Help: isn't religion just a way to explain the mysterious?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
nickelig
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Help: isn't religion just a way to explain the mysterious?

Post by nickelig »

an agnostic asked me this question and i'm not exactly sure how to answer it. how would you (all) approach this?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'm sure I'll miss the real point of the question being asked, but...

If the "mysterious" is beyond the physical, being everlasting life after death or similar, and "science" can't talk on any such truths (since it only deals with what is physical) but "religion" can, then it seems to me religion attempts to deal with more important truths. Truths that can define how we behave in life, how we live life, and who we become in life, and what may happen to us after life. It seems obvious to me which area should be given more personal attention.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

I don't think religion explains the mysterious.
I am relucktant to use the word religion, religion has been contaminated by men/women. I prefer the word faith, which seems to be very personal.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

If I was asked that particular question, I would be encouraging the enquirer to elaborate some more.

What do they mean by "religion" - any particular one in mind? After all, they are not all the same by any means.
Use of the word "just" - the answer may be a Yes for some religions, but a No for others.
And leading on from there, when it comes to "explain" - is an explanation all that religion is about? Or might a particular religion offer more than just that?
What do they mean by "mysterious" - what exactly are we talking about here?

Such a question could lead you into an interesting discussion, but I would like to hear more from the enquirer in order to know just where it might be most productive to go next.

I also find that it is useful to steer the conversation from vague generalities to more specific statements, and from other religions (or religion as a general term) to the Christian message.

If you are ever stumped by somebody's question, ask them to talk some more about it. Ask questions of their questions. Ask for their current understanding on the issue. Do what you can to find out more about their underlying position. Then you will have a better knowledge of what they are talking about, needing to know, and more idea of what to say next. :wink:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Heck, religion (Christianity being the only one doing a good job) is used to explain the normal everyday stuff, not just the mysterious.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

Heck, religion (Christianity being the only one doing a good job) is used to explain the normal everyday stuff, not just the mysterious.
True, Kmart. In some way or another, the Christian philosophy is always helping or healing the world. Just apply it to your everyday life and you'll see what I mean.