The Second Coming

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The Second Coming

Post by ultimate777 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:In in the years soon after Jesus's ascension did Christtians think the Second Coming would happen in the next 50 to 75 years? If so, did this change by 200 A.D., or when?

Does belief in the Second Coming allow for intellegent life in other galaxies? When the Second Coming happens, what happens to them?
It may seem that some thought that the second coming would be in their lifetime.
Wishful thinking and all that.
The Christ made it clear that the time was unknown ( even to Him at that time) and that people should not focus on it ( As per the first verses in ACTS), didn't stop people from WANTING and HOPING for it to be sooner.
And we all know how desire can cloud how we see and hear and understand things.
Don't a lot of Christians believe that the Bible cannot have the authors being innacurate about the past, present , or future, no matter what, period, end of story?

Or is that believed by an insignificant number and always has been?

Do wishful thinking and inerrancy mix?

I hope you notice I think your reply respectful and even though I have some disagreement I am trying to be respectful back.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Ultimate,

You really should start reading the Bible to learn what it says for yourself. Why not try a paraphrase like The Living Bible or The Message. The Good News Bible is pleasant to read as well.

FL
You still are a cyberbully, but maybe others will take exeption to me not answering your reply a little more.

What do you think put the idea in my head to ask the question if not the Bible? I ran into the passages in Matthew long ago, but I could not remember where in the New Testament. I do remember the fundamentalists I was hanging out with at the time could not give answers about the passage I could understand.

I think over the months we have reached a place where if you have even as much as implied critisism of anything about me you should leave such things to others and for a long time at least, hold your peace.
If there is anything about me less than perfect I think others can point it out in a more positive way than you :ewink:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

You would do well to read the Bible more often, Ultimate. The questions you ask and the analogies you make (I'm thinking of your Pit Bulls thread) reveal that you are unfamiliar - even hostile - with the Bible. For an unbeliever, this is to be expected but your profile says you are Christian.

What's going on?

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:06 pm

You would do well to read the Bible more often, Ultimate. The questions you ask and the analogies you make (I'm thinking of your Pit Bulls thread) reveal that you are unfamiliar - even hostile - with the Bible. For an unbeliever, this is to be expected but your profile says you are Christian.

What's going on?

FL
A sorrow that is shared is half a sorrow. A joy that is shared is a double joy. (Swedish proverb)

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Prestigious Senior Member

I see you are a judgemental cyberbully who cannot hold his peace very long, that's what's going on. No criticism from you to me, sarcasm, or even irony is welcome.
It took months of abuse from you to me to even suggest that someone, anyone, should not speak or write, as big a proponent of free speech as I am. But you showed me even I have limits.
You' re right about hostile, though, I am so hostile to you that I wish there was a button on this computer to make you personally itch all over for at least a couple of hours.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Ultimate,

Furstentum Liechtenstein is only trying to get you to think for yourself. You are overreacting.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

ultimate777 wrote: I see you are a judgemental cyberbully who cannot hold his peace very long, that's what's going on. No criticism from you to me, sarcasm, or even irony is welcome.
It took months of abuse from you to me to even suggest that someone, anyone, should not speak or write, as big a proponent of free speech as I am. But you showed me even I have limits.
You' re right about hostile, though, I am so hostile to you that I wish there was a button on this computer to make you personally itch all over for at least a couple of hours.
If you spent time reading & studying your Bible, you would be a lot calmer. Here is an Ultimate-style question for you:

If two Christian pilots are flying a Boeing and the rapture comes, is God to be blamed for the deaths of all the passengers aboard? how could a just God allow such a thing?

Use your understanding of the Bible to answer the question.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Tena5742
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Tena5742 »

Thanks for info.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
ultimate777 wrote: I see you are a judgemental cyberbully who cannot hold his peace very long, that's what's going on. No criticism from you to me, sarcasm, or even irony is welcome.
If you spent time reading & studying your Bible, you would be a lot calmer. Here is an Ultimate-style question for you:

If two Christian pilots are flying a Boeing and the rapture comes, is God to be blamed for the deaths of all the passengers aboard? how could a just God allow such a thing?

Use your understanding of the Bible to answer the question.

FL
Yes, He would, and I don't know how a just God could allow such a thing, and I suspect He never will.

Now, answer me this, I asked about the effect of the Second Coming on intellegent life in other galaxies, which I think there is. Where does the Bible take on that?
If not that even the possibility of the intellegent life?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:Ultimate,

Furstentum Liechtenstein is only trying to get you to think for yourself. You are overreacting.
Rick, I believe he has always had hostile intent towards me. Goodness knows he is not the only one to criticise me here. But I think if you go over his replies on my threads over
the months you will see a particularly vicious tendency. Is there a way to access his posts to my threads seperated out from his other posts preferrably, and certainly from other people's posts? If I am wrong, I want to see it, but if I'm right I want to show it.

I would be suprised if he doesn't do it to others.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

ultimate777 wrote: Yes, He would, and I don't know how a just God could allow such a thing, and I suspect He never will.
What does the term ''a just God'' mean for you?
ultimate777 wrote:Now, answer me this, I asked about the effect of the Second Coming on intellegent life in other galaxies, which I think there is. Where does the Bible take on that?
If not that even the possibility of the intellegent life?
The Bible doesn't speak of life elsewhere than on the earth; it doesn't even hint at it. Where did you get this idea of intelligent life elsewhere ?

FL

+ + +

+ + +