Strange behaving asteroid

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Strange behaving asteroid

Post by DRDS »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp88bQNluN8

What do you all think could be causing this? Do any of you all know any kind of naturalistic explanation to this or does it look like it's possibly supernatural? I know many currently think it could be supernatural. But I guess time will tell for sure. Very interesting though.
Thadeyus
Established Member
Christian: No

Re: Strange behaving asteroid

Post by Thadeyus »

Since every bit of dirt/rock/ice-ball floating around our parent Sun is effectively unique.....

Then we are witnessing the interactions of the Sun's energy on this particular piece of inter-Solar flotsam.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by WannaLearn »

Thadeyus wrote:Since every bit of dirt/rock/ice-ball floating around our parent Sun is effectively unique.....

Then we are witnessing the interactions of the Sun's energy on this particular piece of inter-Solar flotsam.
Now that sounded pretty Intelligent. y*-:)
PerciFlage
Established Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by PerciFlage »

In the paper referenced in the article referenced in the video, the authors hypothesise that the trail of dust trail is caused by the asteroid's rotation. The theory runs that the asteroid is of the kind of loosely bound rubble and dust (as opposed to solid rock and/or ice), and has been experiencing an increase in rotational velocity due to the effects of solar radiation (that is, photons transferring their energy to the asteroids motion), with the result that centrifugal force reached the point where bits of dust were able to reach escape velocity and form a tail.

They don't believe the tail is likely to be an outgassing of water vapour due to the minimal or nil quantities of ice found in similar asteroids. They also don't believe the tail is consistent with debris from the impact of two or more asteroids as was the case with another recently observed tailed asteroid - http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/fe ... eroid.html
Thadeyus
Established Member

Post by Thadeyus »

WannaLearn wrote:Now that sounded pretty Intelligent. y*-:)
I try to be concise when posting within my limited windows of opportunity. It some times works....but not often.

+1 PerciFlage : :thumbsup:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

DRDS wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp88bQNluN8

What do you all think could be causing this? Do any of you all know any kind of naturalistic explanation to this or does it look like it's possibly supernatural? I know many currently think it could be supernatural. But I guess time will tell for sure. Very interesting though.
I'm a little puzzled personally as to why would you think it supernatural rather than some natural explanation?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)