What makes our bible right?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What makes our bible right?

Post by WannaLearn »

The Bible? Which Bible? The Protestant Canon has 66 books. The Ethiopian Orthodox Canon 81. There are several versions of the Bible. You happened to pick one, but there are books, epistles and letters left out of yours that appear in others. What is in your bible was decided by somebody back in time that wanted it to say certain things and left out certain others. The King James Bible says what King James and the Church or England wanted it to say. The Wycliff Bible says other things. Your Bible as evidence wasn't compiled for hundreds of years after the death of the central character. There are no original documents and no way to prove that the named authors of the books actually wrote them.

A question someone asked me. y:-/
Last edited by WannaLearn on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thadeyus
Established Member
Christian: No

Re: What makes are bible right?

Post by Thadeyus »

Well...we do have surviving, older manuscripts though....

So...why not slowly and painstakingly go back through all the older and older copies of said scriptures and work out what is the best translation of the original texts...?

*Scratches head*

That has actually kind of always been my question. Hope it adds nicely to your own WannaLearn. :)

Much cheers to all.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What makes are bible right?

Post by 1over137 »

I hope all those have this in common: "16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

Much cheers to all :)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: What makes our bible right?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

WannaLearn wrote:The Bible? Which Bible? The Protestant Canon has 66 books. The Ethiopian Orthodox Canon 81.
This question is a variant of ''Which translation is correct?'' Stop tripping over the motifs in the carpet! Choose the Bible you are comfortable with and go with that.

:cheers:

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

That is what im comfortable with, just trying to see and possibly fix others views.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

WannaLearn wrote:That is what im comfortable with... possibly fix others views.
You've set for yourself an impossible task. God does the fixing in a Christian's life.

FL y:-B
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

WannaLearn wrote:The Bible? Which Bible? The Protestant Canon has 66 books. The Ethiopian Orthodox Canon 81. There are several versions of the Bible. You happened to pick one, but there are books, epistles and letters left out of yours that appear in others. What is in your bible was decided by somebody back in time that wanted it to say certain things and left out certain others. The King James Bible says what King James and the Church or England wanted it to say. The Wycliff Bible says other things. Your Bible as evidence wasn't compiled for hundreds of years after the death of the central character. There are no original documents and no way to prove that the named authors of the books actually wrote them.

A question someone asked me. y:-/
Wannalearn, this is more brash talk than an actual question by someone to you. Please have a look at "textual criticism" for the bible, you will find it most illuminating for your own self if not for others. We have thousands of manuscripts and have broad agreement on almost all of it. Some small parts are in question but the overwhelming rest of it simply is substantial to respect the fact that what we have today is pretty much what christ had in his day.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

Is that like a book ?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

No. In short its a process of how the biblical texts are analyzed and authenticated. Just google "biblical textual criticism". You will see.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Personally I think that the RC canon is more complete and that I would add the Epistle of Barnabas too.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:Personally I think that the RC canon is more complete and that I would add the Epistle of Barnabas too.
Mr. Ambiguous ;) ,

For clarity, are you saying the Roman Catholic canon is more complete because it has more books? Or are you saying the Protestant canon is not complete, because it lacks the books in the RC bible? Or something different?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:Personally I think that the RC canon is more complete and that I would add the Epistle of Barnabas too.
Why not the gospel of Thomas?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
Mr. Ambiguous ;) ,

For clarity, are you saying the Roman Catholic canon is more complete because it has more books? Or are you saying the Protestant canon is not complete, because it lacks the books in the RC bible? Or something different?
I think that that deutrocanonical books/apocraphical books in the RC canon serve a purpose and they shouldn't have been removed from the Protestant canon.
I will also add that I think the writings of the apostolic fathers should also be part of reading BUT not part of the bible canon.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
Why not the gospel of Thomas?
Because it is gnostic in its teachings.
I mention the Epistle of Barnabas because it was part of one of the oldest codex's (Sinaiticus) which means it was at one time viewed a "canon".
I agree that the anti-semitic parts may be contoversial for some, but I think that it is an important letter in terms of historical relevance for the thoughts of those times.
Clement of Alexandria cited it, which places it somewhere between 70 AD and 130 AD ( because of the mention of the temple destruction in the Epistle).
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Just to note, I don't mean that the Epistle should be part of the Canon, but should read along with it, like the apostolic fathers.
Just wanted to clarify that.