Lennon's imagine! utopian dream or a possibility?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Lennon's imagine! utopian dream or a possibility?

Post by neo-x »

What do you think?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Lennon's imagine! utopian dream or a possibility?

Post by RickD »

That is, without doubt, THE single most overrated song of all-time!

That's the ultimate pipe dream of those without Christ.

I had a friend a while back, who was playing 2 songs. One was Amazing Grace. The other was Imagine. Two polar opposites. The first song, Amazing Grace, is a beautiful song about Christ's Grace. The second song, Imagine, a anti-God song about a humanist utopia pipe dream.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

That will all be obliterated in the firey depths of the Sun as it expand to swallow the solar system before it goes nova.
Thadeyus
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Thadeyus »

Silvertusk wrote:That will all be obliterated in the firey depths of the Sun as it expand to swallow the solar system before it goes nova.
Sorry to nit pick, but I didn't think our Sun had enough mass to nova? I thought it's fate was as a simple, glowing ember of a spent star? Brown dwarf or something?

Though, in the long term, you are quite right and the death of the Sun will consume pretty much all of the inner planets. Not sue if it's death-throws of expansion will reach out to the gas giants.

I do admit to not minding Lennon's song. Though my tastes in music are of a more eclectic.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I think the biggest issue is that mankind no matter what will find any excuse to hate another, even John Lennon had splits with Yoko because they could not stand each other sometimes.

The world can live as one, but we can't.

Nice song though, it does inspire hope and I hope it does inspire people to be better to one another.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Lennon: he spent too much time in ashrams :evilnod: and that screwed with his head.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Thadeyus wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:That will all be obliterated in the firey depths of the Sun as it expand to swallow the solar system before it goes nova.
Sorry to nit pick, but I didn't think our Sun had enough mass to nova? I thought it's fate was as a simple, glowing ember of a spent star? Brown dwarf or something?

Though, in the long term, you are quite right and the death of the Sun will consume pretty much all of the inner planets. Not sue if it's death-throws of expansion will reach out to the gas giants.

I do admit to not minding Lennon's song. Though my tastes in music are of a more eclectic.
Heard it is big enough to go nova just not supernova.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hare Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, Hare Rama, Rama, Rama, Hare Hare, Rama Krishna, Rama Hare, Hare Krishna.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:That is, without doubt, THE single most overrated song of all-time!

That's the ultimate pipe dream of those without Christ.

I had a friend a while back, who was playing 2 songs. One was Amazing Grace. The other was Imagine. Two polar opposites. The first song, Amazing Grace, is a beautiful song about Christ's Grace. The second song, Imagine, a anti-God song about a humanist utopia pipe dream.
Ditto..

Very overrated song, I think the music was made to chime with a Hindu chant.

Look at all the people in the picture - after death - nothing...

Ecclesiastes says it best - All is Vanity

Yet, there is great a beyond after we die and Jesus Christ paved the way back to God. Only through him can we be transformed back to what God intended for us all along. All other ways, well lead to another end that isn't imagine...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

A better title would have been "Imagine a Nightmare!"

Just because Lennon's drug-addled mind decided to believe in a false reality won't change what his actual reality truly became/what his fate will ultimately be. Lennon's belief in nothing above or below is the common strategy of those who would be mentally shattered if they realized and/or faced up to the fact that their deliberate and entrenched rebellion against God means an eternity of punishment, anguish, separation from God, and loss of all they would inherit if they had not decided to reject God. But they can't handle that fact, so they've lied to themselves for so long and have suppressed what they CAN understand about God, all to the extent that they now truly believe whatever the "reality" is that they have wrongly "imagined." Describing such people as being "deluded" doesn't truly do justice to the word.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I must say though, for those without God, this is the not only a dream, this is the only hope they have. And its a dream for sure because what human race has so far proven, that they fight, all the time.

By the way, I love amazing Grace, its probably the best spiritual song to me.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

The thought that came to me head was: "Where's the meaning that provides such sentiments with substance? What's the point?"

Even, perhaps, give me a gun now... as I don't want to entertain my life in a manner akin to Sisyphus where there is no real meaning.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Kurieuo wrote:The thought that came to me head was: "Where's the meaning that provides such sentiments with substance? What's the point?"

Even, perhaps, give me a gun now... as I don't want to entertain my life in a manner akin to Sisyphus where there is no real meaning.
I think this is something an atheist does not and perhaps could not relate to.

without.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

neo-x wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:The thought that came to me head was: "Where's the meaning that provides such sentiments with substance? What's the point?"

I think this is something an atheist does not and perhaps could not relate to.
What do you mean?

It was actually an Atheist philosopher I read who put forward that we should live life as though it has meaning, shaking our fists at "the gods" akin to Sisyphus. This, in his opinion, had an aura of nobility to it. Knowing that what we do in life is frivolous, and yet striving on none the less in the face of life's meaninglessness.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I know plenty of atheists who have meaning in life, who don't actually think life does not have any meaning. I find this to be a strawman kind of approach, like you cited "give me a gun right now and end it" type. To live a life one doesn't need objective meanings.

without.