scernment/

During the Great Awakening in the 1740′s, many critics of the revival pointed to the unusual manifestations that were taking place. Jonathan Edwards, the greatest theologian and philosopher of the day, had some wise words for pastors and leaders back then, and they remain wise counsel for us today.

He noted that “those ministers of Christ and overseers of souls, that busy themselves, and are full of concern about the involuntary motions of the fluids and solids of men’s bodies, and from thence full of doubts and suspicions of the cause, when nothing appears but that the state and frame of their minds, and their voluntary behaviour is good, and agreeable to God’s word; I say, such ministers go out of the place that Christ has set them in, and leave their proper business, as much as if they should undertake to tell who are under the influence of the Spirit by their looks, or their gait. I cannot see which way we are in danger, or how the devil is likely to get any notable advantage against us, if we do but thoroughly do our duty with respect to those two things, viz. The state of persons’ minds, and their moral conduct, seeing to it that they be maintained in an agreeableness to the rules that Christ has given us. If things are but kept right in these respects, our fears and suspicions arising from extraordinary bodily effects seem wholly groundless.”

This is the counsel he gave:

“The influence persons are under is not to be judged of one way or other by such effects on the body; and the reason is because the Scripture nowhere gives us any such rule. We cannot conclude that persons are under the influence of the true Spirit because we see such effects upon their bodies, because this is not given as a mark of the true Spirit; nor on the other hand, have we any reason to conclude from any such outward appearances, that persons are not under the influence of the Spirit of God, because there is no rule of Scripture given us to judge of spirits by, that does either expressly or indirectly exclude such effects on the body, nor does reason exclude them. . . .

“Some object against such extraordinary appearances that we have no instances of them recorded in the New Testament, under the extraordinary effusions of the Spirit. Were this allowed, I can see no force in the objection, if neither reason nor any rule of Scripture exclude such things . . . . I do not know that we have any express mention in the New Testament of any person’s weeping, or groaning, or sighing through fear of hell, or a sense of God’s anger; but is there any body so foolish as from hence to argue that in whomsoever these things appear, their convictions are not from the Spirit of God? “.

. . Why then should it be thought strange that persons should cry out for fear, when God appears to them, as a terrible enemy, and they see themselves in great danger of being swallowed up in the bottomless gulf of eternal misery? The spouse, once and again, speaks of herself as overpowered with the love of Christ, so as to weaken her body, and make her faint. Cant. ii. 5, “Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples; for I am sick of love.” . . . From whence we may at least argue that such an effect may well be supposed to arise from such a cause in the saints, in some cases, and that such effect will sometimes be seen in the church of Christ.

“It is a weak objection, that the impressions of enthusiasts [fanatics] have a great effect on their bodies. That the Quakers used to tremble is no argument that Saul, afterwards Paul, and the jailer did not tremble from real convictions of conscience. [Did you catch that? Edwards is saying that just because there are abuses and imitations, that does not invalidate the genuine!] Indeed all such objections from effects on the body, let them be greater or less, seem to be exceeding frivolous; they who argue thence, proceed in the dark, they know now what ground they go upon, nor by what rule they judge. The root and course of things is to be looked at, and the nature of the operations and affections are to be inquired into, and examined by the rule of God’s word, and not the motions of the blood and animal spirits.”

Now look at what happened to Isaiah in Isa 6:5. The Apostle John in Rev 1:17 - to those mentioned in Ezra 9:4... and note Isa 66:2 - if these types of manifestations happened today, would they be accepted?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

To be sure there are excesses and aberrations among Pentecostals and charismatics. Some of them deserve the label “strange fire.” When I was growing up in the thick of the Pentecostal movement we sometimes talked about “wild fire” in certain Pentecostal churches. We distinguished between that and the true “fire” of the Holy Spirit that enlivened and energized Christians to live holy lives and witness to the lost. Occasionally, in response to people like MacArthur (who has been bashing Pentecostals and charismatics for decades) we said “Better wild fire than no fire at all.” After visiting some so-called Pentecostal churches and charismatic meetings I’m not so sure about that, but I have deep qualms about conferences like MacArthur’s.

MacArthur talks about the danger of offending the Holy Spirit with “counterfeit worship.” I agree that there is that danger. However, I wonder if MacArthur and others (like R. C. Sproul) who spoke at his conference have considered the danger of offending the Holy Spirit by opposing a worldwide renewal movement that, for all its flaws, has brought millions of people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ? And by attributing the Holy Spirit’s gifts to unholy passions and imagination (if not to Satan)?
While there have been isolated aberrations of behavior and doctrine over the past century among those who self-identify as Pentecostal or charismatic ...
I've not seen the more extreme extremes among Pentecostals and charismatics - e.g. snake handling - but I've definitely seen and - for lack of understanding - participated in some quite "out of order" things. Paul, evidently, did too, and described the proper course:
And do everything in a decent and orderly manner. 1 Corinthians 14:40, NET
This verse is Paul's summation of an entire section about practical and proper usage of the gifts of the Holy Spirit in assemblies for worship and teaching. In a brief sentence Paul makes two points: 1.) Do everything (the context details what that means); 2.) in a decent and orderly fashion. As I understand this verse and its context, services in which the entire congregation (+/-10%) is speaking in tongues simultaneously are out of order, a misuse of a gift of the Spirit (on at least two counts - the chaotic simultaneity and the lack of interpretation). Conversely, to teach against or forbid the (proper) exercise of spiritual gifts such as prophecy or speaking in tongues also violates this verse (and the rather direct and specific verse 39).

This wasn't Paul's first and only time in this "territory":
Do not extinguish the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt. But examine all things; hold fast to what is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21, NET
Same basic balance: do not forbid; guard against abuse and falsehood. I think Olsen, in his blog, was alluding to verse 19, and I would have to agree that MacArthur is taking dealing with a real problem so much farther that he is extinguishing (or quenching) some of the work of the Holy Spirit (or at least trying to, though the Holy Spirit is a bit bigger than John MacArthur). Looking around Grace Community Church's webpages about what they believe (quite verbose, IMO), I think this statement from a webpage about the sufficiency of Scripture, "Contrary to what many are teaching today, there is no need for additional revelations, visions, words of prophecy, or insights from modern psychology," violates verse 20 (as well as being a straw man argument - no Pentecostal or charismatic close to the mainstream of those movements claims a word of Prophecy is equivalent to Scripture).
Last edited by PeteSinCA on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PeteSinCA wrote:
And do everything in a decent and orderly manner. 1 Corinthians 14:40, NET
This verse is Paul's summation of an entire section about practical and proper usage of the gifts of the Holy Spirit in assemblies for worship and teaching. In a brief sentence Paul makes two points: 1.) Do everything (the context details what that means); 2.) in a decent and orderly fashion. As I understand this verse and its context, services in which the entire congregation (+/-10%) is speaking in tongues simultaneously are out of order, a misuse of a gift of the Spirit (on at least two counts - the chaotic simultaneity and the lack of interpretation). Conversely, to teach against or forbid the (proper) exercise of spiritual gifts such as prophecy or speaking in tongues also violates this verse (and the rather direct and specific verse 39).

This wasn't Paul's first and only time in this "territory":
Do not extinguish the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt. But examine all things; hold fast to what is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21, NET
Same basic balance: do not forbid; guard against abuse and falsehood. I think Olsen, in his blog, was alluding to verse 19, and I would have to agree that MacArthur is taking dealing with a real problem so much farther that he is extinguishing (or quenching) some of the work of the Holy Spirit (or at least trying to, though the Holy Spirit is a bit bigger than John MacArthur). Looking around Grace Community Church's webpages about what they believe (quite verbose, IMO), I think [url=http://www.gracechurch.org/distinctives/scripture/]this statement from a webpage about the sufficiency of Scripture, "Contrary to what many are teaching today, there is no need for additional revelations, visions, words of prophecy, or insights from modern psychology," violates verse 20 (as well as being a straw man argument - no Pentecostal or charismatic close to the mainstream of those movements claims a word of Prophecy is equivalent to Scripture).
There is a reason why 1 Corinthians 13 was place in between two chapters that concern spiritual giftings. The gifts are mentioned in 1 Co 12:8-11 as the word of wisdom , word of knowledge, gift of faith, gifts of healings, gifts of the working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, different kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues all by the same Holy Spirit.

The simple reason why 1 Corinthians 13 was placed in between two chapters that concern spiritual gifts was to show how these are governed by Love. Therefore, in 1 Corinthians 13 the word love implies how each gift is governed… so insert the gifts mentioned in chapter 12 where the word love is and you’ll get a better picture. Insert anyone of these where love is mentioned in verse 4-7 with the idea of God’s Love governing these and you’ll see something:

…Word of wisdom , word of knowledge, gift of faith, gifts of healings, gifts of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, different kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues…

1 Co 13:4-13 (Gift of) suffers long and is kind; (Gift of) does not envy; (Gift of) does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Now read 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 and see what goes on when these gifts are not governed by love…

Paul moves on to chapter 14 with these words…

1Co 14:1 NKJV, Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy…

What MacArthur is against is the abuses of the gifts not governed by God’s love through the Holy Spirit with the exception that he tosses out the whole lot whereas, I do not. I do not condemn him for this. There are abuses and these are due to misunderstanding of the nature love governing the gifts and when this lack – abuses occur. Why does God allow this? Answer - God keeps his word, promises, callings, and does not change. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Even if we abuse what belongs to him, he remains true to his gifts callings and promises.

1 Co 13:10 has been mistranslated to mean that all the gifts ended in the first century and no longer needed due to the bible being made complete. This does not wash because Rev 21:6 states clearly when the perfect has actually come, when He says, "It’s done…" It ain't perfect or whole yet, is it? The gifts governed by God's love by the Holy Spirit help bring about wholeness into peoples lives so they are transformed as Rom 8:29 states.

1 Co 13:8-9 simply tells us that after the gift, whatever it is, is used, after it has come to pass, it ends. For example a real prophetic word will be fulfilled in the recipient’s life and thus ends, our own words, after awhile, end. After this, new words and gifts are needed so Paul goes into 1 Co 14:1 telling folks to pursue the gifts governed by God’s love that brings order and reality back to life midst this dark world.

After a healing happens, it ends. A new one maybe needed later on as we progress and grow into the new person Christ desires us to be. Also note that healings are not all confined to physical illnesses alone but includes healings of a broken heart, broken life, healings from abuse and mental trauma… (read Isa 61:1-4 and 1 John 2:6). Prophecy is not confined alone to foretelling something but also includes teaching. When the lesson is learned, you will need more lessons. Actually, 1 Corinthians chapters 12 thru 14:1-33 is easy to grasp, it is we who mess up the lessons it teaches (note 1 Co 13:1, 2, 3 )
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

Further, misuse and abuse of the gifts of the Spirit were but one of several problems that Paul dealt with in the book of 1 Corinthians whose root was lack of love, failure to value fellow members of the Body of Christ and lack of unity.
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?